Did you mean: 

MKV file not supported

(Topic created on: 01-12-2021 12:24 AM)
Antonis_Front
Journeyman
Options

Hello there,

Been a week since i bought a new UE50AU8072 UHD tv and got this is
I try to stream a mkv file through dlna (servvio server windows app), but always get the message that the file type is not supported.

I still can play the exact same file with my UE43NU7190 (2018) through the same app.. No transcoding, not anything.

How could this be possible to be able to play this in an older tv?

Thank you for your time !

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Depends on what format it was saved in.
0 Likes
Shnookerdookies
Voyager
Options
Obviously your tv doesn't play the older format either change for.at or re download in alternative format simples
0 Likes
Antonis_Front
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for your quick responses!
the case is, i found out that more files are not playable.. I'm curious about what is the reason for that (eg as proposed, I could redownload the files in alternative formats.. how could i know if the new format would be ok??).

To possibly make things easier, I post the multimedia specs of both TVs, and the encoding info of a specific file (plays just fine in 2018 tv, cannot play in new one).

UE43NU7190 (2018)UE43NU7190 (2018)UE50AU8090 (2021)UE50AU8090 (2021)File encoding 1File encoding 1File encoding 2File encoding 2

0 Likes
Antonis_Front
Journeyman
Options

After a little experimenting, here is a possible explanation:

My movie mkv file contains 2 audio files:

1. Dolby truehd with dolby atmos
  2. Dolby digital audio

As long as au8000 cannot handle dolby atmos on its own, i used mkvmerge to deactivate the atmos channel from the original file, saved as a new file and it actually worked. I suppose when i connect my tv with an atmos compliant soundbar through eARC, I could play the original file without problems!!
( I still cannot understand why my older tv can handle the original atmos encoded movie.. thoughts?)

0 Likes
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
If it was an audio problem, your TV would of said, no audio, try putting the mkv file on a USB stick and put that in your tv, it should play the film and give you the option to choose different audio
Antonis_Front
Journeyman
Options

Why would make a difference if my tv reads the file through usb or dlna?? It's the same file after all (in fact i have already tried that, didn't work).

Older tv reads it through dlna with no problem (i suppose it chooses audio track 2, which is ac3 dolby digital). 

0 Likes
Antonis_Front
Journeyman
Options

Thank you again for your sincere responses!
I think that the best solution is an alternative media player application that can handle these files (eg plex, emby etc..), as I understand the problem seems to be the audio encoder (no support for atmos files and aac-lc, at least without my eARC hdmi cable that is soon to be delivered!).

Let me try later this evening the plex / emby scenario, perhaps with some more audio / video encoder combinations (activating and deactivating audio/video channels with mkvmerge).

Thank you again for your ideas people, take care!

0 Likes