Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror Screen with VPN

(Topic created on: 14-08-2022 04:20 PM)
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Just wondering if there is a reason why  Samsung TVs block the ability to Mirror your phone screen to a Samsung TV if you have an active VPN on your phone?
13 REPLIES 13
Svein1967
Pioneer
Options

This is a Google/Android thing, not Samsung: " It is not possible to use Chromecast with a VPN on Android or iOS. This applies to the operating system's built-in mirroring functionality, as well as Google Chrome's mobile apps. To mirror your screen to Chromecast, you will have to use a PC or laptop instead"

PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Thank you for your reply. I don't use a chromecast I just connect my mobile screen to my TV. If I just connect my phone it connects ok but if my vpn is active the Samsung tv blocks the connection. I'm assuming it's because Samsung wants to retain your activity as a vpn doesn't allow your activity to be kept e.g if you use YouTube or go to websites or play music etc on your phone a vpn keeps it private and stops it being used by third oarties to send you advertisements and notifications etc. I can understand it if you log in to Samsung but if your not logged into Samsung then Samsung shouldn't be gathering your data. I don't think all TVs do thus I think it's just certain brands. It's common for manufacturers to use tricks e.g try recording a small video clip and send it to an iPhone via Bluetooth. The iPhone will block it and nake you go through their iTunes app?
Svein1967
Pioneer
Options

Ok, I misunderstood your question. How do you connect, with a cable? 

AndrewL
Options

@PaulC59: I think the inability to screen mirror when a VPN is active on your phone comes down to a visibility issue. Screen mirroring requires both the phone and TV to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network, but VPNs tend to hide your IP address and change your location, which would naturally interfere with the mirroring feature. 

Preston2602
Explorer
Options
As Andrew has mentioned. Your behind a virtual private network which can lead to certain connectivity issues. This is generally used when browsing on an open network ie connecting to either a WiFi network in a coffee shop on a train etc. Screen mirroring I would say needs to be done when your connected to your home network and vpn is off :smiling-face:
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
No it connects via Bluetooth. If its a Samsung phone it connects easier I think
0 Likes
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I'll check this out as I think it might depend on a TVs Bluetooth capability as I think the phone connects directly via Bluetooth rather than WiFi when using smart share on a Samsung phone
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Ah, interesting! There IS actually a workaround to this, but you need to have your phone rooted. Once you have done that, install the VPN hotspot app (green logo) from the Play Store. Then, it should be possible to mirror your phone to your TV screen! Hope this helps! 😁
Amirantino
First Poster
Options

I have the sam problem, but when I use express VPN it's OK to mirror! Now days that my express doesn't work I can connect to my TV using other VPN apps

0 Likes