Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum size USB device to pause and record on UE43AU8000KXXU TV

(Topic created on: 02-07-2021 10:50 PM)
Bigruss
Apprentice
Options

Hi all,

I have just bought the above TV. Does anyone know what is the maximum size USB stick that is compatible with the TV. It doesn't say in the manual. 

What are you using?

As it is a 4K TV I want to buy a stick that is appropriate with the size of the files.

Thanks Russ

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
AndrewL
Options

@Bigruss: There doesn't appear to be a limit on the storage capacity for connected USB storage devices, Russ. Please be aware however that the Timeshift function on the TV does require a minimum of 1.5GB, and USB memory sticks and flash drives are not supported.  It is recommended to use the USB hard disk that supports USB 2.0 or later and 5,400 rpm or higher.

antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
It also depends how often you're going to leave it before watching any programs. I have a 500GB HDD in my freesat box and struggle to fill even half of that at 1080i resolution which is what most HD channels on Freesat are broadcast in still. So basically it's what you can afford. 2TB may suffice but 4TB+ may be more sensible if you want to record entire series and binge watch them later
Bigruss
Apprentice
Options

Hi Andrew, That's a shame you can't use a memory stick, as I have a few memory sticks lying around. Thank you for the info, I do have a few hard drives lying around too as I build computers in my spare time. I have a couple of 7200RPM drives and 1 SSD.

0 Likes
Bigruss
Apprentice
Options

I wasn't planning on recording many programmes as I watch Amazon Prime most of the time. My old Virgin Tivo box had a 500GB harddrive, I never managed to fill that one. Virgin say that a HD programme takes up 4 times the amount of space of a normal SD programme. So How much space does a 4K programme take up compared to the HD one. I think I will Google that. Thank you so much for commenting.

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
The compression level is actually slightly better so 2-3 times at most
Redlaw
First Poster
Options
Hi, Just bought this tv, and an external hard drive. All attempts at pausing or recording are met with 'not available'. Does this tv support these?
0 Likes