Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M70A Smart Monitor apps not working

(Topic created on: 19-01-2021 10:28 AM)
Tinkertoy
Apprentice
Options

I have set up my M70A Smart monitor, NetFlix, Prime, UKTV and YouTube works great.  BBC sounds and iPlayer does not work.  The connecting wheel turns and then tells me that the app is not available for the device but its listed.  How can this be?

I removed the apps from the Hub bar, turned off and then tried to re-install but on trying it tells me the apps are already installed!!!! 

Don't tell me I have to reset to factory settings as I this takes another portion of my life I wish to preserve.  P.S  Systems software has been updated.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16
PhilW2
Journeyman
Options

I logged a fault call with Samsung with same issue. Apparently Samsung is waiting for BBC to update its servers to 'recognise' their new smart monitors. No indication given about timescales.

0 Likes
Tinkertoy
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for your reply.  I thought it was a ‘me’.  Problem.  Let’s hope the BBC sort it out soon: )

0 Likes
Tinkertoy
Apprentice
Options

I received an email asking is I received a solution for my question.  Answer.  NO not from Samsung.  I would appreciate a reply from them and at least a time scale.  I see adverts for the new smart solution monitor.  Well how long before more users start asking the question without getting an answer from Samsung?

0 Likes
A1998
Apprentice
Options

I received my new M70 monitor over the weekend and I have the same issue. BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds app displaying the same message: " "Sorry, this application is not currently available on your device. Please exit/ quit and try again later". Samsung said it was not their issue and that I had to contact the BBC. 

0 Likes
Tinkertoy
Apprentice
Options

Does Samsung really know what is going on here.  My first reply was from PhilW2 who states that Samsung is waiting for the BBC to sort the problem out and then A1998 has been told that's its not Samsung's issue and they have to contact the BBC.  So then Samsung, why is iPlayer pre-installed and available via your apps.  So far, this is three UK owners who invested in this super smart which is not really doing what it says it can do.  Have they heard of the Trade Descriptions Act

0 Likes
PhilW2
Journeyman
Options

If you look at the 'More information' in the BBC apps on the Smart Monitor, it does say that Samsung only plays the role of intermediary and that the seller (in this case the BBC) has full responsibility for the app. I have contacted the BBC through their iPlayer help pages and will post any response I receive. In the meantime, although not ideal, add the Internet app to the shortcut bar. If you bookmark BBC iPlayer in the internet app, you can still watch in a couple of clicks.

0 Likes
PhilW2
Journeyman
Options

Response from BBC iPlayer support (which is particularly unhelpful and places the issue neither with the BBC nor Samsung apparently!!): -

Thanks for getting back in touch with BBC iPlayer Support.

I understand you’ve been having trouble with the iPlayer app on your Samsung Smart Monitor.

I’d be happy to help and hopefully, I can point you in the right direction.

I’ve checked and the Samsung device you’re using is not actually supported by BBC iPlayer. I don't think we have ever supported monitors with iPlayer. Unfortunately, we cannot offer any technical help for devices which are not certified.

Devices are not supported for two reasons usually, either it has not passed the benchmark needed for iPlayer or it is so new that the manufacturer has not yet sent it forward for certification (if this is the case you should contact Samsung to do that). You can see the list of iPlayer supported Samsung devices here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/supported-devices/samsung

You can try some of these steps to see if they help at all:

https://bbc.in/2ZddUUW

You do not have to go out and buy a brand, new TV, there are much more cost-effective ways for you to watch iPlayer. You can adapt your TV using a set-top box or a streamer device. These will allow you to watch iPlayer, while bypassing the performance issues you’re currently having.

We cannot endorse any particular brand, but we do have a comprehensive list for devices you can buy, and you can read that here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/supported-devices/existing-device-help

Don’t hesitate to get back in touch if you have any other problems.

0 Likes
Tinkertoy
Apprentice
Options

Hello 'PhilW2', thank you for the update.  It does appear that that either Samsung have not applied for Certification or are in the process of doing so.  I would of thought that Samsung would monitor these channels and pick up on positive and negative comments that are being written on these pages.  

0 Likes
A1998
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the update PhilW2. Most appreciated. 

So yes, it seems that Samsung have not yet applied for the certification at the BBC. 

Is there someway we can get back in contact with Samsung to clarify when they will be requesting this? 

0 Likes