Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 30-05-2019 08:01 AM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

I concur with @shaunevo  in that I don’t think it will resolve the lip sync issue.  Hopefully (please!) an EARC implementation update may resolve some of the HDMI CEC issues between the TV and Soundbar eg intermittent auto  switch on control of Soundbar when using TV remote.  (My Q90R Soundbar always switches off with the TV but whether it turns on is a lottery, intermittent and unpredictable - all pretty rubbish for flagship products marketed under the Q banner!  I have a script set up in SmartThings but this stops working after a while and needs to be reactivated).

With respect to a hardware modification I’d be amazed if Samsung implemented anything as it would probably require a new circuit board in the OCB.

Having tracked this issue since I purchased my Q90 series TV and Soundbar in October 2019, personally I think we’re stuck with the lip sync issue.  Wouldn’t it be good if Samsung offered the customers involved an attractive trade back scheme to replace the defective products with newer models that have addressed the lip sync problem.  A bit of positive PR would be generated rather than all this negativity.

0 Likes
StevenLyall
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for this.  Regarding the notion of trading in for new hardware, is there any knowledge of newer hardware being free of lip-sync issues?

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

A good point, I’m assuming that because all the posts are related to R suffix products which I think refers to 2019 that subsequent products have addressed this problem.  I Think that there is an audio pass through option on 2020 TVs.  Can anyone else advise/confirm please.

0 Likes
shaunevo
Explorer
Options

I tried to get a refund from John Lewis after the engineer said that the lip sync had been  reduced as much as possible with software. John Lewis say it’s a software issue so they won’t refund or exchange the product, Samsung won’t admit they even have an issue. 

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@shaunevo wrote:

I tried to get a refund from John Lewis after the engineer said that the lip sync had been  reduced as much as possible with software. John Lewis say it’s a software issue so they won’t refund or exchange the product, Samsung won’t admit they even have an issue. 

I don't see how that can be a valid argument unless John Lewis can make a SW available that corrects the problem. For sure, the product they sold included also the SW.

userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@StevenLyall wrote:

Thanks for this.  Regarding the notion of trading in for new hardware, is there any knowledge of newer hardware being free of lip-sync issues?

We got the report in this thread that the bypass function in Q9xT (that corrects the excessive audio delay) can only be activated with eARC active. So not a solution when using either ARC or the ToSLink output.

0 Likes
JoseBcn79
Journeyman
Options

Hi all!! 
The lip sync issues are present only in hdmi ports or internal apps and tdt too?

Thanks

0 Likes
StevenLyall
Pioneer
Options

No problem with the internal apps.

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@JoseBcn79 wrote:

Hi all!! 
The lip sync issues are present only in hdmi ports or internal apps and tdt too?

Thanks

Only for sound in Dolby Digital (all variants) that comes via the HDMI inputs. (Don't know what "tdt" is.) My workaround is to bypass the TV  using S/PDIF (opto and coax) to AVR and adjust AVR audio delay accordingly. DD5.1 from TV apps is OK using zero extra audio delay.

0 Likes
JoseBcn79
Journeyman
Options

DVB-T i wanted to say....

Any solution by software?

0 Likes