Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 30-05-2019 08:01 AM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
jwnz
Apprentice
Options

Glad to hear that audio passthru is a solution for some people, but in my case it's unavailable - seems like you need to have an eARC device downstream or it refuses to pass-thru at all - daft.

And for the record, I experience an additional audio delay of ~200ms with Dolby Digital, compared to stereo PCM.

This test was done using XBOX One S and a QA80Q85 with playback via the internal TV speakers.

A separate Oppo Bluray player has even worse delay at times, but it definitely varies. I have no way to measure this delay except by eye (I'm a professional sound editor) and I reckon it gets up to 10 frames (~420ms)

This is now an extremely well documented issue and pretty appalling for such expensive high-end units which claim to support these surround formats.

@samsung please fix ASAP!

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

Sorry to hear that. So do you see the pass through option on your QxxT, but it is greyed  out?

My measurement showed around 160ms extra delay for Dolby Digital vs PCM so your assessment of 200ms is in the same range (of unacceptable design flaw). 

0 Likes
Ben7777
Student
Options

The 2 tv's I just bought are 2020 models. Yes, I can opt for the "Pass Through" option and solve the issue, but then I'm not getting Dolby Digital sound (we can clearly hear the difference) - again, super disappointed that I see zero feedback from Samsung on this. From what I'm hearing from you, the Pass Through option is their solution. I'll add that even that gets off sync at times and I have to pause and restart the stream if I want the sound to properly sync again. Just ridiculous for a $2k tv. Also, the picture has a lot of artifacting in the blacks when there's a backlights (meaning when a scene is shot in a dark room but there is a light coming from behind the subjects, there is imperfections in the black). Just a side note there. 

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@Ben7777 : Now I'm a bit lost.

If I understand correctly now, you have the QxxT model.

You can select "Pass Through" in the TV audio settings, but when you do that you can not select DD 5.1 output from the source?

After you select Pass Through, is the audio output selection between PCM and Dolby Digital still available in the TV setting?

0 Likes
Mdshamilton
Apprentice
Options

I bought a 2020 QE55Q90T back in April. I plugged my Sonos Playbar into it and had terrible issues with the lip sync delays and managed to fiddle around with the settings to get it to an acceptable level where the delay was barely noticeable. Last week I bought a new Sonos Arc and plugged it into the HDMI 3 eARC socket. This results in absolutely no lip sync delays at all. I would recommend that if you have an Arc capable soundbar that you plug that into the HDMI eARC socket or upgrade your soundbar if possible.  

0 Likes
jwnz
Apprentice
Options

Pass-thru is greyed out - it only works with HDMI sources and when the audio playback is via an eARC enabled device.

In my case I have a Home Theatre amp which is not eARC.

This is ridiculous - there's no reason to disable pass-thru.

In addition, it seems the TV is unable to accept multichannel PCM, which would presumably be another way to sidestep the DD decoding delay.

For now I have to run all external sources thru the amp, then use the TV as a dumb display.

0 Likes
sut1576
Journeyman
Options

Hi guys 

Looking for some help to see if my q90r soundbar and my QE65Q9 tv are setup right. 

I am running a firestick that is connected to my one connect box via one of the hdmi ports and my sky box is connected to the arc connection .  The issue is that the audio is out when watching TV via the apps I use on my firestick and when I watch video on demand service again on the firestick the audio is thrown out even further.  I now the apps I'm using are fine so the issue is clearly the fault of the soundbar or the TV.  The audio via my sky box is perfect. 

Can anyone advise how it can be fixed as its driving me crazy. 

Thanks for any help.

Ant 

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@sut1576 I don't understand how you have connected the HW-Q90 soundbar. And what you mean by Sky box to ARC...

Anyway, the problem with the TV is delayed audio when the format is Dolby Digital and connected to the One Connect Box.

If you have free HDMI inputs on the soundbar, the way to avoid the audio delay is connect external HDMI sources (both video and sound) to those and connect the ARC port from the soundbar to the ARC port on the TV.

I'm not familiar with your Firestick and Sky box to know if that will give you other problems, with remote control etc but the audio sync should be fine if you adjust the audio delay setting in the soundbar to match the video processing delay in the TV. The sound from the TV internal apps are already delay adjusted (at least in the Q90R TV, probably also if you have the Q9), so use 0ms in the soundbar for internal apps.

Another way to avoid the audio delay in the TV is to connect external sources HDMI to the One Connect Box but bypass the TV with the sound by connecting optical or coax sound directly to the soundbar. A digital audio switch can give you more available inputs (because I believe the HW-Q90R only has 1).

sut1576
Journeyman
Options

@userjYtfoTda0t Thank you for the reply. To explain how my sky box is connected to the soundbar.  From the hdmi output on my sky box i am running a hdmi cable to the arc port on my soundbar.   I assume this is how it should be connected ?

Thanks 

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@sut1576 No. The ARC port on the soundbar is capable of receiving sound (returned) from the TV.

The ARC port on the TV is capable of sending sound back to the soundbar at the same time as receiving video from the soundbar (routed through the soundbar from the HDMI ports on the soundbar.

With the Q90R TV (and I believe the Q9 etc), the ARC channel is good for getting sound (also DD5.1 and DD+) from internal TV-apps. If you connect external sources through the soundbar, the ARC channel is (shall) not be used.