Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 30-05-2019 08:01 AM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
StevenLyall
Pioneer
Options

Thanks - do we know that eARC will resolve lip-sync issues?

0 Likes
Ben7777
Student
Options

No, it doesn't I had to dumb my system down, I can use 5.1 Dolby sound or it simply won't sync. So lame super bummed. HEY SAMSUNG ANSWER US!

0 Likes
Ben7777
Student
Options

UGH, so lame. No plans to update? I'm thinking of returning all Samsung TV's we just bought and going LG

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

@Ben7777 wrote:

No, it doesn't I had to dumb my system down, I can use 5.1 Dolby sound or it simply won't sync. So lame super bummed. HEY SAMSUNG ANSWER US!

I'm not sure what you mean but the delay affects Dolby Digital signals (like DD 5.1) when passed through the TV. You can dumb it down to PCM (2 channel stereo - which possibly is encoded in Dolby Surround which can give you surround sound when decoded with Dolby ProLogic (Cinema). Another way is to transport the Dolby Digital signal directly to a sound system either with HDMI directly connected to an AVR or soundbar, or have the sound bypassing the TV by using S/PDIF (opto or coax) directly from extenal sources to a sound system (AVR/soundbar). The S/PDIF option gives possibility for DD 5.1 but not DD+. I connect this way to my 7.1 AVR system. Sounds good.

0 Likes
shaunevo
Explorer
Options

I would take them back if I was you. 
I brought both a q90 sound bar and q950r tv. I kept waiting for a software update to fix the issue, contacted Samsung the John Lewis and still nothing done. John Lewis won’t take the stuff back as they say it’s a software issue. Samsung say they don’t have any issues but use pcm sound quality.  I know connect sky to my sound bar then to the tv. No lip sync but other issues.  Take it back before you get stuck with it. 

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi @shaunevo 

I have configured my Q series TV, Q90 soundbar and SKY Q box the same as you.  As you say it solves the lip sync issue but I experience other intermittent problems which I suspect are HDMI CEC related.  Switching on the SKY Q box ‘wakes up’ the TV and Soundbar but often I get no output signal from the SKY box and sometimes it locks up and won’t respond to anything from the SKY remote controller.  This necessitates a power cycle of the SKY box which is a real pain.  I think this problem is caused by the HDMI handshake (or lack of it) between the Soundbar and the SKY Q box, my understanding is that the SKY box won’t output a signal until it knows it’s connected to something.  Seems overly complicated to me.

Do you, or anyone else, experience this problem?

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

I concur with @shaunevo , if you have the option to return the TVs I would do so and purchase LG.  Having had a dialogue with the UK Presidents Escalation Team throughout 2020,  I have no confidence that Samsung will ever fix this problem, which is sad indictment of them!

0 Likes
shaunevo
Explorer
Options

I also have to power cycle the sky sometimes to get a picture. Funny thing is if you turn the sky off with the remote when you have no picture it comes on as the sky box turns off.  Also I have set SmartThings to turn on the sound bar but this doesn’t work 100% of the time either. 

0 Likes
me83
Explorer
Options

The resurgence of this thread made me shudder when thinking about the issues I went through with the Q90R and its audio delay.

Sadly, the issue won't ever be resolved so it's a case of live with it or return the equipment.

After weeks and weeks of endless back and forth, I eventually returned my equipment last year for a full refund. Since then, I've purchased an LG CX 65" and a Sonos Arc soundbar - the audio delay is gone, the sound is great, the picture is fantastic. Unless you're one of those people who is terrified by the thought of burn-in (there's really no need to be worried these days, but that's a topic of its own) then this is a superb way to go.

Ian57
Pioneer
Options

I hadn’t noticed that with my SKY box but probably because my head is in a cabinet turning off the power! 😉

Yes same issue with SmartThings, it works OK when first set up but then seems to be intermittent in operation even though I haven’t changed anything.  Disabling and then re-enabling the function in SmartThings works for a while then the issue recurs.  I’m thinking that I may just connect SKY Q box back into Q90 TV and just use PCM sound as the HDMI interface and source selection seemed much more stable than that in the Soundbar.

Pretty rubbish all round really.

0 Likes