Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 28-01-2021 06:33 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
skidude_88
First Poster
Options

Just wanted to say that the suggestion to set each cable 's HDMI Delay Level to "Slow1"  in the self diag. Signal Info  menu  (I think found on Page 10 of this thread) has improved the lip-sync for me.

Have Virgin > Q80T > Pioneer VSX329 AVR

0 Likes
Jimbo095
Apprentice
Options

Hi all, I've also had the lip sync issue for a few years with my Q90r soundbar and Q975FN when using the one connect box and wanting Dolby 5.1/Atmos etc, I don't want PCB/stereo, or what's the point in the soundbar.  Been using the sometimes glitchy work around of SKY/Nvidia Shield Pro direct to the soundbar and Arc back to OCB.  Like everyone else I'm so disappointed that the flagship of it's time (late 2018) costing nearly £4k doesn't deliver DOLBY etc when connected via the OCB without lip sync incurable delays.  Question is, is there a Samsung TV that cures the issue as I'm looking to buy another 75 inch TV but this time hooked up to the Sonos ARC playbar, which I believe has the same issues with mine, and lots of people's TV's?  I've heard eARC solves it but which TV's feature this, or should I bin Samsung and go elsewhere? Thanks in advance peeps...

0 Likes
shaunevo
Explorer
Options

I don’t know about you but I will never spend another penny with Samsung, I brought a q950r and Q90r soundbar. Samsung won’t even admit they have a lip sync issue. 

userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

I don't have first hand knowledge of it but a previous report in this thread says that the 2020 Q9xT TV, when using eARC, provides a bypass setting that avoids the excessive (Dolby) audio delay. (Apparently it doesn't correct the audio delay if only ARC can be used, and I assume that the same is true  when using TosLink.)

0 Likes
Jimbo095
Apprentice
Options

I totally understand that stance, so if I want a 75 inch TV that doesn't have the issue when connected to the Sonos Arc or Q90r soundbars, which do you recommend?

0 Likes
Jimbo095
Apprentice
Options

I believe most of the Samsung 2020 models have eARC, for example the Q60T and Q70T TV's, which are much cheaper than the £4k I paid back in Feb 2019?  In terms of panel, I realise technology moves on but would it be right that 2 years later this £1,300 or £1,600 is a better quality product than mine AND won't have the audio delay?  I can't even see if they use a One Connect Box still, or has this been binned as it didn't deliver??

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

I don't have a clear view of the xxT models, but look out for differences regarding panel refresh rate (some are only 60Hz, which doesn't suit 24/25Hz film material nor me that needs motion interpolation). There are also differences in antireflex performance between models. (For me this is also an essential feature also in my dimmed TV-room, where Q90R performs "just enough".) Maybe also check for experiences in a forum for those soundbars you mention.

0 Likes
Wesley Naylor
First Poster
Options

Hi everyone. I’m an owner of a Samsung Q90R TV, Sonos Arc sound bar with Sub and a pair of Ones.

I have the Sonos system connected via hdmi3 (arc), and a PS5 via hdmi4.

When I play the TV built in APPs (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc) or the areal TV signal, I get dolby digital + with no lip-sync issues.

The problem occurs when I use my PS5. If I want to enjoy a good sound wile playing (selecting dolby on the PS5 audio settings), I get terrible lip-sync that makes playing shooter games not viable. Testing the delay with a AV lip-sync test shows values round 160-200 ms.

If I change the audio output of the PS5 to PCM, the lip-sync problem disappears but I only get stereo out of my Sonos, which is not acceptable.

to try and solve this issue, that many Samsung users are experiencing, I have bought a HDFury Arcana that arrives today, so I can extract audio signal from the PS5 and send it to my Sonos directly. It is obvious that the problem comes from the TV audio processing, so this should solve it.

The only concern I have is with the CEC, I’m not 100% sure if the TV remote will be able to control the Sonos sound bar wile the PS5 is on sending AV signal to the TV and Sonos via Arcana.

I will update this post as soon as I can test this configuration.

Regards,

Wesley

0 Likes
Wesley Naylor
First Poster
Options

Ok, the HDFury Arcana has arrived. Didn’t need any setup, just plug and play.

It has solved the lip-sync problem with the PS5 set to Dolby and the Q90R TV.

The configuration I’m using is:

PS5->HDFury Arcana-> arc out to TV + earc out to Sonos

The TV remote controls the Sonos volume without any problems or configuration needed. The CEC between TV-Arcana-Sonos works great.

This should solve any lip-sync problems people have with other external devices and sound bars.

If you need more then one HDMI input, you can install a switch before the Arcana and it will work perfectly.

It is an expensive solution (aprox 250€ for Arcana plus extra HDMI cable), but cheaper then buying a new TV.

It is shameful Samsung doesn’t address their issues with this TV problem with the top of the line set. Shame on you Samsung!

Hope this helps you.

Regards!

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

Good to have a viable work-around. What about switching to sound from internal apps, is Arcana autodetecting its HDMI input or how can the ARC signal from the TV be passed through?

0 Likes