Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 15-02-2020 06:55 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Yes concur completely re v1359 Samsung say it's the best that can be achieved to reduce lip sync, but the result is still an unacceptable audio lag.  I don't think they'll do any more on this problem.  Hence why I've switched to connecting directly into Soundbar.  Lip sync no longer an issue but want to convince myself about other functionality.

0 Likes
chiefmegadeth
Student
Options

https://youtu.be/NMI7nqS61nI

So many of us have been waiting for someone from Samsung to give us anything on the eArc update. And that it was actually coming?
Thanks too Vincent for finally giving us hope. an update from the horses mouth.

Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi again me83,

Are you using a Soundbar?

0 Likes
me83
Explorer
Options
Hi Ian,

Yes, I use a Samsung Q70 soundbar, which came with the TV (Q90R).
0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi thanks for prompt reply.  Have you tried connecting your external source(s) into the Soundbar?

When I first got my TV and Soundbar last October and tried this set up it seemed unstable with respect to control of the soundbar, source input auto-detection etc.  However, having just reverted to connecting my SKY Q box into the Soundbar via HDMI it seems to be stable and improved.  Whether the software updates since Oct 2019 have addressed these control issues I don't know, but at the moment it's behaving OK, albeit early days.

I'm now enjoying Dolby Digital audio which is a huge improvement over PCM.

Can you try this configuration?

0 Likes
me83
Explorer
Options
Yes, connecting direct to soundbar offers good results and is certainly better than PCM output.

However, I just can’t get past the issue in my head in the sense that I should not have to find workarounds to get good results.

The very least I expect from any TV is the ability to enjoy one of the most basic features - audio - and I expect to plug in a device and have it work without me needing to do anything else. At the point of sale, my TV cost £2,199 and at that price I expect a flawless experience. The TV being unable to process Dolby audio when using a soundbar - a Samsung soundbar sold with the TV no less - is simply not acceptable at that price.

If paying for a low-end TV, you would expect to have issues of some sort but I just won’t accept an issue like this on a flagship model with a premium price.

I have already raised a complaint through the retailer, hence the visit from a Samsung engineer, and now that he’s confirmed that the issue can not be improved any further, I have advised the retailer of my intentions and will be returning the equipment for a full refund.
0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi

I agree totally with your sentiments and this is exactly what I have been saying to the UK CEO's office.  Unfortunately, I am beyond the timeframe where I can return to my supplying dealer without obtaining a refund authorisation code from Samsung.  This is one option I am still considering pursuing.

Do you know what you will purchase as a replacement?  Other disgruntled customers seem to opting for the LG C9 TV but not sure what soundbar?

0 Likes
Chrisgixer
Journeyman
Options

hi all, I only read the first 2 plages so apologies if I have missed something but my piont is, this is an hdmi issue. 2.1 may or may not solve it. I believe the hdmi ports are not capable of transferring data as we require, there are other issues transfering data via hdmi on sky q as well for the smart menu data.

For audio, the only fix is to use tos link/ optical cable and set the device accordingly. This will greatly improve lip sync. I found the audio lip sync setting to be 10 to 20 miliseconds across all inputs.

Also each device in the chain has a lip sync setting. Tv/amp/set top box or whatever. I find you need to set the setting per device, not all in one devices like the tv or amp as the audio performace varies per device as well as by channel your watching/format your listening in/ device in use. There's just too many variables. 

anyway, tos link is the only way. You will hear better crisper audio as well. 

Not sure if there is a tos link splitter for multiple devices, probably. 

hope helps

0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

We complained about the sound lag issue shortly after purchase and it has been dragging on for the past 6 weeks however as it was reported within the first 2 weeks, we are still within the 30 day window to reject. We did the 1359 install about 2 weeks ago and it improved it marginally but the issue is still there.

Unfortunately we also have other issues besides the sound lag issue.  On occasions the picture will judder along with the soudn distorting.  On other occasiosn just the sound will distort.  The big issue is the soudn dropping out altogether and to get it back you need to go to settings, sound, sound output and select sound bar even though it is already selected.  Most times this cures the issue.

However for the Q90 TV and Q90 soundbar we paid in excess of £3k and certainly do not expect these sort of issues on a premium TV and soundbar.

0 Likes
Chrisgixer
Journeyman
Options

Sounds like your watching sky Q

Qis riddled with faults and sound drop outs, if so

0 Likes