Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 27-01-2020 12:33 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I also reported to the CEOs office and found them helpful. Ultimately they advised me to return my products. I have done this and am now a very happy LG TV owner. I had the issues since around May last year. I doubt they will fix it any time soon. So if you can return it then it might be the best option. 

0 Likes
davem2
Student
Options

I am still experiencing audio delay on firmware 1335 with the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k unless I set it to stereo mode.

0 Likes
bcab17
Explorer
Options

I was "deeply" involved in this thread back in December. I had purchased my Q90R LED in November, and my "return window" was closing. After lots of hours of researching and frustration, I finally gave up on waiting for a lip-sync "fix" that may never come. I decided to bypass the HDMI into the TV lip-sync problem, and went "old school"...Optical (Toslink) Audio for everything. My external devices are connected via HDMI to the TV, and via Optical to a small Optical Switcher (with discreet/direct input selection for around $30 at Amazon). The Optical switcher output goes to my soundbar, and everything works perfectly. I have a basic Harmony 665 Remote with simple "activity macros" that do the HDMI input switching and the Optical Input switching automatically. 

The "trade off" here is that I cannot get Dolby Atmos over Optical, but in my case, I am very happy with tried and true Dolby Digital 5.1. It sounds great for Cable TV (HBO, SHO, live sports, etc.), as well as for the streaming apps (Netflix, Prime Video, etc.) from my Roku and the Samsung Smart TV apps. AND THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO LIP-SYNC ISSUE.

My choices were driven by a couple of things:

1) I fell in love with the Q90R picture quality. My alternatives were LG OLED (better PQ in dark rooms, but not great for my bright/refective family room), and Sony's compatible 65" LED (I already forgot the model), which was clearly inferior to the Samsung in every review I read, and in the local retail store that allowed me to tweak the settings on their display TV's.

2) Life is short. If I had not gone the Optical Audio route in mid-December, I would still be spending hours on the internet looking for lip-sync solutions...which could very well continue for quite a while.

My advice (for what it's worth) is...if you love the Q90R picture quality, then go with DD 5.1 through Opto and enjoy. You can always move up to Dolby Atmos through HDMI when Samsung comes up with a fix.

OR

If you don't like the Optical Audio approach, you have a relatively dark room (or can control the ambient light), and you and/or your family's viewing habits will not be a risk for burn-in, then go get an LG OLED. They are fantastic.

Good luck, my friends!

d00p
Journeyman
Options

Just updated to v1351.3 on my Samsung Q90R -- however, still no improvements in regards to lip sync w/ DD 5.1 signals.

0 Likes
userjYtfoTda0t
Pioneer
Options

Is the lip sync, in v1351.3, still OK when using DD (or PCM) from TV-internal apps?

0 Likes
d00p
Journeyman
Options

Yes, no issues with lip sync at all using Netflix and other apps (w/ DD 5.1 signals).

I only experience the issue with DD 5.1 TV channels via my set top box.

0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

How do you go about contacting the UK Samsung CEO by email as support staff obviously read off a script and are not very helpful and demonstrate a lack of knowldge of the product in question?  In our case the Q90 TV and the Q90 sound bar.  In bothcases after asking a few questions, told me to contact the dealer.

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

https://www.samsung.com/uk/info/contactus/email-the-ceo/

Click the button near the bottom of this page.

0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

Thanks.  Email sent to CEO outlining Q90 TV audio and video sync issue plus faulty Q90 sound bar  Retailer has agreed to replace sound bar, but is hesistating about TV as we want another brand like LG E9 where apparently the sound lag issue has been resolved according to reviews.

0 Likes
Buccaneerian
Explorer
Options

BTW if they take back the TV how do I delete my login information for Prime, Netflix and Rakuten? 

0 Likes