Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 05-12-2019 04:47 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
m-oc
Navigator
Options

This was exactly the same issues I had and the same concerns about using multiple remotes.  Probably not what you want to hear but I've returned mine and bought an LG.  Everything seems ok so far with the LG!

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

I had the Playbar before trying the Q90R Soundbar.  The lipsync was just as bad with that on optical.  It's up to you of course but I wouldn't recommend trying the Sonos unless you can return it after trying it as I found the same issues.  

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options
It's in a different price range, I know, but I've gone for the signature wallpaper LG. I was also concerned about some reflections. It's not as good as the Samsung but it isn't a really glossy glass screen either. It also has some settings to reduce burn in but obviously if you sit for 10 hours a day on the same channel it might have some impact. Maybe find something else for the grandchildren to do 😉
0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

Setting to PCM is a workaorund but if you're like me then you'd want something a bit better than basic stereo sound, especially if you've got a decent sound bar or system.  Hence me returning everything and going for LG.

0 Likes
bcab17
Explorer
Options

@m-oc wrote:

I had the Playbar before trying the Q90R Soundbar.  The lipsync was just as bad with that on optical.  It's up to you of course but I wouldn't recommend trying the Sonos unless you can return it after trying it as I found the same issues.  

*****...I don't know why, but I thought avoiding ARC altogether, and just using the Optical connection from TV to Soundbar would avoid the lip-sync problem. Thanks for this info. Since I'm still in the return period for the Q90R TV and Q80R Soundbar, I could go to something else (although I don't relish the thought of re-packing and carrying the huge TV box back to the retailer). The problem is, this may not be a Samsung-specific issue. I've seen some threads in the AVS Forums refering to lip-sync issues with my favorite other brand, Sony (as well as with LG)...although I don't know the specifics. I'm certainly no expert, but this may be a problem with ARC (which only seems to affect a cable box sending DD 5.1 audio through HDMI). Those consumers who have been lucky enough to "cut the cable cord" and only use streaming services do not seem to have this lip-sync problem.

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

Last time I tested it I had the same issue with both optical and ARC but of course any updates or fixes could change things.

All I know is that the OLED65W9PLA LG TV does not have any issues with lip sync.  I spent the extra (although there were black Friday deals fortunately) to get this TV because it comes as a package with the soundbar.  I've been using it for a few days without issue, even in DD and DD+/Atmos.  However, I do appreciate that it is a very expensive TV/Soundbar.  I can't speak for other models but like you I'd seen some reports so I decided to get this one as a complete package.

0 Likes
bcab17
Explorer
Options

@m-oc wrote:

Setting to PCM is a workaorund but if you're like me then you'd want something a bit better than basic stereo sound, especially if you've got a decent sound bar or system.  Hence me returning everything and going for LG.

I agree...PCM is not something I would be satisfide with. I love the LG OLED's, but I've been told they are not a good match for daytime viewing in our bright/refective family room...and I'd be ever-aware of the burn-in possibility everytime I saw a static image on the screen (Disney for the kids, CNN, ESPN, etc. for me)...all contingent on the panel lottery.

After much research, I left my usual "go to" TV brand, SONY, for the Q90R. I remember seeing some threads in the AVS Forums about lip-sync problems with SONY (and yes, LG)...so even though I'm still in the return period, I'm not sure that there's another brand that can guarantee no lip-sync issue with my cable box.

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

The LG OLED65W9PLA is quite non-reflective but not as good as the Q90R.  I know that some of the other OLED TVs (Panasonic for example) have a piece of glass in front of the screen and are very reflective.  

I think screen burn is only an issue if you're really careless.  I had a plasma TV for years with no problem.  There are various settings on the LG to try to avoid this too.  Time will tell of course!

0 Likes
bcab17
Explorer
Options
@m-oc wrote:

Last time I tested it I had the same issue with both optical and ARC but of course any updates or fixes could change things.

All I know is that the OLED65W9PLA LG TV does not have any issues with lip sync.  I spent the extra (although there were black Friday deals fortunately) to get this TV because it comes as a package with the soundbar.  I've been using it for a few days without issue, even in DD and DD+/Atmos.  However, I do appreciate that it is a very expensive TV/Soundbar.  I can't speak for other models but like you I'd seen some reports so I decided to get this one as a complete package.

That's good news...I'm happy the LG package is working for you. I originally wanted an LG OLED, but was talked out of it when I explained that my family room is very bright and reflective during daytime viewing (sports for me on the weekends, everything else during the week for my retired wife). I also became concerned when reading about people with burn-in, which seems to be panel lottery-affected.

CHEERS...you've got yourself the very best picture quality available, and with the appropriate environment and viewing habits, I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years. Can you tell me which model soundbar came in the package?

0 Likes
m-oc
Navigator
Options

The TV comes with the soundbar because the TV display is so thin (less than 4mm) all of the workings of the TV are also in the soundbar (imagine a One Connect Box and Soundbar combined).  So the sound bar is effectively the internal speakers of the TV. No optical or ARC required.  Its not a soundbar that you can buy separately.

I have to say that the sound bar isn't the most attractive in my opinion which is a shame considering the TV looks so good.

The screen does go pretty bright (if you turn off things like Eco mode) and it does have an anti reflective property but if your room is very bright then it may not be enough when the screen is quite dark for example.

0 Likes