Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip Sync issue with 75 inch Q90 and Sky Q

(Topic created on: 28-02-2020 01:05 PM)
Swifty66
Student
Options

Hi,

Like any others I am having problems on lip sync. My set up is a Samsung QLED Q90, Sky Q and Bowers and Wilkins Pamorama 2 soundbar.

If I connect sky q via HDMI to the TV One connect box (TV) , and  HMDI arc from the One connect box to the HDMI ARC on the soundbar,. picture is fantastic but bad lip sync experienced, especially on live HD and UHD channels.

The audio time delay on all three components is set to zero but it needs a negative setting, not a positive one, there is not a negative delay available on any.

If I change the config and pass the Sky Q signal through the soundbar, so HDMI to soundbar, ARC to TV, lip sync is sorted BUT Sky Q does not recognise that a UHD TV is connected and so I cant set picture output to UHD - aarrrgh!

Any ideas?

Is it the TV, do I need to change my soundbar or buy and go through an AV receiver (sounds overkill witha soundbarwhich has a negative delay function for video/audio?

Pretty awful when you purchase top of the range TV, decent soundbar and latest cable.

Thnaks in advance,

David

6 REPLIES 6
StevenLyall
Pioneer
Options

Yes - exactly the same problems.

if you set your Sky Q HDMI sound output to Normal instead of Dolby, I think the lip sync will be ok, and with a sound bar, that might work for you.

For me, I use an AVR, so I lose 5.1 surround doing this.  I think it’s unacceptable that Samsung sells kit that is incapable of taking Dolby sound through its OneConnect and out through either ARC or Optical to an AVR without maintaining sync.

0 Likes
grecianite
First Poster
Options

Hi David,

Did you overcome your issue?  If so how did you do it, as I am currently very frustrated with the lip sync issue.

Also feel let down by Samsung as twice they've promised to call me back but have not!

Thanks

0 Likes
Swifty66
Student
Options
Hi,
Yes I solved it by running an optical out from the sky box to my soundbar, nothing with an HDMI worked.
To be fair I believe it's a Sky issue and not Samsung.
I don't get any lip sync issues any more and works both using the soundbar or TV speakers for all TV/films.
Some old format SD programmes might struggle a bit but we just use the Tv speakers if necessary...
0 Likes
StevenLyall
Pioneer
Options

Thanks - I'd be interested to know what it is about Sky's Audio & Video signals that lead to the lip-sync issues they come in to the Samsung TV in sync, but get out of sync if the Audio gets directed to a sound system.  I also (have to) take Sky's optical output to by sound system, but have to manually switch that sound system to use that input when necessary.  This is disappointingly inconvenient given the cost of all the equipment.

0 Likes
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

It’s not just sky. I believe it must be tv as I have a firestick plugged in to a q90t and it’s all out of sync. Only way I fixed was to go into menu and go to pass through as I have a receiver that it’s plugged into. This fixes the audio sync issue but I get a random audio cut out every 45 mins which lasts 1 second each time. 

Any ideas?

also anyone with a receiver, try audio pass through as this may help with your issue. 

0 Likes
StevenLyall
Pioneer
Options

It's hard to believe that it's not 'big news' that Samsung can't engineer audio & video signals to stay in sync.  No reviews address it.

Yes, pass-through would work, but then I'm back to my Receiver being the 'switcher' for my external sources (Sky, Blu-ray and Apple TV), and the TV being the switcher for the TV's apps (Netflix, Prime, YouTube, etc.).  This defeats the purpose of buying the TV to be a single point of control for all sources with a single remote.