Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last firmware update 1310.4 and youtube resolution

(Topic created on: 09-01-2021 06:23 PM)
Joanal1983
Explorer
Options

Hello,

Yesterday I updated my 55q7fn 2018 to the latest firmware available 1310.4 and Youtube app cannot reproduce videos at 2k or 4k. Before the update this was working fine.

Whant can we do? I've reinsalled the app and I've seen other users with the same problem with this new firmware.

Thanks,

76 REPLIES 76
DavesMan
Explorer
Options

I have the same problem. The TV cannot sustain even 1080p for a longer period of time. At the start it buffers about 60 - 70 seconds of video. The network speed is estimated about 110000 Kbps. After a while the buffer drops to 7 - 8 seconds and the video gets stuck after a moment. The it drops to 360p.

It is QLED 6 series 2018 model.

2020-12-30 08.58.48.jpg

alex_fr
Student
Options

Exactly the same problem with a 2018 Samsung Q9FN (65") with firmware 1310 and YouTube app version web_20201208_00_RC04.

Since firmware update 1310 playback in YouTube app is almost non functional. It all began with only 4K videos not starting to play or not continuing to load after 20 to 40 seconds of initial playback (when I got lucky). Now, the TV also struggles with 1080p and even 720p videos: Playback starts in 360p and I have to force 720p or 1080p, then often the playback buffer runs empty with no further network activity.

Resetting the Smart Hub, the TV's network settings and the YouTube app doesn't help at all.

So this 2000€ TV now is useless for YouTube! Samsung says nothing, does nothing. YouTube/Google doesn't help either. @Samsung: Do you really think it will help your sales to not fix a self-inflicted software problem for now almost three months?! I'm going to contact Heise publishing and c't editors and ask them to write about this issue.

ndervic
Journeyman
Options

Had the same issue. Still there with Wifi, stagnates all the time.

But wired connection works fine by me. 

2160p/4k without any problems.

I did a speed test on fast.com

I have a 1gbs sync/  fiber optic connection.

On TV (qe55q7fn)

Wired = max speed 90mbs

Wifi 5ghz = max 150mbs

On Macbook Pro

Wired: 998mbs

Wifi 5ghz: DL 450mbs / UL 500mbs

So there is no problem with the Speed. It must be something in the Service Mode Settings, like a short buffertime or smaller/reduced or limited cache memory access on Wifi.

xxs
Journeyman
Options

Same issue (with 1310.4) - higher resolution ones just fail and 1080p breaks... on WiFi. I've connected it directly to the router and it's ok.

Needless to say it's not an issue with the network speed - WiFi is around 90Mbit/s and wire is less 78Mbit/s using fast.com and the built-in browser.  (Desktop/laptops/etc. would get 300Mbit/s and I'd consider the lower speed on the TV to be a CPU limit).

I'd say it's a bug in the WiFi driver; it is not the Youtube app, itself.

SO SAMSUNG, fix the WiFi driver  - it's quite a shameful act not doing anything with so many reports.

grendy
Apprentice
Options

So you're saying that wired connection works? I didn't try that one yet since all other apps using wifi don't have any problems with speed and can play 4k material from elsewhere.

xxs
Journeyman
Options

>you're saying that wired connection works

Very much I am. Also I have no issues with other applications, e.g. youtube 4k does work with the built-in browser on WiFi. I do not know how exactly you tube uses sockets (tcp) and what settings it sets for them (or socket buffers).

I also investigated the traffic through the WiFi router (along with youtube's "starts for nerds") For extremely long periods there is zero traffic and overall low amounts of the bytes transferred/packets.

Anyways. Wire/LAN =does= work (and the WiFi router is 50cm away from the TV). So I suspect Samsung has messed up their WiFi driver like I've said previously.  I am in no mood to write my own apps for Samsung TV to investigate the issue further with Samsung being that lazy to see/diff what they did.

grendy
Apprentice
Options

Hot *****! You're right. I wouldn't have guessed that this could solve the problem but it did! I thought that if wifi works with high speeds it couldn't have anything to do with one app not working fine, but it did. Thanks for this and no thanks to Samsung for wasting a lot of peoples time!

DavesMan
Explorer
Options

It would have had an impact on other apps (Netflix in 4K for example) if they had messed the WiFI...

0 Likes
alex_fr
Student
Options

Exactly!

@all: Please stop proposing a wired connection as some kind of solution to this ongoing problem! I cannot even connect my TV by wire to the router due to its placement in the house. It has to also work via WiFi. YouTube on Samsung TVs prior to 2019 is currently simply broken. Samsung is not fixing it. YouTube/Google is not fixing it. Period.

YouTube app updated to version "web_20210106_00_RC01" and this didn't help at all.

I'm really getting frustrated with Samsung's behavior towards customers. Not even a word from moderators here.

xxs
Journeyman
Options

>I cannot even connect my TV by wire to the router due to its placement in the house

Get a cheap wifi-router and set it as a repeater, close to the TV, connect the TV with a wire to the new router.

With that being said: LAN connection does solve the issue  but it's not a solution, it's a workaround and no a convenient one. LAN has its own issues with a popup if the TV drops the connection.

I am confident it's the WiFi and (while I dislike proof by authority) I am a software developer with extensive experience of networking. It's absolutely possible to have specific setup that causes issues while everything else works properly, e.g. socket buffer sizes. nagling, epoll vs select, non-blocking write/reads and so on. TCP has a lot of knobs on the application layer.