Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN/Wifi Issues with GQ85QN95A

(Topic created on: 14-04-2022 12:39 PM)
Member_1
Apprentice
Options

I have a GQ85QN95A, which is connected to the network by Wifi and ethernet. I keep noticing strange things:

1) when it uses ethernet, I am able to access a file share on my PC as input source , but the TV shows as "offline" in the SmartThings app

2) when it uses Wifi, the SmartThings app can control the TV, but the share is unavailable

3) if I plug in the ethernet cable, both work for a while

4) eventually the app stopps working again

Now, I'm not exactly using that app, but as it seems, the smart home integration (ioBroker) apparently fails as well.

Does anybody have an idea how to fix that and make both the app and th eshare access available?

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi, it looks to me like you need a DLNA server on your PC to wirelessly stream. Use something like Windows Media Player to stream over your network.
0 Likes
Member_1
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your post, but unless I'm mistaken, it's not about streaming. I don't want to stream content, I want to access content that's stored elsewhere.

And anyway, it's not my problem that it doesn't work in general, it just doesn't work using Wifi. Or rather it works, but the stupid app doesn't work via ethernet. (How is that actually possible?)

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Hi Is it media or other content you wish to access remotely?
0 Likes
Member_1
Apprentice
Options

It's media content. But streaming means to me that I have to change rooms to go to my PC to select the content, start the stream and maybe even control the streaming. I don't need that, I'm better off with the current solution.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Using WMP you select the media via your TV ie no need to change rooms.
0 Likes
Member_1
Apprentice
Options

Excuse me,  but which issue are you trying to solve? That I can access media content on my PC when using Wifi? Wifi is by all means the inferior method to ethernet and it's the wrong way to tune a system in such a way that high-bandwidth data transfer is done using a relatively low through-put Wifi network taht's shared by multiple devices instead of a Gigabit ethernet over a switch.

The solution should rather be to get SmartThings and home integration  working over ethernet.

(I did enable DLNA for my TV on WMP, though, but it wasn't detected by the TV.)

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I'm referring to how to access media on your PC to stream to your TV. I didn't realise you wanted I wired connection for this which I'm not sure Smart Things is capable of. Don't forget your TV network card is probably maxed out at 100mbps so won't benefit from Gigabit speeds anyway.
My set up to watch media stored on my PC uses a wired connection for some TVs and wireless over my network is just by using WMP on my PC and accessed and controlled via the TV.
Member_1
Apprentice
Options

I prefer wired as much as I can. The thing is that the app appears to work with wired, but eventually stops working. I then unplug and replug the cable and it's all good again. Which is weird. If I can stabilize that, I have my issues solved. Reverting to Wifi just introduces other instabilities and, removes the ability to use the share as a source. WMP wasn't recognized by the TV even though I explicitely permitted access for the TV.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
WMP needs folders to be shared etc.
Here's a good set up tutorial https://forums.tomsguide.com/faq/connect-samsung-smart-tv-to-laptop-or-pc.182811/

I have read ST doesn't work well with AV. I found this forum https://community.smartthings.com/
while researching which may be more helpful for you.