Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 24/12/17 15:56)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
TV

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.


All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

 

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

 

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

 

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

 

 

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

 

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,552 REPLIES 2,552
paul1111
Hotshot
Options
TV

wrote:

Here is my latest reply to JL - I have used others posts and cobbled something together...

 

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated.

 

I want to continue to liaise with John Lewis directly as the retailer of the product rather than with Samsung in this instance.

 

I am aware that recently that Samsung are known to have offered the standalone SmartThings Hub to certain customers and I want to be clear that this is not an option I am interested in. I am disappointed in regard to the broken promises regarding the Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter. As I have alluded to in previous correspondence Samsung promised that its entire 2016 smart TV line-up will be Internet of Things (IoT) ready and all TVs will apply IoT hub technology, allowing the TV itself to act as the controller for the entire smart home. This is a crucial part, as the function to have the TV as the hub and centre of the smart home cannot be acquired with the standalone Samsung SmartThings Hub. It only allows the hub to connect to the TV and gives you the option to control the TV with the SmartThings mobile app. It cannot change the lighting, check the smart front door camera or use any other advertised smart features straight from the TV’s interface like promised. Here you can see the specific functions that are missing from the solution: https://youtu.be/KPhLa2ddWFY. This was also specially addressed by Samsung Electronics America President & COO, Tim Baxter, at CES 2016. He starts talking about the SmartThings Extend USB adapter at the 3:55 mark on this video, https://youtu.be/bqkZw6NY3K8?t=3m55s.

 

It is clear that there is no way to deliver this function Tim Baxter talks about, which was promised and described in the Samsung press release, now that the Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter has been discontinued, so please do not try to say that the separate SmartThings hub will give this functionality as it will not.

 

I can appreciate John Lewis tries to provide “detailed and accurate information” to its customers however the fact remains that in this case John Lewis supplied the UE49KS8000 TV advertising it with a Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter on the JL website, this has not been supplied and under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, all goods supplied by a trader to a consumer should match any description upon which has been relied to make your purchase. Therefore, as a result of this miss selling of the UE49KS8000 TV by John Lewis, I am entitled to a full refund of £1307.50.

 

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

 

Yours sincerely


Just to clarify you can not connect the TV to anything without the smart connect. The smart things hub will not connect to the TV. 

0 Likes
Reply
rosscouk
Navigator
Options
TV

Thanks Paul1111 - that was really helpful - please see new version

 

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated.

 

I want to continue to liaise with John Lewis directly as the retailer of the product rather than with Samsung in this instance.

 

I am aware that recently that Samsung are known to have offered the standalone SmartThings Hub to certain customers and I want to be clear that this is not an option I am interested in. I am disappointed in regard to the broken promises regarding the Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter. As I have alluded to in previous correspondence Samsung promised that that its entire 2016 smart TV line-up will be Internet of Things (IoT) ready and all TVs will apply IoT hub technology, allowing the TV itself to act as the controller for the entire smart home. This is a crucial part, as the function to have the TV as the centre of the smart home cannot be acquired with the standalone Samsung SmartThings Hub. I would not be able to change the lighting, check the smart front door camera or use any other advertised smart features straight from the TV’s interface like promised. Here you can see the specific functions that are missing from the solution: https://youtu.be/KPhLa2ddWFY. This was also specially addressed by Samsung Electronics America President & COO, Tim Baxter, at CES 2016. He starts talking about the SmartThings Extend USB adapter at the 3:55 mark on this video, https://youtu.be/bqkZw6NY3K8?t=3m55s.

 

It is clear that there is no way to deliver this function Tim Baxter talks about, which was promised and described in the Samsung press release, now that the Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter has been discontinued, so please do not try to say that the separate SmartThings hub will give this functionality as it will not.

 

I can appreciate John Lewis tries to provide “detailed and accurate information” to its customers how the fact remains that in this case John Lewis supplied the UE49KS8000 TV advertising it with a Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter on the JL website, this has not been supplied and under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, all goods supplied by a trader to a consumer should match any description upon which has been relied to make your purchase. Therefore, as a result of this miss selling of the UE49KS8000 TV by John Lewis, I am entitled to a full refund of £1307.50.

 

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

 

Yours sincerely

0 Likes
Reply
paul1111
Hotshot
Options
TV

wrote:

Thanks Paul1111 - that was really helpful - please see new version

 

Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated.

 

I want to continue to liaise with John Lewis directly as the retailer of the product rather than with Samsung in this instance.

 

I am aware that recently that Samsung are known to have offered the standalone SmartThings Hub to certain customers and I want to be clear that this is not an option I am interested in. I am disappointed in regard to the broken promises regarding the Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter. As I have alluded to in previous correspondence Samsung promised that that its entire 2016 smart TV line-up will be Internet of Things (IoT) ready and all TVs will apply IoT hub technology, allowing the TV itself to act as the controller for the entire smart home. This is a crucial part, as the function to have the TV as the centre of the smart home cannot be acquired with the standalone Samsung SmartThings Hub. I would not be able to change the lighting, check the smart front door camera or use any other advertised smart features straight from the TV’s interface like promised. Here you can see the specific functions that are missing from the solution: https://youtu.be/KPhLa2ddWFY. This was also specially addressed by Samsung Electronics America President & COO, Tim Baxter, at CES 2016. He starts talking about the SmartThings Extend USB adapter at the 3:55 mark on this video, https://youtu.be/bqkZw6NY3K8?t=3m55s.

 

It is clear that there is no way to deliver this function Tim Baxter talks about, which was promised and described in the Samsung press release, now that the Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter has been discontinued, so please do not try to say that the separate SmartThings hub will give this functionality as it will not.

 

I can appreciate John Lewis tries to provide “detailed and accurate information” to its customers how the fact remains that in this case John Lewis supplied the UE49KS8000 TV advertising it with a Samsung Smartthings Extend USB adapter on the JL website, this has not been supplied and under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, all goods supplied by a trader to a consumer should match any description upon which has been relied to make your purchase. Therefore, as a result of this miss selling of the UE49KS8000 TV by John Lewis, I am entitled to a full refund of £1307.50.

 

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

 

Yours sincerely


Rather than the smart things extender dongle it's called the smart connect USB dongle.  Don't let them use the smart things as an excuss,  as Samsung called it the smart connect USB dongle. 

0 Likes
Reply
Ronson808
Navigator
Options
TV
I would be amazed if they offer us a refund if they are in talks with Samsung. They are far more concerned with keeping Samsung happy in my mind.

They know exactly what the issue is, Samsung just seems like it's working out what to do.

Not that any of this means we can't go for a full refund in the small claims court and have a very decent chance. Although that doesn't mean a judge would agree....
0 Likes
Reply
CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options
TV

Ha, getting from bad to worse with my latest reply from Customer Service - 

 

"

Thank you for your e-mail addressed for the attention of our Chief Executive Officer Sebastian James.  As part of the Customer Support Team, your correspondence has been passed to me to investigate and respond.

 

 

I appreciate your frustration in this matter, and thank you for providing us with the details to review the registered previous communications.  In regard to the issue with Samsung not continuing with the production of the Extender, I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.  As this is a withdrawal of a third party service, I am afraid that this is outside of our reasonable control.

 

Having looked into the supporting information you have provided in your claim, it would appear that the only reference you have provided is a blog post, credited to the source of Samsung on the 17th March 2016.  Our website clearly states our conditions of sale, and our terms of responsibility for the withdrawal of third party services.  This said, as the product itself was not sold on the premise of the additional item being included, as per the box contents or description on the website from which you purchased the TV, it would not be applicable.  I have also checked the advertised contents included with the TV, which does not state the inclusion of the additional item.  This information was stated at the time of your online purchase to consider in full prior to conducting your purchase.  When making your choice, you agreed to the terms of sale, and have since had substantial use of the item.

 

Our Customer Service team have tried to resolve this situation as best they can, as we do value your custom, and understand your disappointment.  This said, you have stated that you declined the offer of goodwill, and made your intention clear to pursue this further through external means. With full consideration of the situation, I am sorry that we are unable to meet your expectations on this occasion.   

 

 

 

Yours sincerely,"

0 Likes
Reply
paul1111
Hotshot
Options
TV

wrote:

Ha, getting from bad to worse with my latest reply from Customer Service - 

 

"

Thank you for your e-mail addressed for the attention of our Chief Executive Officer Sebastian James.  As part of the Customer Support Team, your correspondence has been passed to me to investigate and respond.

 

 

I appreciate your frustration in this matter, and thank you for providing us with the details to review the registered previous communications.  In regard to the issue with Samsung not continuing with the production of the Extender, I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.  As this is a withdrawal of a third party service, I am afraid that this is outside of our reasonable control.

 

Having looked into the supporting information you have provided in your claim, it would appear that the only reference you have provided is a blog post, credited to the source of Samsung on the 17th March 2016.  Our website clearly states our conditions of sale, and our terms of responsibility for the withdrawal of third party services.  This said, as the product itself was not sold on the premise of the additional item being included, as per the box contents or description on the website from which you purchased the TV, it would not be applicable.  I have also checked the advertised contents included with the TV, which does not state the inclusion of the additional item.  This information was stated at the time of your online purchase to consider in full prior to conducting your purchase.  When making your choice, you agreed to the terms of sale, and have since had substantial use of the item.

 

Our Customer Service team have tried to resolve this situation as best they can, as we do value your custom, and understand your disappointment.  This said, you have stated that you declined the offer of goodwill, and made your intention clear to pursue this further through external means. With full consideration of the situation, I am sorry that we are unable to meet your expectations on this occasion.   

 

 

 

Yours sincerely,"


Did you include their own link which is clear that the dongle would be free.  They are lying as their web page does say the dongle would be supplied free of charge.  It's interesting as how they are now using a different reason as a  get out.  They clearly advertised the dongle as a feature,  not as a third party app. Remained them of the link and point out the above. Just a case of absorbing all their rubbish and keep to the point. 

0 Likes
Reply
CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options
TV
I'm just writing a reply now and linking to their page here - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-tv-technology-1888-commercial.html - which is still active by the way, still saying the Smart Things is free within 2016 (which we know was delayed and then dropped)

I also like the fact he says I declined their offer - I never, I didn't even reply so I am also stating this in my reply that I'm leaving my options open whilst I seek legal advice
0 Likes
Reply
paul1111
Hotshot
Options
TV

wrote:
I'm just writing a reply now and linking to their page here - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-tv-technology-1888-commercial.html - which is still active by the way, saying the Smart Things is free within 2016 (which we know was delayed and then dropped)

I also like the fact he says I declined their offer - I never, I didn't even reply so I am also stating this in my reply that I'm leaving my options open whilst I seek legal advice

They tried to say that their ownblog was nothing to do with Curry's only for them to have to admit that it was part of their site. They are also trying to say because it was not on the packaging they are not responsible. The regs are quite clear they advertised the dongle on their own web site. Keep these excuses as evidence of their  attempts to evade the law and point that out to them that every thing they are saying will be used as evidence of their willful disregard of the consumer laws,  and you have been informed by cab that they believe you have a case. 

0 Likes
Reply
paul1111
Hotshot
Options
TV

wrote:
I'm just writing a reply now and linking to their page here - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-tv-technology-1888-commercial.html - which is still active by the way, still saying the Smart Things is free within 2016 (which we know was delayed and then dropped)

I also like the fact he says I declined their offer - I never, I didn't even reply so I am also stating this in my reply that I'm leaving my options open whilst I seek legal advice

Did you use a credit card? 

You may need to search back to where they admitted the blog site was part of the curry's web site and include that as well. 

0 Likes
Reply
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options
TV

wrote:
I'm just writing a reply now and linking to their page here - https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-tv-technology-1888-commercial.html - which is still active by the way, still saying the Smart Things is free within 2016 (which we know was delayed and then dropped)

I also like the fact he says I declined their offer - I never, I didn't even reply so I am also stating this in my reply that I'm leaving my options open whilst I seek legal advice

That was not the sort of response I was expecting, now how on earth did I manage to get £549 out of them if this is how they now behaving.

 

This really sucks 😞