Support

Open search

KS Owners refund

Highlighted
Black Belt 

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.


All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

 

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

 

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

 

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

 

 

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

 

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,544 REPLIES 2,544
Highlighted

Model: 65KS8000

Retailer: Currys

Purchased: Dec 2016

Credit Card: Barclaycard 

Result: Full refund via Section 75 Claim

 

Process: 

 

19 Oct - Sent first return and refund claim to Currys via email. The usual back and forth ensued. Did not get emotional as goal was to get to their final position email as fast as possible.

21 Oct - Received final communication from Currys that no resolution beyond supplying the Smartthings Hub V2. Objective achieved to obtain this email quickly. Also, contacted Samsung via online chat etc but nearly impossible to have a proper dialogue - something that takes 5 mins to talk about takes 50 mins via chat (think the person is having 10 x simultaneous conversations) so gave up but was promised a Hub V2 via email.

23 Oct - Called Barclaycard disputes team. Was posted the Section 75 paperwork.

28 Oct - Completed the Section 75 claim paperwork providing copies of everything as detailed here. Sent it off.

1 Nov - Started calling and chasing progress. Eventually, after going thru an overseas call centre, you get transferred thru to the UK team. They were well versed in deflecting this issue and used similar arguments to Currys. “Did it not occur to you that when you bought it this feature was missing?”, “Samsung are offering a free Hub V2 and this will give you the functionality”. Stuck to my guns and advised the Smartthings was a major factor for purchase and wanted my refund.

2-3 Nov - Kept calling and nagging why no one has looked at my case. Probably got deflected 3-4 times. I insisted it was escalated, which they promised (to the “Level 2” team)

 

[Interlude: Was overseas till 17 Nov so no more chasing during this period] 

 

19-30 Nov - Kept chasing the level 2 team but as they “were so busy no one had yet been assigned the case”. This was contrary to their complaints procedures where they sate the timescales they endeavour to work to.

3 Dec - A letter arrived saying that as they had not responded as per their own complaint guidelines I was I was entitled to refer to the ombudsman if I wished.

4-11 Dec - I phoned again every 2-3 days to complain about their complaints process (they still had not assigned an individual to handle my case, said was totally unacceptable, why case manager not assigned, etc etc).

11 Dec - Get a surprise call in the evening from a case manager. He takes me through an explanation of what has happened so far as call was recorded. Thought he was setting me up for a decline, but...

 

  • Offered 2 x £25 for “letting me down? with their responses to dates. Nice.
  • Led me through the transaction with Currys and said he “disagreed with his Level 1 colleagues” and that normall6 a tetailers T&Cs of Sales exclude apps etc - but having reviewed it actually Currys T&Cs did not state such a disclaimer. “Did I know what this means to me as a result?”. I replied hopefully “That I can return the TV and am entitled to a full refund?”. “Correct”, says he. He arranged for a return label to be sent so I could return the TV. This I eventually did and they refund reasonable (up to £150) courier charges.

Dec 13 - Letter arrives from Barclaycard confirming the above.

Dec 21 - Return label arrives. Decide to leave till new year to return. Barclaycard said in a confirmation letter that it would be credited once TV is received by them.

Jan 2 - The TV was despatched via Parcelforce 24 signed-for and arrived at their office the next day.

Jan 6 - Was credited the full £1,900 plus £50 plus £140 shipping

Highlighted

@Dan61 wrote:

Model: 65KS8000

Retailer: Currys

Purchased: Dec 2016

Credit Card: Barclaycard 

Result: Full refund via Section 75 Claim

 

Process: 

 

19 Oct - Sent first return and refund claim to Currys via email. The usual back and forth ensued. Did not get emotional as goal was to get to their final position email as fast as possible.

21 Oct - Received final communication from Currys that no resolution beyond supplying the Smartthings Hub V2. Objective achieved to obtain this email quickly. Also, contacted Samsung via online chat etc but nearly impossible to have a proper dialogue - something that takes 5 mins to talk about takes 50 mins via chat (think the person is having 10 x simultaneous conversations) so gave up but was promised a Hub V2 via email.

23 Oct - Called Barclaycard disputes team. Was posted the Section 75 paperwork.

28 Oct - Completed the Section 75 claim paperwork providing copies of everything as detailed here. Sent it off.

1 Nov - Started calling and chasing progress. Eventually, after going thru an overseas call centre, you get transferred thru to the UK team. They were well versed in deflecting this issue and used similar arguments to Currys. “Did it not occur to you that when you bought it this feature was missing?”, “Samsung are offering a free Hub V2 and this will give you the functionality”. Stuck to my guns and advised the Smartthings was a major factor for purchase and wanted my refund.

2-3 Nov - Kept calling and nagging why no one has looked at my case. Probably got deflected 3-4 times. I insisted it was escalated, which they promised (to the “Level 2” team)

 

[Interlude: Was overseas till 17 Nov so no more chasing during this period] 

 

19-30 Nov - Kept chasing the level 2 team but as they “were so busy no one had yet been assigned the case”. This was contrary to their complaints procedures where they sate the timescales they endeavour to work to.

3 Dec - A letter arrived saying that as they had not responded as per their own complaint guidelines I was I was entitled to refer to the ombudsman if I wished.

4-11 Dec - I phoned again every 2-3 days to complain about their complaints process (they still had not assigned an individual to handle my case, said was totally unacceptable, why case manager not assigned, etc etc).

11 Dec - Get a surprise call in the evening from a case manager. He takes me through an explanation of what has happened so far as call was recorded. Thought he was setting me up for a decline, but...

 

  • Offered 2 x £25 for “letting me down? with their responses to dates. Nice.
  • Led me through the transaction with Currys and said he “disagreed with his Level 1 colleagues” and that normall6 a tetailers T&Cs of Sales exclude apps etc - but having reviewed it actually Currys T&Cs did not state such a disclaimer. “Did I know what this means to me as a result?”. I replied hopefully “That I can return the TV and am entitled to a full refund?”. “Correct”, says he. He arranged for a return label to be sent so I could return the TV. This I eventually did and they refund reasonable (up to £150) courier charges.

Dec 13 - Letter arrives from Barclaycard confirming the above.

Dec 21 - Return label arrives. Decide to leave till new year to return. Barclaycard said in a confirmation letter that it would be credited once TV is received by them.

Jan 2 - The TV was despatched via Parcelforce 24 signed-for and arrived at their office the next day.

Jan 6 - Was credited the full £1,900 plus £50 plus £140 shipping


Brilliant,  and thanks for sharing with us your process.  Looks like we are now getting results against Curry's,  and Barclay card is a big scalpel,  and it would be difficult for them to deny anyone else's claim, and another example that we are right and those on the court route it should also help. 

Could we ask if you have your claim reference and we could use it?   

Also could you post onto the results thread. 

Again well done. 

Paul

Highlighted

Brilliant news! Was your card a MasterCard or Visa? If I am not mistaken section 75 is handled by your card company but the actual refund comes from either MasterCard or Visa

Highlighted

Excellent news, Dan!

Can I ask, was the credit card payed off when you initiated the Section 75? I bought mine via currys finance but it was paid off within a few months so is no longer on credit. I'd like to take the same route as you but I'm unsure if I can.

Highlighted

@Andy41 wrote:

Excellent news, Dan!

Can I ask, was the credit card payed off when you initiated the Section 75? I bought mine via currys finance but it was paid off within a few months so is no longer on credit. I'd like to take the same route as you but I'm unsure if I can.


I am not sure but you should be covered by the consumer credit act which is where section 75 comes from. Also if you paid any amount on your credit card then you are covered.  It may be worth contacting your finance company as if it is a section 75 claim and inform them that you believe there is breach of contract and therefore you request all monies paid to be refunded. 

Paul

Highlighted
Yes it was paid off in full at the time of purchase (actually always pay off in full).
Highlighted

@Dan61 wrote:
Yes it was paid off in full at the time of purchase (actually always pay off in full).

Did you buy using credit card in full or deposit,  you are covered under section 75.

Highlighted

@dipesh44 It was the Amex version of BC but their relationship was stopped around first half of 2017. It didn’t make any difference to the claim. Hope this helps.

Highlighted

did they say which y Currys T&Cs they reffered to?

 

I am going though a section 75 claim with First Direct and the claim handler has said there is no breach in contract under the terms and conditions of sale. 

 

I am waiting for a call back from the claims handler to argue my case over the phone, i have sent them usual arcticles, webpages etc..

Highlighted

@dipesh44 wrote:

did they say which y Currys T&Cs they reffered to?

 

I am going though a section 75 calim with First Direct and the claim handler has said there is no breach in contract under the terms and conditions of sale. 

 

I am waiting for a call back from the claims handler to argue my case over the phone, i have sent them usual arcticles, webpages etc..


I wouldn't try to argue over the phone but just point out that on appealing to the second level Barclays and Tesco credit have agreed it was misrepresentation,  and refunded their customers and    therefore request it go to the next level. A gain it is free. Also put it in writing via email. We have seen the first level are rejecting,  and hoping you give up. 

Paul

Top Liked Authors