!-- End Google Optimize -->
Support

Open search

KS Owners refund

Highlighted
Black Belt 

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.


All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

 

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

 

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

 

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

 

 

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

 

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,549 REPLIES 2,549
Highlighted

wrote:

This really is surprising and disappointing from John Lewis.

 

I personally still have not heard back from the initial email I sent to them (2 weeks ago on Wednesday), if I don’t hear back then I’m going straight to the top with my complaint!


That is a very poor show, definitely go straight to the top on this one.

Highlighted

After having contacted RGB Direct, the retailer I purchased my TV from, they forwarded my case to Samsung UK, which I had also contacted directly.

 

I just got a second reply from them, which goes as follows:

------------------------

Dear Mr. S*****,

 

Thank you for your email. Your customer reference number is ****.

 

This is to acknowledge that we have already received your email.

 

We sincerely apologise for the delayed response. In regard to your concern, to catch with HDR10+, the TVs,set-top boxes and 4K Blu-rays have to carry the firmware to handle it, and content has to be made in it. Currently, all of our 2017 HDR TVS can support this (we cannot confirm yet when or if it will going to be available to our 2016 models).

 

For the Smart things function, this function is already available. However, not all the TV series may support this. For the instructions how to activate this, please refer from this link: https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/210766566-Samsung-TV-as-a-Thing.

 ...

 

------------------------

 

To this I am replying:

 

------------------------

Hi, and thank you again for your reply.

 

However, it seems like you are not getting my point, or deliberately misunderstanding it.

 

So, I will try to be very clear in describing my situation and why I feel like I have been lied to and miss-sold.

 

First of all, and my biggest disappointment, is the broken promise regarding the SmartThings Extend.

 

As you can clearly see here (https://web.archive.org/web/20161130190102/https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-reveals-entire-20...), in a press release Samsung released on the Samsung Newsroom (news.samsung.com) on December 29 2015 (but has since then been taken down), Samsung state that its entire 2016 smart TV line-up will be Internet of Things ready and all TVs will apply IoT hub technology, allowing the TV itself to act as the controller for the entire smart home. This is a crucial part, as the function to have the TV as the hub and center of the smart home cannot be acquired with the standalone SmartThings Hub you linked to in your previous response. It only allows the hub to connect to the TV and gives you the option to control the TV with the SmartThings mobile app. I can not change the lighting, check the smart front door camera or use any other advertised smart features straight from the TV’s interface like promised. Here you can see the specific functions that are missing from your solution: https://youtu.be/KPhLa2ddWFY.

 

This was also specially addressed by Samsung Electronics America President & COO, Tim Baxter, at CES 2016. He starts talking about the SmartThings Extend USB adapter at the 3:55 mark on this video, https://youtu.be/bqkZw6NY3K8?t=3m55s.

 

It is crystal clear that there is no way to deliver this function Tim Baxter talks about, which was promised and described in the Samsung press release, now that the SmartThings Extend hub has been discontinued, so don’t bother trying to sell me on the idea that a separate SmartThings hub will give me this functionality.

 

As I mentioned in my previous email the CEO’s office of Samsung UK has already confirmed and admitted misrepresentation and false advertising which is a clear breach of the Oct 2015 European Consumer regs. and counts as a miss-selling, which means buyers are entitled to full refund or a replacement.

 

I don’t thin I can be any clearer on this. But if something is still unclear, please let me know and I will try to sort things out.

 

The other big reason why I chose this Samsung TV was because Samsung promised that it would support HDR10+ with a firmware update before the end of 2017. That has still not been the case and now you say that you “cannot confirm yet when or if it will going to be available to our 2016 models”. That does not give me any confidence in that Samsung will fulfill their promises made via special press releases that surely was a big factor and reason why many buyers, such as myself, ended up buying the Samsung 2016 KS TV’s.

 

Here are links to two separate news articles from the Samsung website (published on April 24th and April 26th 2017, I bought my TV on the 1st of May, largely based on these news):

 

http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/news/samsung-and-amazon-video-deliver-next-generation-hdr-video-exp...

 

https://web.archive.org/web/20171029205910/https://news.samsung.com/global/how-hdr10-creates-like-re... (this seems to have been taken down by Samsung, probably to cover their tracks in attempt to destroy evidence against them and for them to claim they did not promise HDR10+ support for 2016 TVs).

 

In both press releases it is clearly stated that “Later this year, Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs will gain HDR10+ support as well through a firmware update”.

 

Please get back to me soon with solutions to how Samsung are going to make up for these broken promises that you just can’t look past or try to deny were ever made.

 

Best regards,

S****

 

------------------------

 

I think I have made my self very clear in this reply and hopefully they will give in.

 

I will keep you updated.

 

Highlighted

So that has been 2 weeks today since I emailed John Lewis and not a peep from them so I have just fired off my email to the managing director. Let’s see how that goes.

Highlighted

Another reply from Currys, with a final offer of an outstanding £50 on top of the £100 they already offered, blimey! - 

 

"Thank you for your email dated 5th February 2018.  Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response. 

I am sorry to advise that we are unable to meet your request to have a full refund of this purchase.  You have had around a year and five months use of this product as a television, which would be the primary use of this device.  As Samsung has decided to follow a different path with the product, we are trying to resolve this with a smart hub which would include all the functions that would be achievable with the USB stick Samsung did not develop. 

From what we can see is that the extend would do the same job at the Smarthub so we do not understand why the Smartthings hub would be unusable as this would connect to other Smartthings is your household.  However as a gesture of goodwill regarding this, we would be able to offer a further £50.00 as a BACS payment should you accept this remedy. 

Should you wish to reject the above remedy,  we then will have been unable to resolve this matter to your satisfaction.  We have now exhausted our internal complaints process and this is our final position.   

We are obliged to inform you that you have the right to refer your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider.  You have up to twelve months to do this. 

Please find below the contact details for a certified ADR provider: 

Ombudsman Services 
Website: www.ombudsman-services.org 

Address: 

Ombudsman Services 
The Brew House 
Wilderspool 
Greenall’s Avenue 
Warrington 
WA4 6HL 

We need to advise you that ADR is voluntary and it is not a procedure to which we subscribe.  Therefore any ADR decision would not be binding. 

I trust my reply serves to answer your query in full. "

 

I want to somehow mention 'another customer' receiving over £500 without it sounding like I am only after the money if that makes sense. I can't afford a court case and not happy with £150, but if that's all they are offering then it's better than absolutely nothing. I was hoping to get at least a 4K bluray player out of it haha.

Highlighted

wrote:

Another reply from Currys, with a final offer of an outstanding £50 on top of the £100 they already offered, blimey! - 

 

"Thank you for your email dated 5th February 2018.  Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response. 

I am sorry to advise that we are unable to meet your request to have a full refund of this purchase.  You have had around a year and five months use of this product as a television, which would be the primary use of this device.  As Samsung has decided to follow a different path with the product, we are trying to resolve this with a smart hub which would include all the functions that would be achievable with the USB stick Samsung did not develop. 

From what we can see is that the extend would do the same job at the Smarthub so we do not understand why the Smartthings hub would be unusable as this would connect to other Smartthings is your household.  However as a gesture of goodwill regarding this, we would be able to offer a further £50.00 as a BACS payment should you accept this remedy. 

Should you wish to reject the above remedy,  we then will have been unable to resolve this matter to your satisfaction.  We have now exhausted our internal complaints process and this is our final position.   

We are obliged to inform you that you have the right to refer your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider.  You have up to twelve months to do this. 

Please find below the contact details for a certified ADR provider: 

Ombudsman Services 
Website: www.ombudsman-services.org 

Address: 

Ombudsman Services 
The Brew House 
Wilderspool 
Greenall’s Avenue 
Warrington 
WA4 6HL 

We need to advise you that ADR is voluntary and it is not a procedure to which we subscribe.  Therefore any ADR decision would not be binding. 

I trust my reply serves to answer your query in full. "

 

I want to somehow mention 'another customer' receiving over £500 without it sounding like I am only after the money if that makes sense. I can't afford a court case and not happy with £150, but if that's all they are offering then it's better than absolutely nothing. I was hoping to get at least a 4K bluray player out of it haha.


Was that response from Team Know How or Customer Services?

Highlighted

wrote:

Another reply from Currys, with a final offer of an outstanding £50 on top of the £100 they already offered, blimey! - 

 

"Thank you for your email dated 5th February 2018.  Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response. 

I am sorry to advise that we are unable to meet your request to have a full refund of this purchase.  You have had around a year and five months use of this product as a television, which would be the primary use of this device.  As Samsung has decided to follow a different path with the product, we are trying to resolve this with a smart hub which would include all the functions that would be achievable with the USB stick Samsung did not develop. 

From what we can see is that the extend would do the same job at the Smarthub so we do not understand why the Smartthings hub would be unusable as this would connect to other Smartthings is your household.  However as a gesture of goodwill regarding this, we would be able to offer a further £50.00 as a BACS payment should you accept this remedy. 

Should you wish to reject the above remedy,  we then will have been unable to resolve this matter to your satisfaction.  We have now exhausted our internal complaints process and this is our final position.   

We are obliged to inform you that you have the right to refer your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider.  You have up to twelve months to do this. 

Please find below the contact details for a certified ADR provider: 

Ombudsman Services 
Website: www.ombudsman-services.org 

Address: 

Ombudsman Services 
The Brew House 
Wilderspool 
Greenall’s Avenue 
Warrington 
WA4 6HL 

We need to advise you that ADR is voluntary and it is not a procedure to which we subscribe.  Therefore any ADR decision would not be binding. 

I trust my reply serves to answer your query in full. "

 

I want to somehow mention 'another customer' receiving over £500 without it sounding like I am only after the money if that makes sense. I can't afford a court case and not happy with £150, but if that's all they are offering then it's better than absolutely nothing. I was hoping to get at least a 4K bluray player out of it haha.


I like the way they keep on about the ADR even though they are not signed up to it so therefore you can not use it. 

The time period has nothing to do with your claim so point that out and you could add you want further compensation because you have not had the full capabilities of this TV in this tine period as promised, i.e. the ability to control your smart things from your TV. The offer of a smart things hub, just point out to them that it will not allow the integration of your TV in to the smart things, which is what the smart connect dongle would allow. You could ask them how to integrate the TV into the smart things hub? I think they are just trying to act dumb and hope you will accept their rather pathetic offer. As long as @daleski75 is happy you quoting his success then I can not see any reason why not quote is compensation. I still think if court proceedings were started they would pay in full as they are admitting misrepresentation by offering compensation.

Highlighted

wrote:

wrote:

Another reply from Currys, with a final offer of an outstanding £50 on top of the £100 they already offered, blimey! - 

 

"Thank you for your email dated 5th February 2018.  Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response. 

I am sorry to advise that we are unable to meet your request to have a full refund of this purchase.  You have had around a year and five months use of this product as a television, which would be the primary use of this device.  As Samsung has decided to follow a different path with the product, we are trying to resolve this with a smart hub which would include all the functions that would be achievable with the USB stick Samsung did not develop. 

From what we can see is that the extend would do the same job at the Smarthub so we do not understand why the Smartthings hub would be unusable as this would connect to other Smartthings is your household.  However as a gesture of goodwill regarding this, we would be able to offer a further £50.00 as a BACS payment should you accept this remedy. 

Should you wish to reject the above remedy,  we then will have been unable to resolve this matter to your satisfaction.  We have now exhausted our internal complaints process and this is our final position.   

We are obliged to inform you that you have the right to refer your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) provider.  You have up to twelve months to do this. 

Please find below the contact details for a certified ADR provider: 

Ombudsman Services 
Website: www.ombudsman-services.org 

Address: 

Ombudsman Services 
The Brew House 
Wilderspool 
Greenall’s Avenue 
Warrington 
WA4 6HL 

We need to advise you that ADR is voluntary and it is not a procedure to which we subscribe.  Therefore any ADR decision would not be binding. 

I trust my reply serves to answer your query in full. "

 

I want to somehow mention 'another customer' receiving over £500 without it sounding like I am only after the money if that makes sense. I can't afford a court case and not happy with £150, but if that's all they are offering then it's better than absolutely nothing. I was hoping to get at least a 4K bluray player out of it haha.


I like the way they keep on about the ADR even though they are not signed up to it so therefore you can not use it. 

The time period has nothing to do with your claim so point that out and you could add you want further compensation because you have not had the full capabilities of this TV in this tine period as promised, i.e. the ability to control your smart things from your TV. The offer of a smart things hub, just point out to them that it will not allow the integration of your TV in to the smart things, which is what the smart connect dongle would allow. You could ask them how to integrate the TV into the smart things hub? I think they are just trying to act dumb and hope you will accept their rather pathetic offer. As long as @daleski75 is happy you quoting his success then I can not see any reason why not quote is compensation. I still think if court proceedings were started they would pay in full as they are admitting misrepresentation by offering compensation.


I don’t mind at all and I only got that by going straight to the top so would need to know if they have done this first so I can help out.

Highlighted

Hi Dale,

 

That was from Team knohow, a guy named Tom this time. 

Do you reckon I should wait? It says I can escalate it to the CEO in 7 days through Resolver.

 

Thanks

Highlighted

wrote:

Hi Dale,

 

That was from Team knohow, a guy named Tom this time. 

Do you reckon I should wait? It says I can escalate it to the CEO in 7 days through Resolver.

 

Thanks


I went outside of resolver and just sent an email directly to the CEO, which I am happy to paste here.

Highlighted

That would be great mate. At least then I can Go at it a different way and if no luck I can go back to resolver and decide what to do. Thank you

Top Liked Authors