Support

Open search

KS Owners refund

Highlighted
Black Belt 

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.


All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

 

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

 

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

 

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

 

 

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

 

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,530 REPLIES 2,530
Highlighted

Do not bother with trying to get further with currys, they will try and wear you down. You cannot escalte it any further and will not get any more answers. Best bet is to use the letter of intent to go to small claims court

Highlighted

thanks for that, is there a draft letter of intent on here? i dont seem to recall seeing one

Highlighted

@darrant1234 wrote:

thanks for that, is there a draft letter of intent on here? i dont seem to recall seeing one


Depends what country you're in really, and the retailer's country. If Scotland, then best to look at the What do I need to do before making a claim?  section at http://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking-action/simple-procedure

Highlighted

@mrtickle wrote:

EDIT: Forgot my own news! Decision back from Richer Sounds today, full refund. Big thanks to the community here :smiling-face:

 


Well done! What are you going to replace it with and will it be in time for Saturday's match? You won't want to be unboxing and setting it up as kickoff starts.  🙂

Highlighted

Hi I'm in england and currys shop was in england.  I'll have a google and see what i can find

Highlighted

@crashcris wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

EDIT: Forgot my own news! Decision back from Richer Sounds today, full refund. Big thanks to the community here :smiling-face: 


Well done! What are you going to replace it with and will it be in time for Saturday's match? You won't want to be unboxing and setting it up as kickoff starts.  🙂


Thankyou, but the thanks really should go to the whole community here and @Ramos049 for having the tenacity to reject a 98% refund and get that ADR decision cementing a 100% refund.

 

I don't really think there have been that many refund requests in total. From conversations over the last week with 4 people who work at RS now, they are either all fantastic at bluffing or, what I am more inclined to believe, that the only successful cases have all been people who've posted here. They openly admit there is lots of chat about this on the internet, but I didn't get the impression they were swamped, just a steady trickle.

 

Nice tidbit about who's taking the hit, hopefully Samsung: the local shop that my TV will be returned to, and who is supplying me my new TV, has been told to send it back to Samsung as "faulty" with the reason "SmartThings". Ha. I personally take that to mean "the SmartThings Extend dongle isn't working". Well of course it's not :). And then all RS have to do is reject any "repair" by Samsung which doesn't mean the TV comes back with a SmartThings Extend dongle. Well played.

 

At the risk of becoming a pariah, I honestly don't care about football, haven't seen a single minute of footage so not bothered too much about what time on Saturday! And it's nothing to do with being Welsh, honest [it took the skills of Pelé to knock us out last time, in 1958 lol] :smiling-face: Well actually, I am a little bit bothered; as a HUGE Formula 1 fan I might miss the qualifying for the British Grand Prix on Saturday when it's live and have to watch my recording of it later. (I NEVER watch live TV other than for sport).

 

I am buying (have bought, as the purchase has now gone through!) an LG 2018 C8 OLED. I did promise in the other thread that I'd buy a TV from Samsung's mortal enemies, so it only seemed fair. Also, it had to be a 2018 model to protect against whatever else comes along technologically that screws people over in the future. It's a pity HDMI2.1 wasn't ready for any 2018 models but never mind.

 

I've paid the extra money to make up the difference. And LG are having this promotion until next week so that's £300 off:

https://entertainment.lgcashback.co.uk/en_gb/en_gb/land-promotional-products/?country_promotion=2

 

As an owner of TV calibration equipment and calman software, I'm particularly excited about the world-first direct access to the panel calibration aspect of this year's LGs. 

Vincent explains it better than me: https://youtu.be/eBpL4AqLfgg

 

It's scheduled for Saturday, so I don't even have to take time off work. One of the guys from the local RS is coming with it in a black cab to my house. As I've said from the start, Richer Sounds really are a fantastic company who often bend over backwards to make customers happy. I have an equal love for RS as my hatred for Curry's. Please support the good guys in your future purchases!

 

Highlighted

Here it is direct from Samsung in replying to an email I sent them. 

 

The SmartThings Extend (with the USB dongle) integration is different to the adding your TV as a 'Thing' (with a SmartThings Hub integration.

The complimentary Hub that we propose to send out to you will be the SmartThings v2 Hub and this will give you the capability of adding your TV as a Thing. With a SmartThings v2 Hub, you will have the functionality of including it in SmartThings Classic Routines and SmartThings Automations. Another feature is to able to use select TV controls on your mobile phone such as power On/Off, volume up/down and channel up/down as well as picture mode control.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-gb/articles/210766566-Samsung-TV-as-a-Thing

Highlighted

@Mylo75 wrote:

Here it is direct from Samsung in replying to an email I sent them. 

 

The SmartThings Extend (with the USB dongle) integration is different to the adding your TV as a 'Thing' (with a SmartThings Hub integration.

The complimentary Hub that we propose to send out to you will be the SmartThings v2 Hub and this will give you the capability of adding your TV as a Thing. With a SmartThings v2 Hub, you will have the functionality of including it in SmartThings Classic Routines and SmartThings Automations. Another feature is to able to use select TV controls on your mobile phone such as power On/Off, volume up/down and channel up/down as well as picture mode control.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-gb/articles/210766566-Samsung-TV-as-a-Thing


Laughable!

Highlighted

@Mylo75 wrote:

Here it is direct from Samsung in replying to an email I sent them. 

 

The SmartThings Extend (with the USB dongle) integration is different to the adding your TV as a 'Thing' (with a SmartThings Hub integration.

The complimentary Hub that we propose to send out to you will be the SmartThings v2 Hub and this will give you the capability of adding your TV as a Thing. With a SmartThings v2 Hub, you will have the functionality of including it in SmartThings Classic Routines and SmartThings Automations. Another feature is to able to use select TV controls on your mobile phone such as power On/Off, volume up/down and channel up/down as well as picture mode control.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-gb/articles/210766566-Samsung-TV-as-a-Thing


So guys.....play them at their own game.

 

Do a detailed list of the things that clearly show that the Smartthings external Hub is not the same as the TV integrated extend and send it back to them asking them to respond to your specific questions rather then just going from a script that's incorrect.  If they just send back the scripted answers it would add to the evidence of your case as they were given an opportunity to address things and didn't.

 

I said in a posting a few days back, this is a game, the reason they're making this offer is if anyone gets to court they can claim the took 'reasonable' steps to mitigate their failure to provide the originally specified functionality, you have to break down their argument point by point.

 

With all due respect throwing your hands in the air and rolling you eyes while stating (paraphrased) "...they're just fracking i d i o t s!!...." does nothing to further your argument and courts make decision based on logical arguments.

 

So if you want to win, respond in a way that puts them back on the defence and makes them do work.

 

 

Highlighted

Just a quick update on my case. As you know Richer Sounds eventually decided to collect my television but my case with Retail ADR did go to the adjudicator because they refused at first. He has now ruled that they do have to bear any reasonable cost for returning the television. You can see the final letter at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YYwCueJYK9hyTVsDOeR_hfVX1sWVWatJ. So, if you do get a refund remember you don't have to return the television and if you do make sure you claim the costs from them. Nearly at the end of my complaint, just waiting for the refund to be paid in to my bank account.

Top Liked Authors