Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 08-12-2018 08:37 AM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@PEPE010 wrote:

What is the difference between the two I have been offered one by currys today. Not sure what to do.

If you are talking about the smart things and you do not know then I must question are you making a genuine claim. Was the TV ability to be the Smart things hub influance your decission to buy. If not then you can not claim miss selling. 

0 Likes
PEPE010
Student
Options
Yes I was influenced by the smart thing as I went in to buy an LG oled if you must Know.
dipesh44
Pioneer
Options

Then you must be able to articulate what you were offered at the time of purchase against what is is beobe offered now?

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@PEPE010 wrote:
Yes I was influenced by the smart thing as I went in to buy an LG oled if you must Know

All the info is in a more condensed version on ks owners refund more info thread which is just 7 pages but has all the info you need. The replacement hub they are offering does not allow the TV to be the center of you Internet of things as advertised.

cypher915
Explorer
Options

Great news. Currys have agreed to replace my KS7500 but before anyone gets too excited its under the terms of the Knowhow Care Plan as I've had to send it in for repair on a number of occasions. Consequently I'm dropping the sect 75 complaint with Santander Cards. They (Santander) were very appreciative that I sent all the email correspondence with Currys along with a copy of the original receipt. Good luck to all you Currys customers waiting for them to see sense.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@cypher915 wrote:

Great news. Currys have agreed to replace my KS7500 but before anyone gets too excited its under the terms of the Knowhow Care Plan as I've had to send it in for repair on a number of occasions. Consequently I'm dropping the sect 75 complaint with Santander Cards. They (Santander) were very appreciative that I sent all the email correspondence with Currys along with a copy of the original receipt. Good luck to all you Currys customers waiting for them to see sense.

That's great but I think they used the clause to get around it.  It does give another avenue for those with this warranty. 

0 Likes
JamboGee92
Journeyman
Options

Hi, this is my 1st post on these forums. 

I'm trying to get a refund for my 49 inch KS7000 which I've had for around a year and a half now. I edited jep_uk's letter on here and sent it to John Lewis, this was the reply I received:

Thanks for contacting us with regards to your Samsung television.  Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

When you made your purchase, it was advertised your television would soon be updated with the ‘SmartThings’ functionality and that a SmartThings USB dongle would be provided to support this. As you’re aware, Samsung did not proceed with this and I can appreciate this was very disappointing. Whilst John Lewis only advertised this feature based on the information provided by Samsung, we do acknowledge this information was in our product descriptions.

We’ve been in contact with Samsung in order to seek a suitable resolution. In doing so, Samsung advised that unfortunately, for technical reasons they were unable to release the SmartThings Extend dongle, however for customers seeking SmartThings connectivity, they can provide their SmartThings Hub, with the confidence of consistent performance. This will be provided free for charge to customers who purchased selected 2016 televisions; which includes the television you purchased.

We asked Samsung to confirm exactly what the hub would do and how this compares to what was initially offered. Samsung confirmed the following;

“SmartThings features & functionality are not dependant on which device is acting as the Hub. SmartThings control is not possible on the TV due to technical reasons. All features & functionality are available for the user through the interface on their mobile device noting the control is the same or better than if it was on the TV. SmartThings users are currently using all features & functionality utilising the SmartThings Hub, therefore the supply of such “Free of charge” will enable customers to experience and enjoy SmartThings with the confidence of consistent performance.No control is available on the TV. If you need to view the SmartThings app on the TV it is possible to Mirror your phone on the TV via either the Smart View app (on iOS and Android) or Samsung Connect (on Samsung devices). Note that the control is still done via the mobile device.”

Product Features

• Connect wirelessly with a wide range of smart devices and make them work together.
  • Monitor and control connected devices in your home using a single SmartThings app for iPhone or Android.
  • Receive alerts from connected devices when there’s unexpected activity in your home.
  • Automate connected devices in your home and set them to turn on or off when doors are opened, as people come and go, and much more.
  • Manage connected devices in your home with voice commands using SmartThings and Amazon Alexa or Google Home.
  • Required an internet-connected Wi-Fi router with an available Ethernet port, plus the free SmartThings app for Android (4.1 or later) or iPhone (iOS 9.0 or later).

You can find out more by clicking the link below:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/smartthings/hub-f-hub-uk-v2/

To request your free SmartThings hub to be delivered, please contact Samsung at support@smartthings.co.uk and they will make the necessary arrangements.

I’m sincerely sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you and should you require any further clarification, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

0 Likes
JamboGee92
Journeyman
Options

TLDR; John Lewis are offering me a Samsung SmartHub for free. No refund or exchange :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Anyone here managed to get a refund or exchange from them?

0 Likes
Tyler_Durden
Voyager
Options

That information from Samsung isn't accurate, is it? Even if you can indeed do everything from your phone, it is still on your phone (assuming you have one). The difference is a screen size of 65" or 6" (adjust these accordingly). 

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Tyler_Durden wrote:

That information from Samsung isn't accurate, is it? Even if you can indeed do everything from your phone, it is still on your phone (assuming you have one). The difference is a screen size of 65" or 6" (adjust these accordingly). 

Even if Samsung couldnt integrate Smartthings how they originally wanted. The should have at least cobbled together a client for the TV.

Smartthings client on TV with a Smarththings hub would have equaled the original intended functionality, could have saved themselves a load of grief.

They have this already on there Tizen based watches.

In all honesty though I would be surprised if anybody with a smartthings setup would ONLY want to use the TV as the client, there are far more convenient devices such as phones/tablets or the multitude of cheap voice assistants on the market, you could probably get it onto the TV via an android box if you are desperate.

and if you shelled out for smart lighting/heating/fridges or whatever else you have hooked in then in all probability you would own one of these devices, even if it was just the smart phone

cheers

0 Likes