Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 23-07-2018 03:26 PM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
Stormed
Pioneer
Options

Currys have gone quiet. My last email to them was on the 9th July - I had no repsonse, I then escalted the case on Resolver to the 'Customer Services Manager' on the 17th July and have had no response. What an amazing customer experience...

darrant1234
Pioneer
Options

which email address were you talking to?  if you look back a few pages i posted the one i had sucess with.

Stormed
Pioneer
Options

@darrant1234 wrote:

which email address were you talking to?  if you look back a few pages i posted the one i had sucess with.

Thanks for your reply. I actually don't know, it is whatever email addresses Resolver use.

I'll check back and use the email address you have suggested and provide them a copy with all correspondance. 

Cheers.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options
I know may be slightly off topic but this month What Hi Fi has an article about the BBC Iplayer trial. Its interesting in that it seems to say there is no real reason why it should not work on any 4K tv. It seems it was a decision by Samsung not to enable it.

Manufacturer support

Another trending topic has been hardware support for UHD streams - and, notably, the lack of it on Samsung's 2016 4K HLG-compatible TVs.

Samsung defended the situation with the following official response: “all of Samsung’s 2016 HDR TVs support HLG Broadcast technology (firmware update required). BBC UHD iPlayer, however, relies on a mixture of technologies, not just HLG, to enable its streaming of UHD content. Samsung has no plans to support BBC UHD iPlayer on its 2016 UHD TV Range.”

While the BBC couldn’t comment specifically on the Samsung situation, Layton did say this: “iPlayer needed very little modification to do UHD. All iPlayer does is play back the video object it’s given to play. The television is responsible for the decoding, for receiving the segments, and for picking the right ones according to the bitrate for the network. In terms of televisions, we don’t have anything specific in iPlayer, it simply relies on HbbTV and DVB underlying standards… those standards include DVB-DASH, it’s nothing BBC-specific.

“If a TV supports those, it works. There aren’t specific changes for UHD playback in iPlayer. Because it’s HLG and backwards-compatible, our criteria was: if a TV accepts a BT2020 signal and plays it back without interruption without buffering, we’d enable that device. What we don’t want is HLG on a 709 display because we don’t want it to look wrong.

“It’s up to manufacturers to choose how they support it, but we wanted our content on as wide a range of devices as possible, we didn’t want to limit it.”

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@paul1111   Pretty much what I thought right from the start. Samsung more unwilling than unable to activate the 4k iplayer.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

It is nothing new and it is nothing we did not already know before. But it's nice to have it from a source OTHER than the journalist John Archer :smiling-face:

• The 2016 KS TVs do not support DVB-DASH.
  • This is because the Tizen 2.4 OS used on those TVs have an old version of a security library baked in at a low level.
  • This means that anything that needs DVB-DASH (in this one example, iPlayer with UHD streams) was never going to work, and this situation was locked in before the first unit ever rolled off the production line. The "decision" if there ever was one, was taken at THAT time.
  • Upgrading the OS of an embedded device isn't a simple "firmware update". It's not something they would ever deign to try: it would be cheaper for them to give away brand new 2017 TVs to everyone effected than re-develop Tizen 2.x for 2-year-old hardware.
  • We've known all of the above since early in the year.

I repeat, it's good to have the spotlight on it more, but it's NOT NEWS! There is zero new information in the article. It just re-states that Samsung dropped the ball, badly, in late 2015 when they were developing the 2016 models and they froze an old library into Tizen 2.4 for all the 2016 models. 

It was not a strategic decision to screw over UK owners, nor a decision taken in 2016 or 2017. Hanlon's razor applies.

On the bright side, I now have a beautiful LG 2018 OLED which I wouldn't have had otherwise. So although I'm annoyed with Samsung I am happy with the outcome.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

Brief update on my dispute with John Lewis. They have appointed a firm of solicitors in Scotland to defend the case.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tarbat wrote:

Brief update on my dispute with John Lewis. They have appointed a firm of solicitors in Scotland to defend the case.

I thinks that's all part of the intimidation to make you think they will fight all the way.  Looks like they will take it to the court doors. See what happens when you go through those doors. 

Paul

Stormed
Pioneer
Options

My latest response from Currys:

Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response. 

We are currently investigating the matter and will be in further contact when a formal company wide decision has been made, in the mean time, can you send over the following details so we can locate your purchase; 

Full address given at purchase 
Full name given at purchase 
Receipt number 
Purchase branch 
Purchase date 

Other than the above, we do not require further information and appreciate your patience. 

alex_92812
Explorer
Options

This is great news, thanks for sharing this.

My last interaction with Currys regarding my complaint was them admitting misrepresentation and offering a little over 50% of the purchase price in currys vouchers, which they confirmed was their last and final offer to me.

I expect there'll be a lot of people waiting for the result of this "formal company wide decision"