Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 12-07-2018 09:09 AM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tazg101 wrote:

Had this reply from John Lewis:

We have received your email regarding the mis-selling of order number zzzzzzz.

Thank you for contacting John Lewis on this matter.  I have looked into this matter for you and i can confirm that John Lewis are not in breach of the contract regarding the Samsung television.

While i do understand and acknowledge the disappointment this has caused you however John Lewis will not arrange for the product to be refunded or exchanged for a similar product.  When you purchased your television, it was advertised it would soon be updated with the SmartThings functionality and, that the USB dongle would be provided to enable this. As you are aware Samsung did not proceed with this and I can appreciate this was very disappointing. Whilst John Lewis only advertised this feature based on the information provided by Samsung,  We do acknowledge that this was provided in the product information on the John Lewis website.

We’ve been in contact with Samsung and the solution available is to provide the SmartThings Hub. Whilst we are aware it does not provide exactly the same functionality as the USB dongle would have, we do trust it is a reasonable alternative. Samsung have agreed to offer the product worth £99 for free and you will need to contact Samsung on (support@smarthings.co.uk).

Having reviewed the case information for you i do appreciate that this mite not be the resolution you were hoping for as John Lewis will not be issuing a refund or exchanging the product however if you do require any further information or regarding any of the above please do not hesitate to contact John Lewis on 03456 049 049. 

Yours sincerely,

Brian Grattan
JohnLewis.com

How should I proceed next? thanks. 

Just ask them are the accepting that you misrepresented the tv on their own website? 

I know they have already said that,  and they accept the hub would not give you same function as dongle,  but get it absolutely clear. 

Paul

Sheraton6
Explorer
Options

Edited as post duplicated. 

0 Likes
Sheraton6
Explorer
Options

@Tazg101 wrote:

Had this reply from John Lewis:

We have received your email regarding the mis-selling of order number zzzzzzz.

Thank you for contacting John Lewis on this matter.  I have looked into this matter for you and i can confirm that John Lewis are not in breach of the contract regarding the Samsung television.

While i do understand and acknowledge the disappointment this has caused you however John Lewis will not arrange for the product to be refunded or exchanged for a similar product.  When you purchased your television, it was advertised it would soon be updated with the SmartThings functionality and, that the USB dongle would be provided to enable this. As you are aware Samsung did not proceed with this and I can appreciate this was very disappointing. Whilst John Lewis only advertised this feature based on the information provided by Samsung,  We do acknowledge that this was provided in the product information on the John Lewis website.

We’ve been in contact with Samsung and the solution available is to provide the SmartThings Hub. Whilst we are aware it does not provide exactly the same functionality as the USB dongle would have, we do trust it is a reasonable alternative. Samsung have agreed to offer the product worth £99 for free and you will need to contact Samsung on (support@smarthings.co.uk).

Having reviewed the case information for you i do appreciate that this mite not be the resolution you were hoping for as John Lewis will not be issuing a refund or exchanging the product however if you do require any further information or regarding any of the above please do not hesitate to contact John Lewis on 03456 049 049. 

Yours sincerely,

Brian Grattan
JohnLewis.com

How should I proceed next? thanks. 

I think my favourite line from that is “I can confirm JL are not in breach of contract” and then he makes no attempt to validate that statement and instead details the exact ways they are in breach of contract. 

He comfirms the dongle was on their advert. 

He confirms the alternative from Samsung doesn’t offer the same functionality. 

An attempt to mush you to deal with Samsung and get a ‘free’ hub has given you loads of ammunition to use. 

darrant1234
Pioneer
Options

Hi, thought id put up my complaint email which also contains my original email in it based on a template from this thread.  I sent the original email to currys and heard nothing for around 7-10 days at which point they replied asking for some details such as address and receipt numbers etc.  I then heard nothing for around 5 days so chased the twitter know how team.  They basically fobbed me off and offer a smarthings hub, even though i explained to them its a different device and doesn't do what was advertised. I was weighing up my options and thinking straight to court but thought id email the CEO first to complain with the email below.  As Sebastian has now quit his email replys saying please contact the address i provided earlier. so i basically changed the start of the letter to how is it below instead of sayign hello Sebastian etc.

I recently contacted curry's as I feel I was mis-sold a tv back in July 2016.  At the time I was looking for a new TV to last a number of years so spent more than originally planned and pondered over my choice to ensure it was right for me and my family.  One of the things we enjoy doing is putting a film on enjoy a few hours with no distractions from phones etc.  As we live in a townhouse and the living room is on the 1st floor we often don't hear our doorbell so can miss deliveries or other family calling round.  

At the time of looking for a TV, I found this link on the curry's tech talk web site.

from reading this I thought great I can see whose at the front door mid-movie etc but also I can control lights which would be useful.

The advertising / product page for the TV at the time also stated the TV could control smart things or IOT devices straight from the TV.

"SmartThings Extend
Your home is connected with Samsung SmartThings, and now you can make the 65KS9000 the brain of your smart home with SmartThings Extend.
Control your connected devices directly from the TV at the touch of a button or using voice commands – instantly set the mood with automated lighting and speakers, lock doors and control hundreds of other compatible smart devices"
The above quoted from the Curry's website states the TV can be the brain of the home being able to change lighting and lock doors etc.
Now, this feature has never arrived and Samsung have stated it won't arrive and therefore I feel the TV was missold.  I was also looking at LG tv's at the time but these features swayed me to purchase the Samsung KS9000 at a cost of £2899.00

I recently sent an email into Curry's customer services which had 1 response then I heard nothing so I chased up customer services through the team know how twitter account.  These responded fast but didn't grasp that the TV wasn't doing as advertised.  They did offer a free smart things HUB to control smart things devices but for that to work I would need to use a phone or tablet and the TV couldn't control anything (which was originally advertised). I contacted Samsung as they have also said the hub and smart things extend are 2 different devices and do not do the same thing.  So, therefore, the smarthings HUB does not replace the original advertised product and is not a suitable form of compensation for the lack of smart things extend.

Under the consumer rights act 2015 if an item has been mis-sold as above in a period of up to 6 years the customer can seek a full refund.

"Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Which? Consumer Rights <link rel="stylesheet" href="//prod.global-fragments-server.green.which.co.uk/fragments-56306fad1b5e45e025231cc84ad2ab1d.css">
  • As described  The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase."
I am therefore asking for a full refund as per my rights but I would also be willing to take a credit note so I can purchase a new TV which is advertised correctly (I am willing to pay the difference for a more expensive TV If I see one I want).

the branch I purchased the TV from is 2304 and my receipt number is MY RECEIPT NUMBER.  i was mid-move at the time but the address when I bought the TV was MY ADDRESS.

below is a copy of my email which originally got ignored.

"22/06/2018

Dear Sir or Madam,

REFERENCE: MY NAME / Currys-Samsung UE65KS9000

I purchased the Samsung UE65KS9000 from Curry's at Birstall Leeds. At the point of purchase I paid £2899.00 on 11th July 2016.

The Samsung UE65KS9000 is not as described. Prior, during and after me purchasing this particular television Curry's advertised that:

“Samsung SUHD TVs are IOT ready and allow you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem

Experience a new world of possibilities as Samsung's SUHD TVs enable you to create your very own SmartThings ecosystem. With a wide variety of sensors and inputs work harmoniously with your TV you can control everything from lighting to heating, monitor your baby sleeping or check homework is being done all directly controllable from your SUHD TV.”

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20160722085903/http:/www.currys.co.uk:80/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/...

In the product information on your website, it stated that the television was IOT ready and yet Samsung have not enabled this feature and furthermore, since now officially confirmed they are not releasing the dongle to enable this feature they have misrepresented the capability of the television.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with Curry's that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

As you are in breach of contract and I've owned the product for less than 6 years I am within my statutory rights to ask for it to be refunded or exchanged at no further cost to me.

I await confirmation that you will provide the remedy set out above within 14 days of the date of this letter.

Yours faithfully,

MY NAME
MOBILE NUMBER"

If you feel this would need to go to an alternative dispute resolution service then I am willing to do that also just please let me know which one you wish to use, but please note a recent case against Richer Sounds went to ADR and it was ruled in favour of the customer and now richer sounds have been refunding for mis-sold KS series TV's.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wchOMdwsbyzfMV4dbYBvh0wxDkkn9Z_z/view

Please get back to me within 14 days to make refund arrangements or to discuss further on the number above or reply to this email, as advised by citizens advice if this email does not progress my complaint to my satisfaction I will be seeking legal advice / starting legal proceedings. 

many thanks for your help in this matter

MY NAME

Domaz1
Explorer
Options

Does anyone by any chance have a web archive link for Currys ad for the KS7000?

Manager called me back yesterday and offered to return the TVs based on today’s retail price (which I of course rejected). He kept trying to say that the knowhow page doesn’t necessarily say my specific model came with the SmartThings Extend even though I told him it states ALL 2016 SUHD sets do. My point is, if I can show him the specific product page with the SmartThings Extend write it removes all uncertainty and there’s really not much he can say but offer to return at full original purchase price.

If anyone has it, I’d be very grateful. I have tried searching myself but haven’t managed to find anything.

Dom

0 Likes
RichersoundsIRL
Apprentice
Options

Pete,

thanks for that - really appreciated - looking forward to chatting again,

John Mc

darrant1234
Pioneer
Options

Hi domaz1, try this link.  the web archive site plays up through our works firewall / proxy at times so not sure if its not loading due to the site or our filters.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160724095109/http://www.currys.co.uk:80/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment...

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Domaz1 wrote:

Does anyone by any chance have a web archive link for Currys ad for the KS7000?

Manager called me back yesterday and offered to return the TVs based on today’s retail price (which I of course rejected). He kept trying to say that the knowhow page doesn’t necessarily say my specific model came with the SmartThings Extend even though I told him it states ALL 2016 SUHD sets do. My point is, if I can show him the specific product page with the SmartThings Extend write it removes all uncertainty and there’s really not much he can say but offer to return at full original purchase price.

If anyone has it, I’d be very grateful. I have tried searching myself but haven’t managed to find anything.

Dom

Its on the first or second page of this thread. Its the curry's knowhow link. 

Paul

RichersoundsIRL
Apprentice
Options

@Paul1277

Declared interest - I work for Richer Sounds Ireland ( this is a completely different company to Richer Sounds PLC UK)

just a quick friendly post - as you can see from the post above the OP Peteeed is actually happy with how we are looking after him - this is 'not starting again' the OP has not actually decided what he would like but as ever we are happy to work with him.

We are in no way trying to miss lead the Customer and I'm not sure why you suggest that the OP takes us to an ADR when we are working with the OP to see how he would like this resolved, we contacted him within 1 hour of his original email - in the context of the OP saying that we are 'totally great and reasonable' I do hope that you can acknowledge this and I'm sure Pete will pop up a post when the issue is resolved.

Thanks as ever,

John McDonald

Domaz1
Explorer
Options

@darrant1234

Appreciate that, thanks.

0 Likes