Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 27-02-2018 10:24 AM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

I've just updated to 1239 firmware on my KS9500.  I have a Roku+ and wonder if there is any way to test the HLG, given we don't have Sky HLG yet in the UK?

Use a websocket client to see if the Sky Q box sees an HLG enabled TV.  In a websocket client, type ws://192.168.0.xx:9006/as/system/status    where 192.168.0.xx is the IP address of the Sky Q box

Should see an HDMI section like this - so just check if "SinkHLG is true.

"hdmi": {
"2160p10bitCapable": true,
"authenticatedHDCP": "2.2",
"sinkHDCP": "2.2",
"sinkHLG": true,
"sinkUHD": true,
"state": "available",
"uhdConfigured": true
},

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

I would if I knew what a websocktet client is :smiling-face:

0 Likes
kit1977
Journeyman
Options

if on google chrome there is a websocket client extension you can add

if on android there is a good websocket client app

rozel
Voyager
Options

Too much over my head so not bothering.   I have no doubts about my Sky Q  box not working properly now,  as and when they start to transmit HDR / HLG

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

So i've just installed FW1239 on my KS7000 and checked the Sky Q box using the websocket client and I can confirm:

"sinkHLG": true,

We finally got the fix! Just need Sky to launch HDR now!

tigernike1
First Poster
Options

hi,

please can you let me know if i can download the firmware from the samsung italian site and put on a usb stick

thanks paul

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tigernike1 wrote:

hi,

please can you let me know if i can download the firmware from the samsung italian site and put on a usb stick

thanks paul

Just pm @blenky and he will give you the link. 

0 Likes
kit1977
Journeyman
Options

Just ask samsung helpdesk to send it out to you. I did it via webchat. 

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Meant to post this earlier and some will be aware, however seems will be a while we have a further wait before we can enjoy SkyQ  HDR in the UK.  Apparently other priorities at the moment (some detailed in this article), however many will not think  other offerings are as important  (even if not everyone is interested in HDR).

SkyQ HDR - May be Late 2020 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

It turns out Hdr with be coming to Sky Q Boxes from 27th of May, so shorter delay after all. Will be using HLG for some nature programmes  and will follow later on Sky original Shows.  However it seems the older 1TB boxes will not be compatible, though the rest should be fine.  Reported on a few sites  but has not yet been the fanfare of an official announcement.

omeecinemachoice.com/content/sky-finally-upgrades-4k-uhd-hdr-your-sky-q-compatible 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.