Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 25-04-2018 02:03 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@gfsracing wrote:
Just seen this on another forum

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-own...

Certainly hopeful news and thanks for the link.

0 Likes
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

The fact that we seem to be getting this information from multiple sources hopefully comfirms that Samsung are looking at this problem

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

The fact that we seem to be getting this information from multiple sources hopefully comfirms that Samsung are looking at this problem

It's a pity though Samsung will not officially confirm or deny this.

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

Definitely! Let's just hope the fix is out before Sky actually launch HDR!

I still don't understand why Samsung added HLG to these tv's over a year ago but never bothered to update the EDID at the same time?

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

I still don't understand why Samsung added HLG to these tv's over a year ago but never bothered to update the EDID at the same time?

I agree!!

However, it may well be because adding HLG to the EDID may not have been 'necessary' in their products. HLG is supposed to be Backwards Compatible and work on any TV whether it supports HLG or not. The content could be sent regardless of whether its to a HLG enabled TV or not and will still display. Samsungs own Bluray players for example don't require an EDID update to work so they 'may' have thought that was unnecessary. It has proved to be a mistake now with DirectTV and now Sky requesting that information from the EDID before they will send HLG to the TV.

In my opinion, it would have made sense to ensure the EDID was updated along with the HLG update to cover all eventualities. It seems odd to me that they didn't update the EDID along with the update that adds a 'new' spec to the TV. It almost feels like a rushed or half-assed update where one of the important factors of it was overlooked - the one that tells connected devices that it can send HLG content because the TV is HLG enabled.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

Like many things to do with the company, it's very odd. Their refusal to supply any release notes* with firmware upgrades is a fundamental part of the problem and makes it much harder to trace problems and dates.

Just compare it with THIS from Sony: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00015010 . This is the level of information that anyone would expect to be provided with any firmware update:

===============BEGIN QUOTE===============

• Benefits and improvements from the latest update
    Dolby Vision content is supported for video streaming apps/services installed on the TV such as Amazon Prime Video and Netflix. (ZD9, XE94, XE93 and A1 only)*
  • Voice search UI has changed
    You can search content while viewing the screen. Press the [↑] button on the remote control to show all of the search results. Then scroll through the categories using the directional buttons.
    Introduces support for BBC iPlayer HLG HDR format (UK only)
    Resolves an issue where the following message appears: "Samba Services Manager has stopped"
    Resolves an issue where audio on TV speaker echoes when connected to Bluetooth headphones
    Resolves Amazon Prime Video playback issue where the video freezes and lip sync error occurs
    Resolves an issue where home audio amplifier does not switch input automatically to TV input when using "BRAVIA Sync Control" function
    Resolves an issue where the TV input selector does not switch to HDMI connected player automatically when using the "One-Touch Play" feature
    Resolves an issue where videos from NPO’s HbbTV app cannot be played (The Netherlands only)
    Resolves an issue where sound continues to be heard from the Sound Bar after turning off the TV via the remote control
    * Selected Sony TVs (ZD9, XE94, XE93 and A1 Series) will support Dolby Vision with the software update to be rolled out in Europe within April, 2018. To enjoy Dolby Vision content, the video streaming app/service must support Dolby Vision. For more information, please contact the app/service provider. In addition, after the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such streaming media players and UHD Blu-ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more information on the timing of an update to a particular player, please contact the player’s manufacturer.
  • Previous Benefits and Improvements
    The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
  • Introduces How-to videos in the BRAVIA Recommendations shelf
    Introduces compatibility with Amazon Alexa-enabled devices (UK only)
    Improves TV response time when using the remote control
    Improves user experience when setting up Samba TV service
    Resolves YouTube 4K playback issue (2,560 x 1,440 resolution or higher)
    Resolves an issue where the TV turns on by itself from standby mode
    This firmware update introduces Android Nougat to Sony's Android TV and supports:
    Picture-in-Picture mode
    Half-screen settings mode
    Task-switching (quickly access recently used apps)
    Multiple Google accounts
    Google Cast 4K content via built-in Chromecast
    Ability to switch to TV viewing mode from Home menu with PROG +/- or number buttons
    Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) HDR content
    Voice search web browser functionality
    Improved category list design
    Improved Wi-Fi password input screen
    A2DP (Bluetooth headphone) functionality (Applicable for A1, XE94, XE93, XE90, and XE85 Series)
    New sound setting (Dialogue mode) (Applicable for A1, XE94, XE93, XE90, XE85, XE83, and XE80 Series)
    NOTE: For more information on the features and improvements, please go to: http://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/welcome-to-android-nougat.
    Improved channel sorting

===============END QUOTE=================

I won't be able to change Samsung's mind with this post, but I hope one day they recognise the benefits of transparancy for both their customers and their business as a whole.

* Samsung's boilerplate text ("Improved usability, Improved browser performance, Improved app performance, Improved stability, Improved usability of input devices.") which is tagged onto to every single firmware upgrade is actually worse than nothing, because it's merely a "we've made it better" platitude, and lulls some people into thinking they have been given release notes.

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

It seems that way, or at the time they only added HLG with the intention of it working with the internal tuners.

Which seems likely as when discussing the iplayer issue they always state HLG for BROADCAST was added to the TV as promised, and won't be made compatible through iplayer.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

It seems that way, or at the time they only added HLG with the intention of it working with the internal tuners.

Which seems likely as when discussing the iplayer issue they always state HLG for BROADCAST was added to the TV as promised, and won't be made compatible through iplayer.

I know its a play on words but would the live rugby shown on Saturday on Iplayer 4K HLG be broadcast as it's live, bit like the world cup if that's also shown on Iplayer?

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

I know its a play on words but would the live rugby shown on Saturday on Iplayer 4K HLG be broadcast as it's live, bit like the world cup if that's also shown on Iplayer?

It's largely semantics of course, but if it was me I would call it a "live stream".

With broadcasting, when we talk about "live" we all accept a delay of a few seconds while the signal bounces up to a satellite and back down, and through the network to our screens. Also the Digital TV era adds a few seconds of encoding delay on top of that, plus decoding delay at the TV end. So a "live" broadcast now will easily be 2-3 seconds behind a "live" broadcast in the analogue age. You can hear this every day if you compare the imposter digital pips on Radio 4 DAB to the real ones on FM. :smiling-face:

With internet streaming, as opposed to proper broadcasting, people accept there is a much, much bigger delay. With Sky's live streams of F1 for example they are easily 30 seconds to a minute behind the proper broadcast. However, to make things simpler we all still tend to call them "live" streams. YouTubers do, for example. It's just quicker and easier than saying "live but could be up to 2 minutes behind real time".