Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 30-03-2018 02:00 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Grinchwrote:

So no point me upgrading to Sky Q and paying for the 4K. 

Sky Q 4k works on the KS sets and has worked for the last 18 months or so (since it launched)

Its specifically HLG which currently will not work without the above mentioned solutions

cheers

Grinch
Explorer
Options
Cheers for that
0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Grinchwrote:

It's too soon to say. We are discussing a service which doesn't exist in the UK yet, only for Italian Sky customers.

Sky UK's 4k service is currently SDR-only and they have not said when they are going to start dipping their toes into the HDR world, (several years behind Amazon and Netflix of course).

It doesn't matter what TV you have, as of right now, it would be SDR only from Sky Q.

You get far more for your HDR money from Amazon and Netflix. "The Man in the High Castle" is a good showcase for how great HDR can look, and episode 1 is free from the bulit-in Amazon app on your TV. NB: Amazon have a stupid system where every title is split and listed twice: if you don't watch "The Man in the High Castle Ultra HD" you won't get 4k or HDR.

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@Grinchwrote:

There is a 'point' if you want 4k Sky content - movies, box sets and/or sport. The KS is (currently) fully compatible with EVERYTHING SkyQ is offereing (at least in the UK). I have SkyQ and watch a lot of 4k Movies, Sports and box sets - no issues at all.

IF/When Sky add HLG to SkyQ, unless Samsung have fixed the EDID issue which according to various sources is supposed to be in the works, then the TV won't be telling SkyQ its HLG enabled so the SkyQ won't send HLG to the TV so you will just get 4k SDR version instead. If you have a HDFury that can add the HLG data to the EDID, it will tell the Sky box its connected to a HLG enabled TV and then send the HLG to the TV which has proven to be a workaround. Its no point rushing out and buying a HDFury as Samsung 'could' fix the EDID by the time SkyQ start HLG Broadcasts in the UK.

It won't make the KS incompatible with SkyQ and 4k content though either way. It will only affect HLG content but if it tisn't fixed (or you don't get a HDFury), you will just get the 4k SDR version instead. Chances are that a lot of the on-demand and 'Netflix' (when that comes to Sky) will use HDR10 and the EDID states the KS is HDR enabled so you should still have no problems displaying this if that is the case.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Grinchwrote:

Still get the 4k but no HDR hlg unless as some say you could buy the HD fury. 

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options

There is a new update available on the Samsing site

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE65KS7000UXXU

According to users in the US, it has the long awaited (for some) HDR game mode fix. No news if it has anything to do with the HLG issue that we are all looking for. On the plus side, at least they are still doing updates - fingers crossed HLG will be soon.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

This statement that was supposed to be close seems to be taking a little bit longer,  or is it that Samsungs position is actually closed? 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@stevej190wrote:

There is a new update available on the Samsing site

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE65KS7000UXXU

According to users in the US, it has the long awaited (for some) HDR game mode fix. No news if it has anything to do with the HLG issue that we are all looking for. On the plus side, at least they are still doing updates - fingers crossed HLG will be soon.

Argh, you beat me to it! I was late home yesterday so didn't get a chance to post here about it. Yes, the April firmware update is available for US models and a lot of people who slated Rudy1 (a user who has many industry contacts) for giving us the advance information are strangely quiet. They are quick to criticise, slow to apologise. A Pity. 😞

This firmware update contains at least the Game mode enhancement (it saves SDR and HDR settings independantly, just like Movie and Standard modes do).

I don't think anyone with DirectTV there has tested for the EDID fix yet, but I am not really expecting it to be in this version, because we were told there was "no timescale", which was a very different message to the "Game mode firmware update in April" message. :smiling-face:

But I agree - fingers crossed it'll be soon!

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

Firmware 1220 doesn't fix the HLG EDID issue for DirecTV, so it likely won't fix it for Sky either. We'll have to wait for a future firmware update for that.

By the way, this is off topic, but since the game mode HDR fix was mentioned, I thought I'd clear up a misconception regarding HDR video games. I visited a friend yesterday who has an Xbox One X and an HDFury Linker, and contrary to what has been posted on this and other forums, HDR games on the Xbox One X output BT2020 color space, not BT709. Only the Xbox One S was outputting BT709 for video games, because it only supported BT2020 for media. The Xbox One X does support WCG for HDR video games, though.

tarbat
Voyager
Options

I've update my KS8000 with the 1220 update, and it makes no difference to the EDID, it's identical to the EDID before the update - I checked it on my HDFury.

So, no HLG 😞

0 Likes