Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 29-03-2018 05:09 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
stevej190
Pioneer
Options

I have the 60KS7000 and also use sky Q, I also use a Denon 2400 AV receiver that has had the HLG update and obviously has HDR pass through etc.

What I'm wondering is does this change the process of the EDID confirmation from the TV (which we know is currently missing the vital HLG tick) as the AV receiver is sat in the middle between the TV and Sky box? Or does the EDID from the tv get passed along the chain back to the Shy box?

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@stevej190wrote:

I have the 60KS7000 and also use sky Q, I also use a Denon 2400 AV receiver that has had the HLG update and obviously has HDR pass through etc.

What I'm wondering is does this change the process of the EDID confirmation from the TV (which we know is currently missing the vital HLG tick) as the AV receiver is sat in the middle between the TV and Sky box? Or does the EDID from the tv get passed along the chain back to the Shy box?

Typically AV receivers, etc. use the EDID from the TV to decide what EDID to present to the source device. Some AV receivers let you intefere with this process, but I don't know about the Denon 2400. For example, my Yamaha YSP-2700 simply passes the EDID along from my UE55KS8000 TV, although does change the Manufacturer ID in the EDID to Yamaha.

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options
Thanks for that tarbat.
Is the only way of checking EDID from AV receiver by way of the HD Fury? In which case I'm no better off I suppose.
0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

If you can connect a PC to the AV receiver or TV, then using something like MonitorInfoView and EEditGold will let you see what the EDID reports, although that can depend on the computers graphic card. Not sure if MonitorInfoView collects ALL EDID data though such as the CEA extended stuff, but might be worth a try.

EDIT: Just checked, and MonitorInfoView doesn't collect the CEA extended stuff, so can't show if HLG is enabled. Sorry 😞

0 Likes
stevej190
Pioneer
Options
Great, I'll give that a go over the weekend. Thanks.
0 Likes
Grinch
Explorer
Options

Hi. Am i expecting too much? I bought this KS9000 last July as it was advertised as a 4K television. Is it too much to expect it to work with Sky, BT and be able to see the BBC iPlayer HLG Blue Planet transmission 4K content.

I am not interested in the least about the technicalities around EDID, HD FURY  whether or not the BBC iPlayer is a broadcast and therefore if it is not then it does not count.

Please SAMSUNG just be honest and tell us what is going on, arguably you have manufactured something that just does not do what it is supposed to do. What 4K content can i watch? 

Just fix it. If you cannot fix it then offer a replacement or a sustantial refund.

It may be a 2016 model however i purchased it in July 2017.  Not even 1 year old and completely obsolete, if it was a little smaller it would make a fancy paper weight.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbatwrote:

If you can connect a PC to the AV receiver or TV, then using something like MonitorInfoView and EEditGold will let you see what the EDID reports, although that can depend on the computers graphic card. Not sure if MonitorInfoView collects ALL EDID data though such as the CEA extended stuff, but might be worth a try.

EDIT: Just checked, and MonitorInfoView doesn't collect the CEA extended stuff, so can't show if HLG is enabled. Sorry 😞

Is it worth trying Monitor Asset Manager? It's free: https://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

"The latest version also supports DisplayID structures, extracts and decodes EIA/CEA-861 extension data for consumer electronics devices like HDTVs, builds EDID override INF files, allows simple editing of key EDID data fields, and queries for basic Monitor Command and Control (MCCS) information from next-generation DisplayPort and DDC/CI compliant displays."

tarbat
Voyager
Options

Good find. I couldn't get it to interpret the Type 6 Extended CEA block, it just displays:

Reserved video related data
Data payload............. 060D01

But you can export the EDID from Monitor Asset Manager as a BIN file and then import intoEEditGold to view the Extended CEA blocks. Type 6 extended block is the one to examine for the HDR/HLG flag.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@tarbatwrote:

Needless to say I've emailed them back to query this reply.

Latest reply from Samsung U.K. Support.  I wonder what they mean by “alternative ways to have your TV compatible with HLG external devices“.

.......... the HLG or 'Hybrid Log Gamma' function is supported only by the digital terrestrial and satellite decoder integrated in the TV and via USB. Samsung is evaluating the situation for a possible future software update. Hence, it is not yet compatible on external devices connected to your TV such as Sky Q box, even if the external device itself is HLG capable.

Thank you for bringing the matter to our attention. Know that it has been raised and being looked into with the highest priority. We cannot promise any specific time scale but Samsung is doing its best to enhance our products and services as soon as possible. Should there be any updates (software or alternative ways to have your TV compatible with HLG external devices), Samsung will keep us posted.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbatwrote:

Latest reply from Samsung U.K. Support.  I wonder what they mean by “alternative ways to have your TV compatible with HLG external devices“.

.......... the HLG or 'Hybrid Log Gamma' function is supported only by the digital terrestrial and satellite decoder integrated in the TV and via USB. Samsung is evaluating the situation for a possible future software update. Hence, it is not yet compatible on external devices connected to your TV such as Sky Q box, even if the external device itself is HLG capable.

Thank you for bringing the matter to our attention. Know that it has been raised and being looked into with the highest priority. We cannot promise any specific time scale but Samsung is doing its best to enhance our products and services as soon as possible. Should there be any updates (software or alternative ways to have your TV compatible with HLG external devices), Samsung will keep us posted.

To me that reads like a poorly worded version of what our American friends with DirectTV have already been told: a fix for the EDID issue is being worked on, with no timescale at present. As we know here, software wise, there aren't a "range of ways" they can choose "alternatives" from, it's one way - just fix the EDID (which is relatively simple to do)!

The only logical conclusion for "alternatives" therefore, is they are talking about hardware (ie a new One Connect box) which would be a sledgehammer to crack a nut, since you don't need new hardware to change the EDID. To me I think this is what a company would say if they were panicking and wanted to keep all their options open.