Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 28-03-2018 05:37 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
rled050469
Voyager
Options

@tarbatwrote:

So Sky Italia have been broadcasting 4K HLG this weekend, and as good as my Italian is, I can't be sure, but I don't think any 2016 KS owners have been able to view it in HLG. Even worse, they are reporting that their beloved Ferraris are ORANGE. My guess is this is caused by the broadcast being in BT.2020 colour space, but the TV processing it as SDR (BT.709).

Anyway, discussion at https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smart-TV-Audio-e-Video/SKY-4k-e-HLG/td-p/424626

First of all, sorry for my EN.

Something really strange happened with the Broadcast of F1 from SKY Italia this weekend, if you look at the  pictures below: first is taken form the live broadcast, second is a replay broadcast in the evening, judge yourself.

Both My KS7000 and SKYQ had exactly the same settings in both pictures

BTW: I will have my HDFURY tomorrow, let you know if and how it works.

WIN_20180324_18_52_24_Pro.jpgWIN_20180326_18_56_22_Pro.jpg

tarbat
Voyager
Options

So, it looks like a Sky Q owner in Italy has now bought themselves an HDFury Integral and proven that my suggestion of using it to spoof the EDID from the TV works. So, even if Samsung don't update the EDID, it is possible to get these TVs to work with Sky Q HLG.

http://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smart-TV-Audio-e-Video/SKY-4k-e-HLG/m-p/463655#M72424

I still hope Samsung fix the EDID, but at least there appears to be a workaround.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

excellent news this. Yes Samsung should get it sorted but for some this workaround would be more preferential to spending £££££ on a TV with HLG.

To get something as good/better you are talking either a high end Sony LCD xe93,ZD9.... or one of the Panny,LG,Sony etc OLEDS.

cheers

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@chopples123wrote:

excellent news this. Yes Samsung should get it sorted but for some this workaround would be more preferential to spending £££££ on a TV with HLG.

To get something as good/better you are talking either a high end Sony LCD xe93,ZD9.... or one of the Panny,LG,Sony etc OLEDS.

cheers

Sort of let's samsung off the hook! 

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@tarbatwrote:

So, it looks like a Sky Q owner in Italy has now bought themselves an HDFury Integral and proven that my suggestion of using it to spoof the EDID from the TV works. So, even if Samsung don't update the EDID, it is possible to get these TVs to work with Sky Q HLG.

http://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smart-TV-Audio-e-Video/SKY-4k-e-HLG/m-p/463655#M72424

I still hope Samsung fix the EDID, but at least there appears to be a workaround.

Good to know. Was this person using the same Infoframe (the corrected one) as you?

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDRwrote:

@tarbatwrote:

Good to know. Was this person using the same Infoframe (the corrected one) as you?

No need, since the Sky Q box in HDR mode generates the correct HLG infoframe. All they had to do was spoof the EDID to tell the Sky Q box that the TV supports HLG.

0 Likes
rled050469
Voyager
Options

I just got a mail form Samsung support in Italy that apparently confirms that KS TV (at least the  UE55KS7000UXZT) will get a firmware update to fix the HLG support for SKY Q. but not any timeframe yet.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@rled050469wrote:

I just got a mail form Samsung support in Italy that apparently confirms that KS TV (at least the  UE55KS7000UXZT) will get a firmware update to fix the HLG support for SKY Q. but not any timeframe yet.

Great news. 

This is independant of the word from Samsung USA reported on AVSforum that they too were looking to fix the EDID, again with no timeframe.

But it is very positive to get the same pledge from two sources.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

Unfortunately Samsung Support in the UK don't seem to know about the problem. Here's the reply I've just received from UK Support (seuk.contactus@partner.samsung.com):

"This is to acknowledge that we have received your email. In reference to your concern, your TV model supports HDR and it should work with your Sky Q box. "

My question to them was "I understand my TV needs a firmware update to enable HDR, specifically Hybrid Log Gamma, as an input on the HDMI ports. Where can I get this update, and when will it be available."

Needless to say I've emailed them back to query this reply.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbatwrote:

Unfortunately Samsung Support in the UK don't seem to know about the problem. Here's the reply I've just received from UK Support (seuk.contactus@partner.samsung.com):

"This is to acknowledge that we have received your email. In reference to your concern, your TV model supports HDR and it should work with your Sky Q box. "

My question to them was "I understand my TV needs a firmware update to enable HDR, specifically Hybrid Log Gamma, as an input on the HDMI ports. Where can I get this update, and when will it be available."

Needless to say I've emailed them back to query this reply.

Indeed. "Should work" when we already know that without the EDID fix, it probably will not.

I loathe the way some organlsations reword your question into something you didn't ask, and then answer their own question. It is a creeping practice that I've noticed more and more (it's not just Samsung who do this).

You did not ask them "please sir, does my TV support HDR?" as if you were completely thick. Yet they have only written a reply that question, and not the question you actually asked.

0 Likes