Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with QN90A and Receivers

(Topic created on: 14-04-2022 10:50 PM)
ryancharles
Student
Options

Good Day Everyone,

I am having, from what I am reading, a known issue with by Samsung 65inch QN90A TV. I was wondering if someone out-there has a solution or work around. I have already spoken to Samsung support and tried numerous factory resets and manually upgraded the firmware to the latest version, 1901

The TV was installed on Dec 29. It is hooked up via an HDMI cable from the HDMI eArc port #3 to the correct port on my Denon Receiver.

My cable box and Nvidea Shield are also connected to the Denon Receiver.

On initial setup, everything was working fine, all sound, regardless weather it was coming from the Nvidea Shield, cable or one of the embedded Samsung apps, was coming from the speakers, connected to the Denon receiver.

When I go into the Settings > Sound > sound output it was set to external receiver

2-3 days after setup the TV no longer recognized my receiver. Now when I go to Settings > Sound > Sound output it is set to TV speakers and the external receiver option is gone.

Now cable and Nvidea Shield items are still coming from the Denon Receiver Speakers, but all sound from Samsung embedded apps are coming from the TV speakers.

For example, If I use the embedded Netflix App and play something, that item is coming from TV speakers, while what ever content I was playing is still coming from the speakers attached to the Denon Receiver. I have 2 audio streams happening in parallel.

My only option/workaround is to mute the receiver and use the TV speakers for that Netflix Content.

When I spoke to Samsung support, they said it’s a known software issue.

Any thoughts, ideas or support would be great.

19 REPLIES 19
Ginga_p
Troubleshooter
Options
http://amzn.to/2oqajxC kinda thing might help for your shield
G G
0 Likes
ryancharles
Student
Options

Last night the issue randomly resolved itself. Now the TV sees my receiver and is connected to it.

Settings > Sound > sound output > receiver (HDMI)

hopefully it will last.

0 Likes
hockeyfrank26
Apprentice
Options

Wow... did you restart your TV or do anything? I'm having the weird "my tv is auto-switching audio outputs" issue and I had to stop using eARC to make it work, which really sucks.  

0 Likes
DAS3
Journeyman
Options

Same issue.  Brand new Q90A having communication issues with Yamaha RX-A2A receiver.  My old Panasonic TV communicated fine, but as soon as I mounted the new Samsung, all kinds of communication problems, including this auto-switching to the TV speakers.  Also, whenever I play music on the receiver, the connections get completely screwed up and I have to unplug things and plug them back in for the TV to even recognize the receiver.  Would love to know if anyone's found solutions before I return the TV for another brand.

0 Likes
J251
First Poster
Options

Similar problem with brand new QN90A set up with a Denon. Keeps switching video and audio sources. Sometimes 2 sound sources at once. Think I have it fixed and stable then if I switch from DirecTv to Prime Video sound is still from DirecTv. If I turn the TV off the HDMI connection source is lost. Etc, etc. The settings are not stable. Why would anyone use this TV for a home theater if it is so unreliable? 

0 Likes
SamDude
Journeyman
Options

I have similar issues with HDMI CEC

• If I switch the TV OFF, it turns OFF the Denon. (good)
  • If I turn the TV ON, the Denon remains in standby. (bad)
  • if I then manually turn the Denon ON (using its remote), the TV will switch the source to HDMI 4 Media Player (Chromecast Ultra)
  • If I then switch the Denon to CBL/Sat, the TV will switch it back to HDMI 4 Media Player (Chromecast Ultra).
  • If I then switch the Denon again to CBL/Sat, it now remains there.

This sequence happens every time I turn on the Samsung TV.

The Chromecast is the only thing the TV sees on it's AnyNet+ (HDMI CEC) List.

But it shouldn't be switching sources by itself when it wakes.

I also noticed:

• If the last TV source is "TV" and it turns on, it also turns ON the Denon as expected. (Every time)
  • If the last TV source is set to PC, it does not turn ON the Denon when it wakes. I also noticed that when the TV wakes (with the Denon is OFF), it has switched audio setting from "Receiver (HDMI-eARC)" to "TV Speaker". Then, If I manually select "Receiver HDMI" in audio settings, the Denon turns ON.

So in conclusion, If the TV would wake with Receiver (HDMI-eARC) still enabled in Audio settings, it would wake the Denon.

0 Likes
JimWalker
Apprentice
Options

I just purchased a Denon S660H and a Samsung QN90A. The behavior you describe is exactly the same for me including the workaround of setting the source to TV before turning everything off with the Samsung remote via HDMI eARC CEC. 

I tried various other combinations of settings on the Denon and the QN90A with no success. This is obviously a software defect when the setting won't stick. Currently for the HDMI eARC setting on the TV, there is only OFF and AUTO. I'm thinking there should be an "ON" setting to force it to always stay in that mode. 

Regardless, the good news is this can be easily fixed with a software update. The bad news is when and if Samsung developers get to it. Do they monitor these forums, or do we need to submit a ticket? 

0 Likes
SamDude
Journeyman
Options

I suspect this may also be related to the input signal plus being turned on HDMI port. I was planning to turn it off this weekend and test.

0 Likes
JimWalker
Apprentice
Options

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Samsung support Saturday. I tried to get them to submit a ticket, but they wouldn't do it until we went through the troubleshooting checklist. Nothing worked so they eventually submitted a ticket at the end of the session. I'm supposed to get a response within two days. If my issue gets resolved, I'll post the fix here.

Of note is that I learned a bit more about what's happening under the covers when you setup the universal remote/HDMI CEC for a device on the TV. It talks to the device to get the model number and if it doesn't find it, it starts guessing. Every guess worked (it tries four times and then asks you to pick a model number).  When I say worked, it would either turn on or turn off the Denon S660H. However the behavior associated with turning it back on after shutting down never changed. 

Also, I figured out that I can just say no every time when it asks you if the device responded. That way you can get to the prompt where it lets you pick the model number. I discovered that my model number (S660H) was not listed. I suspect that this may be the problem, but when I told support about it they made no comment. 

After learning about this list, I tried several model numbers that were close to mine, but not the same. No luck, so I'm still using the work around. It works quite well. When I'm ready to turn everything off, I press the TV button on the Samsung remote. Then the power to shut everything off. When both the Denon and TV power back on together the next time, I press the home button on my Roku source and the Denon takes back over for the video source. I can live with that for now.