Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer not working on my Smart TV

(Topic created on: 21-11-2017 06:08 PM)
Umborne
Apprentice
Options

Has anyone yet found a solution to the problem of iPlayer not working on a Smart TV? It stopped working on my UE32ES5500 back in June and I've tried everything that the BBC and Samsung have suggested, all to no avail. All other Apps, including ITV Hub and All 4 work fine

13 REPLIES 13
AntS
Options

Hi @Umborne. :robothappy:

Can you give us some more info? E.g. do you get any error messages when you try to use the iPlayer? What's the current software version on your TV? And what suggestions have BBC and Samsung Support already advised you?

0 Likes
Umborne
Apprentice
Options

When I try to open iPlayer I just get a black screen. Up until about a month ago it would just revert to the channel I was watching, but there was then an upgrade to the iPlayer and since then it has been a black screen.

Samsung has suggested I update the firmware but there have been no updates for this model. Both BBC and Samsung suggest a reset to factory settings, but that also has no effect. I've tried reinstalling the Smarthub and iPlayer, all to no effect. I can't see what else I can do. All other apps work OK and iPlayer also worked OK up to some time in June.

bwdoctor
Student
Options

I have a PN51E550D1FXZA version TD03, and used to watch video on BBC and Euronews. All of a sudden one Smarthub update,  the apps would run, but then the videos stopped playing. Videos play under other apps - like TED Talks. The symptom for me is that the loading circle would spin a while, then stop after 30 seconds or so and for BBC, say "Something went wrong loading this programme" 02001, which I suspect is a super generic message. 

I have also reset smarthub, and deleted and reloaded the apps. Same result. Ideas?

-Dave

0 Likes
bwdoctor
Student
Options

Apparently, BBC (and likely euronews) stopped supporting an old version of the player for many 2010-2015 smartTV models. While mine is not specifically listed, it is in the range. Lovely support. Since I wont be changing my TV soon, I guess I will stop being a BBC viewer since the videos never come up online well either.

I found this note on another posting:

"Official statement on this is:

"The Samsung Smart TV platform is used by Content Providers to make apps available and providers may remove apps from the platform or stop supporting them at any time. As of 17/10/2017, BBC TV applications will no longer work with Samsung Smart TV, Blu-Ray & Home Theatre models from 2010 and 2011. Users are encouraged to access https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/how-to-guides/getting-started/Samsung to find support on how to access BBC TV applications using alternative methods. In addition, users can access BBC Applications on current Samsung Smart Blu-Ray players, a number of streaming sticks and set top boxes as a way to access BBC TV applications. All other Samsung Smart TV models remain unaffected.""

0 Likes
Umborne
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the info but my Smart TV is a 2012 model and is specifically listed as a "supported device". However, I suspect they have withdrawn support for these as well and just haven't got around to updating their list. Brilliant! Like you I won't be buying another TV anytime soon so will have to find other means if I want to view  catch-up TV

0 Likes
TK999
Student
Options

Hi, I was having this issue of iPlayer refusing to load on my 2016 UE48JU6400 - it was just hanging on the 'iPlayer loading' screen. Tried all the usual things - unplug and cycle TV on/off, check latest firmware, delete and reinstate individual apps, reset smarthub, reset entire TV, etc. Nothing worked, so I called Samsung. They remote-accessed into my TV and pulled up a service menu that I hadn't come across before (must be via some special combination of commands). From there, they were able to completely remove all the apps, then reinstall them from scratch (rather than just deleting the pointer and reinstating it, which is all you can do through the normal menu). This process fixed iPlayer on my TV, so I can only assume the app had somehow become corrupted (possibly from a recent broadband outage we'd had) and needed a complete reinstall. Anyway, everything working perfectly now, so many thanks to Samsung remote support!

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@TK999 wrote:

Hi, I was having this issue of iPlayer refusing to load on my 2016 UE48JU6400 - it was just hanging on the 'iPlayer loading' screen. Tried all the usual things - unplug and cycle TV on/off, check latest firmware, delete and reinstate individual apps, reset smarthub, reset entire TV, etc. Nothing worked, so I called Samsung. They remote-accessed into my TV and pulled up a service menu that I hadn't come across before (must be via some special combination of commands). From there, they were able to completely remove all the apps, then reinstall them from scratch (rather than just deleting the pointer and reinstating it, which is all you can do through the normal menu). This process fixed iPlayer on my TV, so I can only assume the app had somehow become corrupted (possibly from a recent broadband outage we'd had) and needed a complete reinstall. Anyway, everything working perfetly now, so many thnaks to Samsung remote support!

Hi @TK999, realise you had a bit of a frustrating experience with Iplayer however glad it is now sorted, in your case  a very positive experience with samsung Support!

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
AMQ
First Poster
Options

Hi, I have exactly the same issue with my UE55JU7500. BBC Iplayer just hangs on loading page. Have done a smart hub reset, software update and also a self diagnosis reset. None of these have resolved the problem.  Can anyone help? 

0 Likes
Dazzle
Apprentice
Options

Phone the Samsung support number and have them fix it over Remote Support.  Worked for me, same symptoms, took 5 minutes.