Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Curry's got my letter of intent.

Dear Mr. Kilborn,

Thank you for your letter regarding the problem with your T.V.
Whilst I understand and empathise with your situation, due to the lack of a legal team at store level I am unable to assist you regarding a case of miss selling. I would always refer a customer to our customer service team (which I can see that you have done so already) where a qualified legal team can help you with your enquiry.

Kind regards
Mike

::DISCLAIMER::

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

I have had a reply from Samsung Support over Curry's Smart Connect dongle

This is to acknowledge that we have received your response to our e-mail about your unit. With regards to the Smart Connect dongle, the link that you provided has been provided by Currys and was not directly authorised by Samsung. Please feel free to contact them so that they can provide the most accurate information about the said offer.

If you feel that you had been missold or misled with your purchase, we recommend seeking for assistance with the retailer where the TV was purchased so that they can give the best options for you.

If you require additional support, you can find How-To videos, answers to your questions and other useful information about Samsung products on our Support website www.samsung.com/uk/support or you may contact us at 0330-726-7864 within 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Monday to Saturday.

Kind regards,

Shieryl M

Customer Service Representative

Seems like they are trying to pass the book, and blame the retailers for making false staements even though this Youtube link shows Samsung at the 2016 CES advertising it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJRHrQio6_8

They must be worried when they start blaming thier own retailers

To: Samsung Support <seuk.contactus@partner.samsung.com>
I also showed you a youtube link from Samsung 2016 CES presentation which is absolututly clear that you would give every 2016 owner a free smart connect USB dongle!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJRHrQio6_8
Here is my reply back to Samsung Support.

You say your retailers were not authorised to advertise the dongle, do you also say that your CEO was also not authorised?
So where did the retailers get their information from? That does not matter under UK law as you seem to be blaming the retailers for giving incorrect information it still 
 is clear misrepresentation, and I think Citizens Advice and Trading Standards also agree. I don't think you retailers will be very impressed with you response.
What about this promise of an HDR10+ software update for 2016 models?
https://news.samsung.com/global/how-hdr10-creates-like-real-images
Are you also saying that Samsung were not authorised to make that claim also, and before you answer just remember it's all evidence as to your blatant disregard of European Consumer laws and the 1974 Consumer Credit Act..
The HLG fiasco just shows your contempt to your customers, and why did you not inform the public that you would not support BBC Iplayer broadcasts in your older models?
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#HKmkBd0MMSTZvqxK.99
This was Dec 2017 and still no mention of not supporting BBC Iplayer!!!!!
It seems that even Martin Daws are not happy as I am not the only customer they are waiting for information from you tech department. 
Not happy
Paul

Under the law it is the retailer that is responsible, manufacturer can only provide repairs/replacement, both Currys and JL did advertise and they are the ones liable under section 11 of the Consumer rights act 2015, also note that there is no statute of limitation on miss-selling, time duration is only about proving if fault was inherent or developed over time (6-month window)

Please quote relevant sections of the law and ask retailer to make a choice if they want to settle amicably or want to spend many times over in court, you can also add claim for inconvenience and lost time 

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

I have already posted my letter of intent however if Curry's still play hard ball I will just send the responses from Trading Standards (if I get one) and the one from citizens advice.

Updated the other threads and I believe Curry's are fully aware of the law but play on customers believing what they state without them doing further research.

That is also what Citizens Advice told me on the phone. 

Unlike the retailers they seem to agree you have reason to take this further and they confirm that there is no time limit for misrepresentation, unlike with faulty goods. They even advice you on your options. I know that the retailers do know the law and I think their response so far is to give them time. I now think it may be a good idea to use the three issues of mid selling (hlg, hdr10+, smart connect) when reporting to Citizens Advice as Samsung may be able to talk out of one issue but not three, and I think it would give more clout with your argument, and make a better case of misrepresentation for trading standards to investigate. 

For everyone I suggest using that Citizens Advice reply as part of you argument. Also the actual paragraphs to use were also posted which may help.

Good luck

Paul

yes this is best way forward, focus your attention on retailers and they will sort out Samsung, no need to divert your energies 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

That was very quick you only sent it yesterday. Again time wasting but email your letter of intent to head office with the Citzens Advice response. Like I said they will deny untill either shamed or forced. Again though they did not deny miss selling. Did you also include you would be claiming costs as well? How did you pay for the TV?

Sorry about Martin Daws, my mistake.

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Mr. Kilborn,

Whilst I understand and empathise with your situation, due to the lack of a legal team at store level I am unable to assist you regarding a case of miss selling. I would always refer a customer to our customer service team (which I can see that you have done so already) where a qualified legal team can help you with your enquiry.

Kind regards
Mike

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Curry's Northampton have absolved all responsibility due to having no legal department!.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

That was very quick you only sent it yesterday. Again time wasting but email your letter of intent to head office with the Citzens Advice response. Like I said they will deny untill either shamed or forced. Again though they did not deny miss selling. Did you also include you would be claiming costs as well? How did you pay for the TV?

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Mr. Kilborn,

Kind regards
Mike

I am putting everything together to send proof off to curry's head office but first I am waiting to hear back from curry's knowhow team now that I have supplied more evidence and also told them I am more than willing to take this all the way to the small claims court.

If this is still their final say on the matter I will post everything to curry's legal department and then see what response I get back.

0 Likes
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Also not going to charge for my time as it's actually quite good fun doing this and it may look poorly on me for trying to make even more money from curry's if it does go to the small claims court.

0 Likes
Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

@richardg wrote:

@Sam-Knp wrote:

Just received a response from Samsung uk on Twitter

“We have enabled all 2016 UHD TV with UHD HDR HLG for Broadcast Services as promised. It must be noted this does not include IHD HDR HLG Content delivered via the BBC i-Player Application as this is not a Broadcast Service.” 

As I have said many times before, ask them how 2017 TV’s can now access this non-broadcast Service and why the same solution has not been applied to earlier TV models.

Just received :- my question to samsung "how can 2017 TVs can now access this so called "non broadcast"  service while earlier models can't 

to this samsung replied "we dont have any further updates on this at the moment" - very diplomatic reply indeed!!!

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Curry's Northampton have absolved all responsibility due to having no legal department!.

I think that goes against the Oct 2015 regs and can not absolve responsibility, and it is up to the retailer to check the law. You have done what the regs say and the retailer has failed to respond with a reasonable response. I would now in form your credit card company, and Citizens Advice for further advice. The good thing is they have not denied miss selling and I don't think they have an answer. Just keep the pressure up. I have contacted Curry's. Richer Sounds, and J Lewis with the full history of what this is all about, and it now seems clear that Samsung are blaming the retailers for giving unauthorised information. I don't think they will like that. 

Paul

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Dear Mr. Kilborn,

Kind regards
Mike

I am putting everything together to send proof off to curry's head office but first I am waiting to hear back from curry's knowhow team now that I have supplied more evidence and also told them I am more than willing to take this all the way to the small claims court.

If this is still their final say on the matter I will post everything to curry's legal department and then see what response I get back.

just ask knowhow team to send you everything in writing and tell advisor that you are going to treat that reponse as an exhibit in the claims court

0 Likes