Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
SHIVERME
Journeyman
Options

Thank you for replying, but my understanding is an update meant that HLG can be played through HDMI as has been previously discussed at length.

My question is about which would be the best quality, The Apple TV, Sky Q or inbuilt apps.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@SHIVERME  The link explaining  this was a little while ago but I am pretty sure this has not changed.   The update did not  enable HLG via HDMI  for 2016 models.  The reason I mentioned this was because  SkyQ  HLG  will become a bigger factor but not some older models will not be able to take advantage of it.   Following quote was from Community Lead @AntS 

“All of Samsung’s 2016 HDR TVs support HLG Broadcast technology (firmware update required). BBC UHD i-Player, however, relies on a mixture of technologies, not just HLG, to enable its streaming of UHD content.  Samsung have no plans to support BBC UHD  i-Player on its 2016 UHD TV Range.”

Additionally, from our engineers:

"2016 SUHD TV’s support UHD HDR HLG via Broadcast, Satellite & Terrestrial and from USB. They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG."

For JS Series TV's, I can confirm:

“Samsung’s 2015 SUHD TV’s cannot support HLG.”

Fully appreciate that the iPlayer and JS Series news isn't what people wanted to hear. But hopefully, the above also brings a bit of clarity for all as to how HLG can be delivered on a KS TV."

I think services via HDMI tend to be better quality,  I find SkyQ quality for most content to be impressive, Apple Tv generally has good reviews but do not have experience of it.     Other members may have input.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
SHIVERME
Journeyman
Options

Either way, Netflix and Disney+ both play in HDR on my TV via Sky Q, as does the native Sky HDR content, as evidenced by the brightness going up to 20. Either Sky isn’t using HLG or the  KS set plays HLG via HDMI, my understanding is that update 1139 introduced HLG via HDMI.

SHIVERME
Journeyman
Options

From Ant:

Hi guys.  

Looks like the news is already out there, but for those needing a more official confirmation of things:

HLG via HDMI port support for UK 2016 UHDKS and KU models is in firmware version 1239.1 for those models.

(KS Models: T-JZMDEUC-1239.1; KU Models: T-JZL6DEUC-1239.1; to give their full versions.)

That firmware is planned for definite release on our website and OTN - but no timescale for that at this time.

Also, confirmation that this doesn’t have any effect for the native BBC iPlayer app on those models.

As support etc. is localised, I’m unable to speak for what’s going on in other countries or regions. If you’re non-UK or Ireland, the best thing to do is to get in touch with your local Support for further advice and info.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Apologies, I did not have the latest information.    Anyway glad  KS and KU owners  either can or will be able to enjoy HLG via HDMI. 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
SHIVERME
Journeyman
Options

Back to my initial question, does anyone know which would be the best quality HDR, The Apple TV, Sky Q or inbuilt apps?

0 Likes
Superblade7
Student
Options

Hi everyone, tried to read through the many pages of this thread but can’t find the answer.  I have a 2016 KU6400 model TV and am trying to get a definitive answer on whether or not it supports HLG HDR?  Just need to find out to decide whether or not to upgrade my Sky Q box to the HDR version.  Thanks

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Superblade7  Yes, the recent information we have which was confirmed  by Moderator @AntS   is that HLG via HDMI port  is supported for UK 2016 UHD KS and KU models  in firmware version 1239.1.   Therefore your  KU6400 model would be included should you wish to upgrade your Sky Box.     BBCiplayer HLG  via the app though is still not supported.

Superblade7
Student
Options

Thank you James4578, that’s great. 👍🏻

SuJo47
Journeyman
Options
Samsung really should release a firmware for the JS9000 and JS9500 to enable HLG on the HDMI ports.
It should be possible as the set supports HDR10
0 Likes