Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
HarryH
Apprentice
Options

@Onpoint wrote:

The guy on the Italian digital-forum.it seems to be saying that the update is ready from I think Sky's side of things but still awaiting release from Samsung from what I can make out. I'm not clear on whether this is a update to the Sky box or the TV firmware though, as he seems to be from Sky's end...

Hopefully it's the TV firmware in which case it should work for other inputs. If it's from Sky's end then there will need to be a will from the companies providing the input to create updates

A class action law suit from all KS owners under the consumer rights act 2015 will hopefully be enough motivation for them.  

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Onpoint wrote:

The guy on the Italian digital-forum.it seems to be saying that the update is ready from I think Sky's side of things but still awaiting release from Samsung from what I can make out. I'm not clear on whether this is a update to the Sky box or the TV firmware though, as he seems to be from Sky's end...

Hopefully it's the TV firmware in which case it should work for other inputs. If it's from Sky's end then there will need to be a will from the companies providing the input to create updates

The guy on the Italian if its the same one who said hlg  works over HDMI says a lot of things that don't happen. 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@HarryH wrote:

@Onpoint wrote:

A class action law suit from all KS owners under the consumer rights act 2015 will hopefully be enough motivation for them.  

That's what the ks  owners refund thread is all about. 

0 Likes
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Onpoint wrote:

The guy on the Italian if its the same one who said hlg  works over HDMI says a lot of things that don't happen. 

Different guy I think, seems to run that forum, has been talking from an 'insider' point of view on the update over the last couple of months (I check now and again) but I do think it may be a Sky Q update and whether that's for the Italian version only I don't know... He said yesterday he's "pushing to get out the update, at least for the forum users :winking-face:" which doesn't fill me with hope of it being a Samsung update. Maybe some of it is getting lost in google translate though...

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Onpoint wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@Onpoint wrote:

Different guy I think, seems to run that forum, has been talking from an 'insider' point of view on the update over the last couple of months (I check now and again) but I do think it may be a Sky Q update and whether that's for the Italian version only I don't know... He said yesterday he's "pushing to get out the update, at least for the forum users :winking-face:" which doesn't fill me with hope of it being a Samsung update. Maybe some of it is getting lost in google translate though...

Its a firmware update for the TV , it has been developed locally whilst in communication with sky. Unfortunatley any firmware rollouts have to be authorised via korea. Firmware had been tested and was apparantly succesfull. It had been forwarded to Samsung HQ in Korea and its down to them now to get it released.

Thats my take on the thread, the fella could of course be blowing smoke up peoples backsides, hopefully we will find out soon enough

cheers

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@Onpoint wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@Onpoint wrote:

Its a firmware update for the TV , it has been developed locally whilst in communication with sky. Unfortunatley any firmware rollouts have to be authorised via korea. Firmware had been tested and was apparantly succesfull. It had been forwarded to Samsung HQ in Korea and its down to them now to get it released.

Thats my take on the thread, the fella could of course be blowing smoke up peoples backsides, hopefully we will find out soon enough

cheers

It's odd really how we seem to get these so called brill news from our Italian friends and then nothing or oops wrong. I find it hard to believe anything they say and tend to only believe what's the moderators here tell us as actually being from Samsung.  Must admit we have not had a lot of good news but it has been correct.  News from other sources I believe are just misinformation,  and sometimes insult our intelligence. 

0 Likes
Dazeboy
Explorer
Options

Screenshot_20181114-165455.png

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Dazeboy wrote:

Screenshot_20181114-165455.png

nope thats a different firmware, I think its only available in the USA atm and doesnt have any HLG fix

cheers

0 Likes
Dazeboy
Explorer
Options
November 1st 2018 so very interesting

You never know fingers crossed 🙈
0 Likes
Dazeboy
Explorer
Options
Yeah this was a screen shot of the US site