Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
amokuk
Voyager
Options

I have mailed arstechnica about this, I hope they pick it up. Any other sites we can try and mobilse to get this sorted out?

Dazeboy
Explorer
Options

Hi first post but have been following this thread for a while as I'm one of those sad and forgotten ks8000 owners that have had my TV for 10 months not sure how long in Samsung years maybe they could tell me but the way this situation has been handled is appalling tbh .. Why didn't I buy the LG oled is what is ringing in my ears lol please just support the TV like you should because this doesn't feel legal and may result in a letter getting sent to citizens Advice ect or I could send 10p in an envelope to pay the royalties just a thought keep up the fight guys 

crashcris
Voyager
Options

When you do, please be kind enough to mention the 2014 and 2015 sets as well as the 2016 sets.

Samsung need to support their products beyond 1 year, preferably for the life span of their products.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Perhaps we should point both the Samsung and the BBC to this little thing called the Trades Description Act, which in the UK gives the consumer a lot of protection - Samsung could be actionable under this legislation as not 'fit for purpose':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/design/resistantmaterials/designsocialrev10.shtml

And the 2015 update:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

"The Trade Descriptions Act makes it an offence for a trader to make false or misleading statements about goods or services. It carries criminal penalties and is enforced by Trading Standards Officers"

The irony.

AntS
Options

Hi @crashcris.

@crashcris wrote:

@AntS.. Hi, It's good to see that you're still keeping an eye on this thread and I certainly will try to encourage fellow 2015/16 owners of Samsung TVs to join this group.

No worries. And thanks - much appreciated!

Regarding your questions, I understand that in the absence of concrete details, speculation (wild or otherwise) will rule. However, the Community Team's hands are tied on this matter, so as much I'd like to answer the specific questions you and others have raised, me and the rest of the team are unable to go beyond the official statements we've been given in this instance. But any changes on the situation we can share with you all, we will.

ChuckEbby
First Poster
Options
I am another owner of a 2016 Samsung KS TV and I think Samsung should be ashamed of themselves if they are going back on their promise to support 2016 and 2015 models, just because they won't make a small payment. If I was going to buy a new TV every year, I have more than one manufacturer to choose from and companies that break promises to customers tend not to make it to the top of my list.
crashcris
Voyager
Options

The obvious people to contact and encourage to find answers and effect a change is the BBC programme "Watchdog". If enough people queried the Samsung statement

"We have no plans at this time to enable the UHD Version of BBC i-Player on 2014, 2015 & 2016 UHD TV or UHD BD Players.”

perhaps we might get a greater audience.

I've contacted them through the website. Google " bbc send your story to watchdog ".

CaptnSpaulding
Navigator
Options

Also reported to BBC's Watchdog.

Hopefully they will receive enough reports to run a story on this and contact Samsung for us.

If I don't hear anything back from them, my next step is Trading Standards as I'm not happy with my purchase and want a full refund. 

imc
Student
Options

Ks7000 owner *****.. purchased in February.

Been very happy with the set so far but this situation certainly leaves a sour taste.

I can understand us not being updated for the trial, any work done would naturally be for the latest sets. But if it becomes the case that 2016 models will never be able to view HLG content then I for one will never purchase Samsung equipment ever again. 

Kallb123
Explorer
Options

It's very disappointing that HLG streaming hasn't happened on my 2016 KS7000. The HLG "promise" being purely for broadcasting is very disappointing and if streaming is actually is excluded then I'll know to avoid Samsung products in future.