Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Lenny333
Journeyman
Options

Hi All,

Just updated to 1239 thanks to @blenky and got a Roku+ thanks to Amazon cyber Monday and I’ve done a back to back on the Lion Dynasties on iPlayer between Sky Q in HD and on the Roku+ in HDR. 

The difference to to my eyes is absolutely night and day and when I paused on a particular scene and swapped sources to see the two versions immediately after each other, it’s like taking a gauze away from the screen and the brightness, contrast and detail is stunning. 

This is is the best thread for my TV (KS9000) and the best £50 I’ve spent in a long time. It’s a shame we’ve had to wait so long and battle for it but the picture in HDR is fantastic. 

Lets just hope that there’s lots more content appearing soon and Sky Q gets its act together and switches HDR on now these sets can get it over HDMI 😃😃😃

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Lenny333 wrote:

Just updated to 1239 thanks to @blenky and got a Roku+ thanks to Amazon cyber Monday and I’ve done a back to back on the Lion Dynasties on iPlayer between Sky Q in HD and on the Roku+ in HDR. 

The difference to to my eyes is absolutely night and day and when I paused on a particular scene and swapped sources to see the two versions immediately after each other, it’s like taking a gauze away from the screen and the brightness, contrast and detail is stunning. 

This is is the best thread for my TV (KS9000) and the best £50 I’ve spent in a long time. It’s a shame we’ve had to wait so long and battle for it but the picture in HDR is fantastic. 

Lets just hope that there’s lots more content appearing soon and Sky Q gets its act together and switches HDR on now these sets can get it over HDMI 😃😃😃

Great stuff! However, hoping for Sky to get its act together you may be in for a wait. They enabled Sky Q Italy last March (9 months ago). They are dragging their feet for UK HDR.

And don't forget that Sky charges an extra £144 every year JUST to get 4k resolution outputted from the HDMI socket on the STB; if you do not cough up this ransom it is slugged so that it only outputs 1080p.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@rafciass wrote:

I can 20181130_153732.jpg20181130_153835.jpg20181130_154813.jpg

Received usb today. I can confirm HDR appeared after updating to 1239. Iplayer on Fire Stick 4K (KS7000).

Great pictures, thanks for posting.

Very impressed that the goalie got changed from red to green in super-quick time between the two pics :winking-face:

0 Likes
shimceltic
Pioneer
Options

Sky will probably wait till the start of the next football season to sell more q box's rather than give it us when ready. 

They only give us 4k on EPL matched when bt show all their football in 4k which is a joke 

0 Likes
tigernike1
First Poster
Options

hi all,

thanks for all the interesting comments,please could someone offer some on the following,i have the ue65ks9500 and i was wondering this,i understand the 1239 firmware for hlg over hdmi cable,but i have been watching Dyanasties and Blue Planet on the bbc iplayer on the tv built-in app,picture looks very good,but how can i tell if i am watching it in hd/4k or hdr/hlg? when i press the info button on the tv remote it does not give me that information,where as when you members have been watching the same programme with a Roku+ stick using a hdmi connection when you press the tv info button it shows on the screen HDR/HLG my internet is hard wired and at 200meg speed,hope i am making my self clear?

thanks paul

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tigernike1 wrote:

hi all,

thanks for all the interesting comments,please could someone offer some on the following,i have the ue65ks9500 and i was wondering this,i understand the 1239 firmware for hlg over hdmi cable,but i have been watching Dyanasties and Blue Planet on the bbc iplayer on the tv built-in app,picture looks very good,but how can i tell if i am watching it in hd/4k or hdr/hlg? when i press the info button on the tv remote it does not give me that information,where as when you members have been watching the same programme with a Roku+ stick using a hdmi connection when you press the tv info button it shows on the screen HDR/HLG my internet is hard wired and at 200meg speed,hope i am making my self clear?

thanks paul

You can not get 4k and HLG from the TV iPlayer app.  That is where Samsung let their customers down.  Also you can not get HDR 10+ or the so called free smart things dongle which was promised.  So if you want to watch iPlayer in 4 k and high you have to buy another device,  ie the Roku.  

Or you can look on the ks owners refunds and get a telly that does as advertised. 

Paul

0 Likes
rafciass
Apprentice
Options

I didn't even notice that. You can see what difference HDR makes :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

0 Likes
rafciass
Apprentice
Options
I think @tigernike1 wants to know how to check info of the actuale footage from the built-in player.
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@rafciass wrote:
@I think @tigernike1 wants to know how to check info of the actuale footage from the built-in player.

I know what he/ she is asking and I replied that you can not get 4k hlg  on the built-in iPlayer app on any KS TV. Just like you can not get HDR10+,  or the so called free USB dongle to enable the TV to be the center of the internet of Things. 

Paul

0 Likes
tigernike1
First Poster
Options

Thank you Paul very much for your fast reply,looks like i am buying a Roku+ stick,you have got me thinking now,am i correct in thinking that netflix amazon youtube etc apps on the tv show 4k hdr/hlg content correctly?

thanks paul

0 Likes