Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 30-11-2018 02:27 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
edindundee
Pioneer
Options

USB arrived this morning, updated the software, there is now no difference in picture quality (to my eyes) between the Virgin V6 box iPlayer Dynasties and the Roku SS+ iPlayer.

Anyone want to buy a little-used Roku? :winking-face:

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

Also the HDR10+ talk should stop, the set is incapable of supporting the Wildvine API's HDR10+ needs. We all know this, it's not a new discussion.

Agreed. I think it's human nature "I've got this, right, what else can I have" !

0 Likes
bp76
Journeyman
Options

Hi CarlH,

Can you advise how I can request the new firmware on USB? I'm in the UK. Thanks

@CarlH wrote:

Hi all. I don't want to be 'that guy' but please do not disclose any information that includes firmware pathnames, codes or any other details from third party updates as we cannot guarantee the functionality between the update and your TV. Furthermore, we can arrange for USB sticks to be sent to you all with the update on. Even though you've been obtaining the Italian version, we recommend using the UK one we have in case there are any minor discrepancies that could affect any channels or apps.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@Xrpninja wrote:

Firestick is not listed as a supported device on iPlayer site. Are you sure it’s using HLG? 

Firestick 4k is working correctly. Delivers the same quality of picture I saw on an LG back in the summer.

Colours no longer look washed out. Also confirm Dynasties looks great.

That hopefully confirms that the firmware also fixes the HLG EOTF curve.

0 Likes
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @bp76.

The easiest and quickest way of getting hold of the USB update, is to give our Support Team a call directly on

0330 726 7864.

Hope this helps.

rafciass
Apprentice
Options

I can 20181130_153732.jpg20181130_153835.jpg20181130_154813.jpg

Received usb today. I can confirm HDR appeared after updating to 1239. Iplayer on Fire Stick 4K (KS7000).

ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

Sorry for slightly off topic. Any views of whether best going with Roku SS + or Amazon 4k stick. Was tossing up between the two 

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@ewanstancarr wrote:

Sorry for slightly off topic. Any views of whether best going with Roku SS + or Amazon 4k stick. Was tossing up between the two 

The Firestick supports more HDR flavours, however doesn't have a native YouTube app and as most devices does not stream Dolby Atmos from Netflix.  You get voice control and it integrates with Alexa.  Its obviously tightly integrated into the Amazon eco system whereas the Roku is independent

Apart from that I don't think there is a lot in it

PM06
Journeyman
Options

Hi BlenkY have you noticed that hlg iPlayer on Virgin v6 does not always engage hdr when playing not sure why this seems to happen roku stick on new firmware v9 is fine since 1239 tv upgrade.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@PM06 wrote:

Hi BlenkY have you noticed that hlg iPlayer on Virgin v6 does not always engage hdr when playing not sure why this seems to happen roku stick on new firmware v9 is fine since 1239 tv upgrade.

Not seen that.  HDR engages everytime on V6 and Roku+

0 Likes