Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 27-11-2018 11:19 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@Chris325 wrote:

I just noted on the Samsung support there is a firmware update to 1231.1 for my KS9000. Does this do the same thing as the USB so I don't need to contact the Italian support? AntS we do need some help here! 

I think that's the update that the americans got earlier in the month, people reported an upgrade in image quality and performance of the UI but I don't think it contained the HLG fix.

I remember seeing 1239 mentioned on the italian forum for the HLG fix firmware? 

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Hi - Yes this is wonderful news! - thanks to all at Sky Italia for their hard work.

Just a quick question while I wait for SKY - will I notice any difference using my Roku+ as I have no other device with which to test this?

Dazeboy
Explorer
Options

Ordered mines very painless 

Thanks 

0 Likes
Dazeboy
Explorer
Options

Screenshot_20181127-103918.png

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Not quite sure I'm having the same 'painless' experience with live chat as some of you.

Seems a bit like pulling teeth...

If someone would be kind enough to give me a drive link in the meantime, it would save whatever hair I have left.

0 Likes
Chris325
Explorer
Options

I called Samsung support and the ordering over the phone for the USB took about 5 minutes. The chap I spoke to didn't initially know anything about it, but he went away and checked and came back and completed the order. He said it should take 5 to 7 business days for the USB stick to arrive at home. This has 1239.1 on the stick. The number I called was 03307267864. You just have 2 or 3 option menus to go through and then you are speaking to a live person. Good Luck!

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi guys.  

Looks like the news is already out there, but for those needing a more official confirmation of things:

HLG via HDMI port support for UK 2016 UHD KS and KU models is in firmware version 1239.1 for those models.

(KS Models: T-JZMDEUC-1239.1; KU Models: T-JZL6DEUC-1239.1; to give their full versions.)

That firmware is planned for definite release on our website and OTN - but no timescale for that at this time.

Also, confirmation that this doesn’t have any effect for the native BBC iPlayer app on those models.

As support etc. is localised, I’m unable to speak for what’s going on in other countries or regions. If you’re non-UK or Ireland, the best thing to do is to get in touch with your local Support for further advice and info.

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Thanks ant and to Samsung for fixing this issue

Can you confirm if it also fixes the colour issue as well

Can we also ask that Samsung look at the no comment policy and keep us all updated with what is happening in the future as these leads to a lot of negative comments that could have been avoided

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Thanks Ant - we got there at least! :face-with-tears-of-joy: /jk

Also thanks to those people on here and the Sky Italia forum who were tireless in their efforts to get this issue bottomed out.

I hadn't watched 4k content in ages, but fired up 4K MI: Fallout last night, and boy does this set move when it wants to, there's life in her yet!

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi guys.  

Looks like the news is already out there, but for those needing a more official confirmation of things:

HLG via HDMI port support for UK 2016 UHD KS and KU models is in firmware version 1239.1 for those models.

(KS Models: T-JZMDEUC-1239.1; KU Models: T-JZL6DEUC-1239.1; to give their full versions.)

That firmware is planned for definite release on our website and OTN - but no timescale for that at this time.

Also, confirmation that this doesn’t have any effect for the native BBC iPlayer app on those models.

As support etc. is localised, I’m unable to speak for what’s going on in other countries or regions. If you’re non-UK or Ireland, the best thing to do is to get in touch with your local Support for further advice and info.

Thanks @AntS

0 Likes