Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 26-11-2018 07:39 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Come on folks please! Let's stay within the guidelines.

rozel
Voyager
Options

Interesting

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

Is ChrisM allowed to have 2 registrations at the same time?

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

Is ChrisM allowed to have 2 registrations at the same time?

That's a good idea 

0 Likes
shimceltic
Pioneer
Options

My TV flashed up that there is an update. I clicked it and within a second the screen refreshed. I don't think it did anything and I'm on software 1231

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@shimceltic wrote:

My TV flashed up that there is an update. I clicked it and within a second the screen refreshed. I don't think it did anything and I'm on software 1231

Brill,  anyone else? 

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

I forgot. The like on Paul1277's posts are puts by Paul1111. And Paul1277 puts likes to Paul1111. What are you saying?

Likes are not necessarily indicative of contributing to a discussion. I could say Samsung are awful to get 'likes' - especially at a time when people are upset over the iPlayer but that isn't a positive or useful contribution at all....

Anyway, I have no interest in getting into a discussion about this when it serves no purpose at all. I am only interested in getting my TV updated to work with ANY HLG enabled device, not just Roku+ or be forced to buy a HDFury. As the title of this thread is iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs it seems that iPlayer HLG/UHD on Samsung K series at least will be resolved - albeit from any external device that offers HLG/UHD iPlayer apps rather than the built in app as well as any other HLG source - not just iPlayer. For those with J series TV's, I wish you luck on getting a solution although I would expect that UHD iPlayer is not an issue.

My USB Update has been ordered and should be with me within a week...

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@BAMozzy wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

I forgot. The like on Paul1277's posts are puts by Paul1111. And Paul1277 puts likes to Paul1111. What are you saying?

Likes are not necessarily indicative of contributing to a discussion. I could say Samsung are awful to get 'likes' - especially at a time when people are upset over the iPlayer but that isn't a positive or useful contribution at all....

Anyway, I have no interest in getting into a discussion about this when it serves no purpose at all. I am only interested in getting my TV updated to work with ANY HLG enabled device, not just Roku+ or be forced to buy a HDFury. As the title of this thread is iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs it seems that iPlayer HLG/UHD on Samsung K series at least will be resolved - albeit from any external device that offers HLG/UHD iPlayer apps rather than the built in app as well as any other HLG source - not just iPlayer. For those with J series TV's, I wish you luck on getting a solution although I would expect that UHD iPlayer is not an issue.

My USB Update has been ordered and should be with me within a week...

I totally agree with you,  and we will never get the on board iplauer hlg to work but if true then it gives options. Thing is we have been told on numerous occasions that something was just around the corner and we still wait. So to be a little bit suspicious is I think not a bad thing. But yes if sorted then great and as I said this thread will be passed it usefulness.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Well this looks like the real deal.  Just ordered mine via live chat.

This is a much better solution than getting the internal iplayer fixed as now all connected devices will work.  

I would like to thank everyone on this and the italian board for pushing for this.  Shows what a concerted effort by like minded people can achieve!

Roll on HLG content!

Edit:  Interested to see how iPlayer HLG looks with this compared to what I'm seeing via the Roku+.  Hopefully it will have the correct gamma curve?!

BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@blenky wrote:
This is a much better solution than getting the internal iplayer fixed as now all connected devices will work.

I agree - although it would have been good to have the internal iPlayer working as that would negate the need to buy external devices. No doubt though that the external solution is more important as BBC may not be the ONLY source of HLG content - especially if/when Sky bring it to the UK!