Support

Open search

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

Highlighted
Pathfinder

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

...

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,827 REPLIES 4,827
Highlighted

From Digital Forum

"Comunicazione di servizio, chi vuole aggiornare i tv Samsung 2016 KU e KS con l'ultima versione sw che abilita l'HDR HLG via HDMI, da oggi deve chiamare il call center o rivolgersi direttamente ai CAT di zona

T-JZL6DEUC-1239.1 Per i KU 6000-6050-6100

T-JZMDEUC-1239.1 Per tutti i KS e per i KU 64x0-65x0-6670"

Saverio Casadidio
Highlighted

@paul1277 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:
Opinion. Unfortunately yours is an opinion. The others do not give an opinion but give certainties.
So what is your opinion counting? zero.

Some months back you said with certainty that you could get hlg over HDMI,  then you said you could not!  You then said there was a fix,  then there was not,  so yes anything you say I take with a pinch of salt.  

Do you represent Samsung?  If so fine as you must be in the know,  other wise how come you know more than the Samsung moderators here? 

Everyone is entitled to an opinion again we live in a free country,  do you? 

 


Blah blah blah

 

 

Saverio Casadidio
Highlighted

@Onpoint wrote:

If it helps this is what I initially said:

 

"I understand there is new firmware for the KS7000 tv's that will allow HDR/HLG via inputs, seems to have already been made available to some in Italy, how can I get a download? Thanks"

 

He went away, came back and said could provide a USB with the update and asked for the model number etc.

 

They were pretty slow to respond at times so stick with it, took 25 mins from start to finish but I was doing other things in between.


Just used Live chat myself and the representative was very helpful and knowledgeable. They were aware instantly of the update and after a few minor delays whilst they got information and processed my request for Update 1239.1, they assured me I would have an update within a week.

 

The time taken was 20 mins and as you said, all they needed was my postcode, first line of my address, tel number and S/N of my KS8000. I was told that the update could take up to 2 days before its dispatched.

 

It was great not having to argue about the existance of this update, not have to fight for it and just ask nicely for it...

Highlighted

@Onpoint wrote:

I will update when I receive it, assuming I do...


That would be great and fingers crossed. 

Highlighted

@paul1277 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:
Opinion. Unfortunately yours is an opinion. The others do not give an opinion but give certainties.
So what is your opinion counting? zero.

Some months back you said with certainty that you could get hlg over HDMI,  then you said you could not!  You then said there was a fix,  then there was not,  so yes anything you say I take with a pinch of salt.  

Do you represent Samsung?  If so fine as you must be in the know,  other wise how come you know more than the Samsung moderators here? 

Everyone is entitled to an opinion again we live in a free country,  do you? 

 


You also have to remember, English was not his first language. HLG has been available over HDMI for a LONG time - however that is with select products - like the Roku+ - or by adding ina line of code to the EDID manually to tell devices its connected to a HLG TV to send HLG over HDMI (basically whay the HD Fury does). HD Fury does NOT convert HLG to HDR10 or affect anything other than tell a device that it is connected to a HLG enabled TV so it sends HLG content over HDMI. Both of these proove that HLG can be passed over HDMI. The issue though has always been that most devices don't automatically send HLG (just SDR) if they do not receive the information via the EDID that the TV can actually play HLG content but that is a different issue. HLG can be sent, it just wasn't being sent. This update basically means that any HLG device will now send HLG content because they should know they are connected to a HLG enabled TV. Just because SkyQ (or many other devices) wouldn't send HLG never meant that HLG itself couldn't be sent over HDMI. You often twisted things to suit your argument and wasn't helped because of the language barrier. Saying SkyQ/satellite boxes doesn't work is not the same as saying HLG over HDMI doesn't work - as proved by Roku+ and HDFury.

 

As far as the Fix is concerned, they have constantly said that a Fix has been in the works for a long time, even reported that SkyItalia themselves had become involved and had tested Samsungs 'Beta' version of this update to see if it worked. Its perhaps taken a LOT longer than any of us expected - It was never going to be the end of March when the F1 started and its now the end of the F1 season but the proof is there - the Update is finally out. The fact that a 'Fix' is now available - not widespread, not on their website yet or OTA but available is also proof that they have been correct - even if the timescale hasn't been ideal.

 

The reason they may know more than the moderators on this is because they are in Italy where Sky have already enabled HLG on their boxes and perhaps have access to more local information - not just Samsung but SkyItalia too where as the moderators here may not. The Moderators here cannot comment on things happening around the world, make promises to us etc until they have 'concrete' information - assuming they are actually that far up the Samsung pipeline of information and not just 'moderators' to ensure the forums are kept respectable. I don't know whether they have the information given to them to help or would have to contact the same customer service representatives we do. Point is, being a moderator doesn't mean they are at the top of the information chain and maybe in the same position as the people that are on the other end of a phone-line.

 

You even argued that seeing Sky with HDR in the info banner wasn't HLG - yet Sky is ONLY offering the HLG format of HDR. Samsung TV's, even the newer models, do not differentiate between the multiple HDR formats. If it offered Dolby Vision, it would still say HDR in the info banner because HDR encompasses ALL High Dynamic Range formats. HDR10, DV, HLG HDR10+ are ALL HDR and it doesn't state HDR10, HLG or HDR+ when playing ANY of the supported formats - just HDR. You have even made inane comments like the device is converting HLG to HDR10 (not that any device can convert Hybrid Log Gamma to static metadata HDR10) - so you can understand why people have had enough.

 

Even when this update arrives, I can still see you getting angry, getting on your soapbox etc because its still not HLG via the inbuilt iPlayer app even though this will now enable any HLG enabled device with the HLG enabled iPlayer App to connect to the TV and play HLG via HDMI instead of only Roku+.

 

Highlighted

If it doesn't work as I have said great.  If does work then this thread will no longer be needed. 

As to my comments not being wanted,  I would like to pint you to the thumbs up and there are a lot of people here who do seem to like my opinions,  and again I will question and yes I am not an expert as you keep pointing out,  but does that mean I should not ask or question,  or is this forum just for the so called expert's? It is called a discussion forum not a teaching forum where you are the teacher and I am the student,  and must believe everything I am told. 

I have never said hlg is converted to hdr10,  I do know the hdr is the name for all forms,  and I do remember that we were told that certain person was receiving hlg over HDMI with a Satalite receiver which was not possible.  Some months later the same person then posted an art ICT saying you could not get hlg over HDMI,  so toe that is a bit confusing,  and yes it did prompt me question. My friend @paul1111 stopped posting due to the abuse he got,  which is wrong,  very wrong,  so let's not go down there again. Correct me if I have got something wrong,  but don't critics me as you are no better than me and unless a moderator you have no right to tell me what I can say or not,  so please get off your box. 

Highlighted

@paul1277 wrote:

If it doesn't work as I have said great.  If does work then this thread will no longer be needed. 

As to my comments not being wanted,  I would like to pint you to the thumbs up and there are a lot of people here who do seem to like my opinions,  and again I will question and yes I am not an expert as you keep pointing out,  but does that mean I should not ask or question,  or is this forum just for the so called expert's? It is called a discussion forum not a teaching forum where you are the teacher and I am the student,  and must believe everything I am told. 

I have never said hlg is converted to hdr10,  I do know the hdr is the name for all forms,  and I do remember that we were told that certain person was receiving hlg over HDMI with a Satalite receiver which was not possible.  Some months later the same person then posted an art ICT saying you could not get hlg over HDMI,  so toe that is a bit confusing,  and yes it did prompt me question. My friend @paul1111 stopped posting due to the abuse he got,  which is wrong,  very wrong,  so let's not go down there again. Correct me if I have got something wrong,  but don't critics me as you are no better than me and unless a moderator you have no right to tell me what I can say or not,  so please get off your box. 

 

And yes I have had a few beers! 


Highlighted

Finish it Paul1277 or Paul1111 that you are the same person.
You only blah blah blah You do not have the slightest technical expertise. You are not constructive. Nobody appreciates you but only tolerates you

Saverio Casadidio
Highlighted

@Saverio571 wrote:

Finish it Paul1277 or Paul1111 that you are the same person.
You only blah blah blah You do not have the slightest technical expertise. You are not constructive. Nobody appreciates you but only tolerates you

 

Thanks. 


Highlighted

I forgot. The like on Paul1277's posts are puts by Paul1111. And Paul1277 puts likes to Paul1111. What are you saying?

Saverio Casadidio
Top Liked Authors