Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 24-11-2018 01:12 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:
Has anyone with this new firmware actually tested some HLG calibration test content to measure whether the luminance response curve matches the correct HLG EOTF curve? If so, what was the maximum NITS measured on a 10% window at 100% luminence? On the old non-HLG firmware, the maximum was less than 500 NITS, so nowhere near the maximum luminance the TV is capable of.

Until someone does that, we have no idea if this test firmware completely fixes the HLG problem on KS TVs.

And here's the calibration chart I posted back in June demonstrating just how wrong the HLG EOTF curve is on the current firmware. If someone with the new test firmware can perform the same tests, that will prove that HLG is genuinely fixed beyond just the EDID fix.

1.jpg

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@SmartHUBtv wrote:

You're wrong and told by the administrator that only serves for Italian and not foreign as they are writing from all over Europe. this version enables the HLG HDR

But your picture proves nothing as we know the TV can receive HDR over HDMI. It does not show HLG. 

Are not the TV's the same in Europe or did Samsung make a different TV for each country in Europe? 

That's SkyQ's crappy software. Sky are using the UMBRELLA TERM "HDR" to mean "HDR10 or HLG", JUST like Samsung does in its own onscreen prompts.

SkyQ's interface will never use the specific term "HLG" so you are demanding a screenshot that will never exist.

I wish Samsung and Sky would explicitly state "HLG" or "HDR10" because I am a technical person, but neither of them do on any screen, so it would be wrong of me to demand proof that can never be supplied.

The picture clearly shows that the SkyQ box detected the TV as "supporting HDR" when it did not before : this means, since we know the TV's EDID wasn't advertising "I support HLG" before, that the TV's EDID is advertising "I support HLG" with that new firmware (which will definitely work on every European chassis since they are all identical: all Euro firmwares have been since Day One).

The much more pertinent question is tarbat's, which unfortunately is very technical (densely termed sentence follows): Have Samsung fixed the EOTF for HLG over HDMI, and has anyone in Italy been able to measure it?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@SmartHUBtv wrote:

You're wrong and told by the administrator that only serves for Italian and not foreign as they are writing from all over Europe. this version enables the HLG HDR

But your picture proves nothing as we know the TV can receive HDR over HDMI. It does not show HLG. 

Are not the TV's the same in Europe or did Samsung make a different TV for each country in Europe? 

That's SkyQ's crappy software. Sky are using the UMBRELLA TERM "HDR" to mean "HDR10 or HLG", JUST like Samsung does in its own onscreen prompts.

SkyQ's interface will never use the specific term "HLG" so you are demanding a screenshot that will never exist.

I totally agree and it was pointed out that sky will be using HLG not HDR 10, but HDR covers all versions,  so I agree if the TV is showing HDR when signal is from a sky box then it must be HLG. If sky was using HDR10 for films then I think that would work over HDMI,  but you need HLG for live broadcasts,  I think. 

So we now wait to see if the firmware will ever come here,  and @AntS has told us that he is not aware of us being updated. 

ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi all.

Just a quick reminder! Could we all please keep this thread on topic and remember to abide by the Community Guidelines and the Samsung Community Terms & Conditions?

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@ChrisM wrote:

Hi all.

Just a quick reminder! Could we all please keep this thread on topic and remember to abide by the Community Guidelines and the Samsung Community Terms & Conditions?

Agreed.  We may have strongly held views but lets not stoop to abuse.

I think we all need to take a deep breath, calm down and wait to see how this pans out.  Hopefully our chums from the Italian form can keep us updated?

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@blenky wrote:

@ChrisM wrote:

Hi all.

Agreed.  We may have strongly held views but lets not stoop to abuse.

I think we all need to take a deep breath, calm down and wait to see how this pans out.  Hopefully our chums from the Italian form can keep us updated?

Agreed. 

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@tarbat wrote:
Has anyone with this new firmware actually tested some HLG calibration test content to measure whether the luminance response curve matches the correct HLG EOTF curve? If so, what was the maximum NITS measured on a 10% window at 100% luminence? On the old non-HLG firmware, the maximum was less than 500 NITS, so nowhere near the maximum luminance the TV is capable of.

Until someone does that, we have no idea if this test firmware completely fixes the HLG problem on KS TVs.

And here's the calibration chart I posted back in June demonstrating just how wrong the HLG EOTF curve is on the current firmware. If someone with the new test firmware can perform the same tests, that will prove that HLG is genuinely fixed beyond just the EDID fix.

1.jpg

Which external device were you using when you performed this test, and was there a noticeable difference when you compared the same HLG content via the internal apps vs an external device?

I ask because I've been able to get HLG via HDMI from my M9500 player for several months now, and playing the same HLG content from the TV's internal app and the M9500 player, the content looks identical.

I'm nearly 100% confident that the problem lies with whatever external device you are using.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@UHDHDR wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

1.jpg

Which external device were you using when you performed this test, and was there a noticeable difference when you compared the same HLG content via the internal apps vs an external device?

I ask because I've been able to get HLG via HDMI from my M9500 player for several months now, and playing the same HLG content from the TV's internal app and the M9500 player, the content looks identical.

I'm nearly 100% confident that the problem lies with whatever external device you are using.

So do  have you the calibration equipment to check this?

Paul

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

I'm confused.  Do you have a KS\JS TV?  One of the main issues on this thread is that no device connected via HDMI can pass HLG (exception being Roku+ or using HDFury).

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

I'm confused.  Do you have a KS\JS TV?  One of the main issues on this thread is that no device connected via HDMI can pass HLG (exception being Roku+ or using HDFury).

@UHDHDR shown HLG being passed to 2016 sets earlier in the year

link to discussion at the time

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/iPlayer-HLG-UHD-HDR-on-Samsung-s-J-and-K-Series-T...

cheers

0 Likes