Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 22-11-2018 08:10 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

I communicate that the firmware that enables HLG on the HDMI port was released in Italy for the 2016 TV. For now, thanks to the time dedicated to us by ERCOLINO of Digital forum, the firmware (1239) has been given exclusively to users of that forum who have requested it.

I've tested it and it works perfectly.

Very very odd!!  So you can only get it from a forum. Never heard of that before. Can you give us a ling to that forum and to the actual firmware so we can all enjoy it.

Not holding my breath.

It has actually happened before, IIRC a fella from a french forum received access to a beta firmware for another samsung TV and came to this forum asking for advice on how to downgrade.

I share your sceptism but the guy on the italian forum may have decided to release the version they where using for testing privatley due to korea being slow to push any potential update. 

If the information is correct then one of two things will eventually happen

1. Samsung will release the firmware

2. The firmware will leak from the forum

cheers

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

I communicate that the firmware that enables HLG on the HDMI port was released in Italy for the 2016 TV. For now, thanks to the time dedicated to us by ERCOLINO of Digital forum, the firmware (1239) has been given exclusively to users of that forum who have requested it.

Very very odd!!  So you can only get it from a forum. Never heard of that before. Can you give us a ling to that forum and to the actual firmware so we can all enjoy it.

Not holding my breath.

I said why it was given to that forum. I do not run the firmware to anyone because I do not even know if it is still in place for British TV. If you think it's not true, I do not know what to do with it. I have communicated the thing because, surely, soon it will be put on the net.

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

Not holding my breath.

I said why it was given to that forum. I do not run the firmware to anyone because I do not even know if it is still in place for British TV. If you think it's not true, I do not know what to do with it. I have communicated the thing because, surely, soon it will be put on the net.

Ok so what is the forum address please so I can keep upto date

Thanks

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

The firmware is not a beta version. It is an official firmware released by Korea. Digital forum is in contact with both Sky and Samsung. As the administrator has actively collaborated with Sky and Samsung in order to solve the problem of TV 2016, has been released to users of the forum to be able to test with Sky waiting for the official release for all. I remember that, for now, Sky transmits in HLG only in Italy.

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
Dazeboy
Explorer
Options
I can't register on the forum because of some strange section of the online form do you know how to translate it into English google can't seem to be able tk
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

The firmware is not a beta version. It is an official firmware released by Korea. Digital forum is in contact with both Sky and Samsung. As the administrator has actively collaborated with Sky and Samsung in order to solve the problem of TV 2016, has been released to users of the forum to be able to test with Sky waiting for the official release for all. I remember that, for now, Sky transmits in HLG only in Italy.

appreciate the info, I think people are very interested in the UK as Virgin media and various smart tv boxes such as the firestick are currently showing BBC HLG content. In fact the BBC have been showing HLG material since last year (hence the reason for this thread) 

cheers

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

Not holding my breath.

Ok so what is the forum address please so I can keep upto date

Thanks

The address of the forum is 

https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?194610-Sky-4K-su-Sky-Q-valutazioni-tecniche-e-domande-su...

But the firmware was only for a limited number of users. That number has already obtained the firmware.

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

So if we can not have a link, so can we have some sort of time scale?

Thing is we want the update not only for Sky but for BBC Iplayer HLG which the Iplayer app built in can not do, which is what this thread is all about.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

Thing is we want the update not only for Sky but for BBC Iplayer HLG which the Iplayer app built in can not do, which is what this thread is all about.

@paul1277 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

Seen the link you put here but not much use.

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

Paul1111, as mentioned, the firmware enables the HLG on the HDMI port. I do not believe anything else.

Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes