Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 06-07-2018 12:59 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

According to the Italian version of this forum someone from Samsung has stated that the hlg is being tested 

But they been saying this for sometime now. Is this for SKY edit fix?

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@gfsracing wrote:

According to the Italian version of this forum someone from Samsung has stated that the hlg is being tested 

The translated version of the Italian post says:

"As already indicated at the moment we are carrying out the tests and evaluations on the introduction of the HLG on 2016 models , since from 2017 onwards there are no problems, while on the 2015 or previous models it is not possible to execute the implementation."

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

And by all accounts those lovely 4k discs are gimped as well. 😞

What do you mean? Scientific technical details please, I haven't read anything negative about the bbc's HDR 4k blu-rays :smiling-face:

EDIT: I remember one negative thing. Americans whinging, with unrealistic expectations, that some of the footage in Planet Earth 2 (filmed over a period of many, many years, ie some started before 4k was around) was filmed on GoPros and scaled up from HD.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

@gfsracing wrote:

The translated version of the Italian post says:

"As already indicated at the moment we are carrying out the tests and evaluations on the introduction of the HLG on 2016 models , since from 2017 onwards there are no problems, while on the 2015 or previous models it is not possible to execute the implementation."

👍🏽 Let’s hope tests are successful and update is released soon for 2016 models. 

0 Likes
Dazeboy
Explorer
Options

@UHDHDR wrote:
So I stated a while back that HLG via the Samsung M9500 blu ray player produced a very oversaturated image with skin tone being extremely dark red. There was a firmware update on the M9500 that fixed the issue, and now HLG looks identical to the internal apps on the TV. Hopefully that's a sign that the HLG issues on the TV will be fixed soon as well.

Samsung also said that the M9500/M8500/M7500 would get HDR10+ this summer, but obviously I have no way of checking if this update added HDR10+ to the player.

Hi I recently bought the m9000 Bluray player and received a firmware update 1111. But the iplayer still doesn't receive the hgl4k stream does your m9500? 

Probably asked before but god there over 400 pages 

0 Likes
Tell
Explorer
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

ignore

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@Dazeboy wrote:

@UHDHDR wrote:
So I stated a while back that HLG via the Samsung M9500 blu ray player produced a very oversaturated image with skin tone being extremely dark red. There was a firmware update on the M9500 that fixed the issue, and now HLG looks identical to the internal apps on the TV. Hopefully that's a sign that the HLG issues on the TV will be fixed soon as well.

Samsung also said that the M9500/M8500/M7500 would get HDR10+ this summer, but obviously I have no way of checking if this update added HDR10+ to the player.

Hi I recently bought the m9000 Bluray player and received a firmware update 1111. But the iplayer still doesn't receive the hgl4k stream does your m9500? 

Probably asked before but god there over 400 pages 

I don't have iPlayer because I'm not from Canada. The reason I came here was because, for some reason, the issues regarding HLG and lack of HDR10+ were discussed more widely on this forum than on the North American forum. 

However, the M9500 does support HLG from YouTube. You can check it out by viewing these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrX0jzOecPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OCykbdEtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qShr3wsMOPQ

Prior to firmware 1111, these videos looked really bad. Oversaturated and extremely garish. Now they look exactly as they do when viewing them through the TV's internal app.

BobL
Journeyman
Options

I have now done some testing using the Roku Stick+ on my KS8000 TV to show BBC iplayer in UHD and have concluded the following:  Whilst it does eventually show the BBC UHD logo when UHD streams are available and working (although the stick+ often needs a power cycle as the iplayer app often locks up), the result is not as good as I was expecting as I have a media server with UHD content on it so I am able to make some reasonable comparisons. Some aspects of the iplayer UHD picture such as wider pitch views when watching football and perhaps overall better or more colours. But the negatives were that the general quality of the picture was not significantly improved and on occasions the image was jerky especially in high movement scenes.  Although my Roku stick was connected to my 5GHz Wifi sitting about 2 meters from the access point it often showed the dreaded buffering circle.  Since I have 200mb/s broadband, it is either the stick+ , the router or poor streams due to loading or problems at the BBC end.   I have decided to give up on getting BBC iplayer in UHD by adding a streaming device.  I will now wait for any development by Samsung for the K models (not holding my breath for that though).  I also have a Virgin Media V6 box that might get UHD so may try that but wonder if the K series TV will still not be compatible.  My longer term plan for UHD viewing is to be much more careful when buying my next TV in the hope that I can interpret what the small print is really saying and not take the headline claims as the whole story or perhaps even the truth.  Meanwhile I will keep looking out for other solutions to overcome the K series UHD issues but again not holding my breath. I have sent the Roku stick+ back now.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@BobL wrote:

I have now done some testing using the Roku Stick+ on my KS8000 TV to show BBC iplayer in UHD and have concluded the following:  Whilst it does eventually show the BBC UHD logo when UHD streams are available and working (although the stick+ often needs a power cycle as the iplayer app often locks up), the result is not as good as I was expecting as I have a media server with UHD content on it so I am able to make some reasonable comparisons. Some aspects of the iplayer UHD picture such as wider pitch views when watching football and perhaps overall better or more colours. But the negatives were that the general quality of the picture was not significantly improved and on occasions the image was jerky especially in high movement scenes.  Although my Roku stick was connected to my 5GHz Wifi sitting about 2 meters from the access point it often showed the dreaded buffering circle.  Since I have 200mb/s broadband, it is either the stick+ , the router or poor streams due to loading or problems at the BBC end.   I have decided to give up on getting BBC iplayer in UHD by adding a streaming device.  I will now wait for any development by Samsung for the K models (not holding my breath for that though).  I also have a Virgin Media V6 box that might get UHD so may try that but wonder if the K series TV will still not be compatible.  My longer term plan for UHD viewing is to be much more careful when buying my next TV in the hope that I can interpret what the small print is really saying and not take the headline claims as the whole story or perhaps even the truth.  Meanwhile I will keep looking out for other solutions to overcome the K series UHD issues but again not holding my breath. I have sent the Roku stick+ back now.

Your experience is completely different to mine.  On my KS8000 the UHD HDR stream from the Roku+ is fantastic.  Its colourful, sharp and smooth.  Mine is connected via 2.4Ghz and throughput has been perfect at all times. 

Did you set it up correctly? 

I also have a V6 and it in the trial so I can play the football in UHD - but not in HDR.  At the start it ahd a lot of issues but I think they have been sorted out.

Moily
Pathfinder
Options

@BobL wrote:

I have a similar setup to you and never had any buffering since it started apart a couple of short burts in one game, and never in the Wimbledon coverage.

One thing I will state is that if you're on Virgin BB and you haven't already then you MUST use a proper router and put the SuperHub in modem mode. The SHs are simply not fit for purpose as a capable router and we had loads of problems after getting Sky Q put in as it couldn't handle the traffic, even though most devices (inc all Sky Q boxes were wired). Wifi dropped out regularly and the SH often bricked overnight and needed restarting in the morning. On a good day you only had issues with wifi speeds. Using a recognised router in the chain will sort that for you.

As for the jerkiness in high-motion scenes I saw this when the display rate wasn't set to 'Auto' in the  Roku Advanced Settings, and since setting that I get it occasionally when the iPlayer UHD stream isn't handled correctly by the KS, i.e when the colours are also washed out. Toggling the TV source and restarting the stream fixes both these issues.

On that note, I notice this is happening most times when bringing the Roku out of standby. I look forward to the day I can ditch the Samsung and get an LG.

0 Likes