Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-07-2018 12:57 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Interesting to note while we've all been faffing and farting about the 4k transmission from the World Cup, NHK come in and quietly get on with an 8k broadcast chain of some of the matches.

So, all those going about how '8k ain't gonna happen for years', well it's happening, now. Right. Now. Today. Wonder how big 8k will be at CES 2019?

https://twitter.com/finalcutproes/status/1013391156804190208

Well, that's the problem (and reason why I won't be going for it). Sure it'll happen, but doesn't make sense for UK houses. At that resolution, you'd need a screen the size of my entire living room wall for it to be worth it. (because of the limits of human visual acuity- you know that chart by now I'm sure!)

American massive houses - sure, their residents can have their 100" 8k panels fitting in fine. They love that stuff.

UK houses? The TV manufacturers can rebuild all our houses first, then come back when they are big enough.

A lot of the BBC's content is still being released solely on DVD (that's SD) and NOT even on Blu-Ray (that's HD) !

We have a few lovely award-winning 4k discs from the BBC, but there's a long way to go since they are still not even fully in the HD world (of 2006) yet. 😞

On a related subject I predict ITV won't broadcast, or stream, anything in 4k HDR before either

• I die
  • I retire
  • ITV shuts down
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

Well, that's the problem (and reason why I won't be going for it). Sure it'll happen, but doesn't make sense for UK houses. At that resolution, you'd need a screen the size of my entire living room wall for it to be worth it. (because of the limits of human visual acuity- you know that chart by now I'm sure!)

American massive houses - sure, their residents can have their 100" 8k panels fitting in fine. They love that stuff.

UK houses? The TV manufacturers can rebuild all our houses first, then come back when they are big enough.

A lot of the BBC's content is still being released solely on DVD (that's SD) and NOT even on Blu-Ray (that's HD) !

We have a few lovely award-winning 4k discs from the BBC, but there's a long way to go since they are still not even fully in the HD world (of 2006) yet. 😞

On a related subject I predict ITV won't broadcast, or stream, anything in 4k HDR before either

• I die
  • I retire
  • ITV shuts down

@mrtickle Whilst technology  continuallly advancing would agree that few Uk homes would benefit from 8k at the present time and unlikely to be much content  in the near future.   http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tv/what-are-8k-tvs-when-arriving-11364243030396

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

HarryH
Apprentice
Options

Hi. 

I have bought a Roku 4K stick and trialing he wimbolden 4K on iPlayer.  Picture is stunning and I have the HDR logo when pressing i on the tv remote.  

However i have noticed the picture settings of the tv in expert settings are not showing maxed out to 20 backlight - does this mean that I am not getting true 4K  hdr.  

To lose the faded look I switch hdmi source once and then back.  

Thanks. 

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

I've found it quite surprising that the BBC are streaming both the Wimbledon and some World Cup matches simultaneously in UHD. I wonder just how many UHD streams the BBC can put out and if the number of people watching the Tennis eats into the number of people able to watch the Football at any one time considering we're told the numbers are restricted to tens of thousands.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@crashcris wrote:

I've found it quite surprising that the BBC are streaming both the Wimbledon and some World Cup matches simultaneously in UHD. I wonder just how many UHD streams the BBC can put out and if the number of people watching the Tennis eats into the number of people able to watch the Football at any one time considering we're told the numbers are restricted to tens of thousands.

Doubt that there would be sufficient bandwidth  to cope  effectively with more than two  UHD streams, know that some  users reported technical issues with the world Cup .   I've come out of the the Wimbledon UHD at  times to watch other  courts and have not had a problem re entering the service.   BBC recommends a wired connection for best experience though I have been fine using wifi for the tennis. BBC iplayer 4k Trial  Wimbledon UHD Guide

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

According to the Italian version of this forum someone from Samsung has stated that the hlg is being tested 

ne_on
Pioneer
Options

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/man-banned-every-john-lewis-14867279

Paul have you got something tell us. Helping out the Samsung community haha

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options
So I stated a while back that HLG via the Samsung M9500 blu ray player produced a very oversaturated image with skin tone being extremely dark red. There was a firmware update on the M9500 that fixed the issue, and now HLG looks identical to the internal apps on the TV. Hopefully that's a sign that the HLG issues on the TV will be fixed soon as well.

Samsung also said that the M9500/M8500/M7500 would get HDR10+ this summer, but obviously I have no way of checking if this update added HDR10+ to the player.
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Interesting to note while we've all been faffing and farting about the 4k transmission from the World Cup, NHK come in and quietly get on with an 8k broadcast chain of some of the matches.

So, all those going about how '8k ain't gonna happen for years', well it's happening, now. Right. Now. Today. Wonder how big 8k will be at CES 2019?

https://twitter.com/finalcutproes/status/1013391156804190208

• I die
  • I retire
  • ITV shuts down

And by all accounts those lovely 4k discs are gimped as well. 😞

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ne_on wrote:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/man-banned-every-john-lewis-14867279

Paul have you got something tell us. Helping out the Samsung community haha

@Anonymous User not me or @paul1111 

Have never bought anything from jl and the way they are treating some of their customers I never would. When you read some of the problems people have it does not surprise me that you could send so many back. What is interesting is jl are not accusing him of sending perfectly good tellies back so it seems that they have not even checked if they were faulty. Very poor. That is what the regs are for, and the retailer shod have proof that you are muss using the regs before banning you. I think its another reason not to buy from jl,  and I am sure it's  not helpful for them. I will also say that anyone who buys an appliance and it does not work as advertised send it back in the first 4 weeks,  which is your right when bought online. 

Paul