Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-07-2018 11:42 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
sewarner
Pioneer
Options

The women look great in UHD - lol.  I have no streaming problems today whereas it was a but stop / start yesterday with the football, maybe because more people were watching it.  Whatever it us, it’s stunning on my replacement LG B7 tv.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@sewarner wrote:

The women look great in UHD - lol.  I have no streaming problems today whereas it was a but stop / start yesterday with the football, maybe because more people were watching it.  Whatever it us, it’s stunning on my replacement LG B7 tv.

Now you have had the LG b7 for a bit how does compare to your ks,  and is the less brightness in hdr an issue? 

Thanks

Paul

sewarner
Pioneer
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@sewarner wrote:

Now you have had the LG b7 for a bit how does compare to your ks,  and is the less brightness in hdr an issue? 

Thanks

Paul

Ive been very impressed with the LG, overall picture is much better than the KS8000.  Uniformity across the screen whereas I had a bit of light bleed on the KS and some vertical grey bands on the screen which Samsung said were normal.  I’ve not watched much in HDR apart from YouTube videos and the BBC broadcast but what I’ve seen has been stunning and brightness doesn’t seem to be an issue especially as the tv is by a window.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@sewarner wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@sewarner wrote:

Thanks

Paul

Ive been very impressed with the LG, overall picture is much better than the KS8000.  Uniformity across the screen whereas I had a bit of light bleed on the KS and some vertical grey bands on the screen which Samsung said were normal.  I’ve not watched much in HDR apart from YouTube videos and the BBC broadcast but what I’ve seen has been stunning and brightness doesn’t seem to be an issue especially as the tv is by a window.

My personal opinion,  Wimbledon UHD is not as good as World Cup football.  Wimbledon looked washed out on my Ks9500 with Roku.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

My personal opinion,  Wimbledon UHD is not as good as World Cup football.  Wimbledon looked washed out on my Ks9500 with Roku.

Both Wimbledon and The WC are looking excellent on my JS in SDR.

Moily
Pathfinder
Options

Managed to catch the closing stages of the Wawrinka match tonight. Comparing the SkyQ 1080p BBC HD source with the Roku UHD HDR source really highlighted the differences, as the combination of the bright sunshine with the ever-increasing shadow made it difficult to track the ball in HD SDR but you could still make out the grass in the shadow on UHD HDR and follow the ball with ease.

So many sports I want to watch solely in HDR now..!

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@Jay108 wrote:

Both Wimbledon and The WC are looking excellent on my JS in SDR.

That’s interesting.  Perhaps issue with my internet. I will check again tomorrow. But on my tv Wimbledon did not look that good today.  

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

That’s interesting.  Perhaps issue with my internet. I will check again tomorrow. But on my tv Wimbledon did not look that good today.  

At first my Roku SS+ was showing a terrible picture. It was suggested to me by one of our kind and knowledgeable posters here to try switching the wifi band. I was initially on the 5G band but switched to the 2G band, the roku then went from about 11mbps to about 40mbps.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Interesting to note while we've all been faffing and farting about the 4k transmission from the World Cup, NHK come in and quietly get on with an 8k broadcast chain of some of the matches.

So, all those going about how '8k ain't gonna happen for years', well it's happening, now. Right. Now. Today. Wonder how big 8k will be at CES 2019?

https://twitter.com/finalcutproes/status/1013391156804190208

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666... My 8K TV will not be a Samsung!