Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 21-06-2018 11:47 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Blacko
Apprentice
Options

@blenky wrote:

@Moily wrote:

@Blacko wrote:

In respect of Roku streamer+ with my 65ks9500 which I got for the football 3 days ago I have to say I am most disappointed and much prefer watching it in hd. I had pretty much decided I would upgrade to sky q when they start HDR.

Not so sure now !

Something wrong with your setup, in that case.  The UHD stream blows the HD ones out of the water (when it's playing ball, that is)

Have to agree. On my KS8000 the Roku is superb.  PQ is fantastic. Makes HD look like SD.  What are your settings for the Roku?

Hi, auto display at 4k hdr 60hz, network signal excellent, 4.2.2 picture, washed out look, not a patch on hd colour, I'll grant a little extra sharpness, red shirts often seem orange switching inputs helps. Should I need to do this ? No, I'm returning Roku and will wait till I can get an not streamer with an ethernet connection, or who knows, Samsung may have come up with something.

0 Likes
Moily
Pathfinder
Options

wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@Moily wrote:

@Blacko wrote:

In respect of Roku streamer+ with my 65ks9500 which I got for the football 3 days ago I have to say I am most disappointed and much prefer watching it in hd. I had pretty much decided I would upgrade to sky q when they start HDR.

Not so sure now !

Something wrong with your setup, in that case.  The UHD stream blows the HD ones out of the water (when it's playing ball, that is)

Have to agree. On my KS8000 the Roku is superb.  PQ is fantastic. Makes HD look like SD.  What are your settings for the Roku?

Hi, auto display at 4k hdr 60hz, network signal excellent, 4.2.2 picture, washed out look, not a patch on hd colour, I'll grant a little extra sharpness, red shirts often seem orange switching inputs helps. Should I need to do this ? No, I'm returning Roku and will wait till I can get an not streamer with an ethernet connection, or who knows, Samsung may have come up with something.

What are your Samsung Picture settings? Have you tried switching HDMI inputs and back again?

0 Likes
Moily
Pathfinder
Options

I had the same with the Russia match last night. Washed-out colours, Russian shirts looking orange - swiched to HDMI1 back to HDMI4 (where the Roku is) and it fixed it.

Definitely a Samsung issue, not a Roku one.

0 Likes
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Be interesting to know if switching HDMI and back thens gives the correct colour band

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

I had to switch inputs last night as well.

The TV is obviously picking the wrong colour space sometimes when set to Auto, switching inputs and back again will be forcing it to pick the correct one.

Theres obviously alot more issues with HLG over HDMI that Samsung need to fix, more than just fixing the EDID.

0 Likes
Moily
Pathfinder
Options

Wimbledon to be shown in UHD on the iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44557119

so that will mop up some more Samsung KS owners who weren't particularly bothered about the football but will be miffed about not being able to see the tennis in its full glory on their expensive TVs!

When more and more UHD content is rolled out by the Beeb then Samsung will find themselves on the receiving end of a tidal wave of complaints, hopefully.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

In addition to @Moily post

"To include even more people for Wimbledon, the BBC is broadening its Ultra HD trial with selected matches also available to Sky Q customers. Sky will offer the latter stages of the tournament, including the men's and women's singles semi-finals and finals, in Ultra HD as part of the BBC's Ultra HD trial. Sky Q customers with a 2TB box will be able to access the Ultra HD feed from Centre Court via a pop-up/red button message while watching live on BBC One and BBC Two. Coverage will be in Ultra HD only and does not include the wider range of colours or HDR. "

So actually a lot of Samsung customers will have access to the UHD (but not HDR) feed for Wimbledon. Very surprised they didn't do this for the World Cup too!

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@Moily wrote:

Wimbledon to be shown in UHD on the iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/44557119

so that will mop up some more Samsung KS owners who weren't particularly bothered about the football but will be miffed about not being able to see the tennis in its full glory on their expensive TVs!

When more and more UHD content is rolled out by the Beeb then Samsung will find themselves on the receiving end of a tidal wave of complaints, hopefully.

People who are content with Roku perhaps should keep in mind that if Roku does upgrade firmware in the future it may stop working.  This is my main concern. Shame because I really like my ks9500 TV.

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@dunwell wrote:

In addition to @Moily post

"To include even more people for Wimbledon, the BBC is broadening its Ultra HD trial with selected matches also available to Sky Q customers. Sky will offer the latter stages of the tournament, including the men's and women's singles semi-finals and finals, in Ultra HD as part of the BBC's Ultra HD trial. Sky Q customers with a 2TB box will be able to access the Ultra HD feed from Centre Court via a pop-up/red button message while watching live on BBC One and BBC Two. Coverage will be in Ultra HD only and does not include the wider range of colours or HDR. "

So actually a lot of Samsung customers will have access to the UHD (but not HDR) feed for Wimbledon. Very surprised they didn't do this for the World Cup too!

I read somewhere that Sky offered to broadcast UHD for the BBC but they weren't allowed to due to some neutrality rules.

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@crashcris wrote:

I'm using the Roku SS+ and I think I'm not impressed so far concerning the actual game footage. Watched 5 games so far and the only one that looked sharp was the England game.  I've loaded a closely taken photo of a player and you can see all those artifacts surrounding him, looking like steam or an 80s pop video. Is anybody getting better than this? ps, I have a stady 48-55 mbps wifi.image1.jpeg

That's a bandwidth issue - I had the same on the PS4 app, then realised it was on WiFI - switching back to hardwired cured it.  

Perhaps trying it on a Wired Ethernet adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Ethernet-Adapter-All-new-Chromecast/dp/B01N1X28F1?

0 Likes