Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 15-06-2018 01:51 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

Nowt on Roku other than same old football loop 😞

It’s not where the loop is. If you exit the app and go back in it will show on the front page first item top left. If the item it doesn’t say uhd next to it then either the Roku isn’t supported or the uhd streams are full

cheers

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

@rozel

How does it look??

0 Likes
Fez15
Journeyman
Options

I’m watching on roku now 4K uhd not sure if it’s hlg it does look stunning. Backlight is at 20 contrast 100

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Same quality as football loop

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@amokuk wrote:

Ks series didnt do 3d

Gosh. I thought it did. That makes me happier knowing that my JS was the last of the 3D sets, I wish it handled HLG but wouldn't want it without the 3D. However if I had the KS, I'd certainly be looking to get a proper upgrade from a different manufacturer. However it seems like the reports are that thr Roku SS+ is performing well with the KS.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Yes I'd like to know what bit rate and actual resolution I'm getting info banner says HDR UHD 3840X2260 but that doesn't confirm what's coming through.  We need stats for nerds on Roku 😁

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

How does it look??

Looks good.  Key points:

1. 4K working great.
  2. WCG (rec.2020) working great.
  3. HLG gamma curve - still wrong, looks like it's using the BT.1886 colour splace 😞

So, overall the gain in resolution and colour gamut is great, but with theKS8000 using the wrong gamma curve I'm getting a washed-out picture with BACKLIGHT set to 20.  Need to turn the backlight down to 10 to restore normal brightness, but obviously I then lose the bright highlights.

Hopefully Samsung will fix the gamma curve at the same time as fixing the EDID.  After all, the correct gamma curve is used on the TV's internal apps.

1.jpg

dunwell
Voyager
Options

This would explain why the “test loop” didn’t look quite right to me from the start. 

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@dunwell wrote:

How does it look??

Looks good.  Key points:

1. 4K working great.
  2. WCG (rec.2020) working great.
  3. HLG gamma curve - still wrong, looks like it's using the BT.1886 colour splace 😞

So, overall the gain in resolution and colour gamut is great, but with theKS8000 using the wrong gamma curve I'm getting a washed-out picture with BACKLIGHT set to 20.  Need to turn the backlight down to 10 to restore normal brightness, but obviously I then lose the bright highlights.

Hopefully Samsung will fix the gamma curve at the same time as fixing the EDID.  After all, the correct gamma curve is used on the TV's internal apps.

1.jpg

Thanks for testing this!

So is it best to just watch with the backlight set at 10 and sacrifice the bright highlights? Atleast it also confirms that Samsung do have more to fix rather than just the EDID.

0 Likes
Neil81
Explorer
Options

Living in the UK, will I be able to get a refund or exchange by law if this TV NEVER gets support for HLG through HDMI? I think going the smart dongle route is a dead end with RGB Direct. Im sick and tired of this whole situation, as I'm sure many of you are.

0 Likes