Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 13-06-2018 12:26 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
MJM87
Journeyman
Options

In the UK at least, "broadcast" is neatly defined by OFCOM and it does cover iPlayer. Samsung used the phrase "broadcast service" which might be something different. The OFCOM code mentions "broadcast services" but doesn't give a definition. When I asked OFCOM about it they didn't seem to understand my question and I never followed up as I had my TV refunded.

Stormed
Pioneer
Options

I think the response from Samsung is contradicting, first they said that "Since BBC iPlayer is a third party application, it is the application provider that dictates the specific features or version that will be applied in any of our Samsung products." then they said "As of this time, we have no plans to enable the UHD version of BBC iPlayer on 2016 UHD or UHD Blu-ray players."

I'm confused by this, do they mean they can update iPlayer but they don't want to or are they waiting for the BBC to request it to be updated for our models?

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

The whole "implemented for broadcast" is ridiculous anyway.

Realisticly how many years are we away from people being able to receive HLG via the internal arial/satellite tuners?

In the UK atleast this would effectivly mean HLG being made available on freeview/freesat channels? I would say thats atleast 3 years away.

Ste_A
Explorer
Options

@MJM87 wrote:

In the UK at least, "broadcast" is neatly defined by OFCOM and it does cover iPlayer. Samsung used the phrase "broadcast service" which might be something different. The OFCOM code mentions "broadcast services" but doesn't give a definition. When I asked OFCOM about it they didn't seem to understand my question and I never followed up as I had my TV refunded.

Samsung should have made it clear when they said they would update the firmware to enable HLG for "broadcast services".

They should have said "terrestrial broadcasting" which would be clear to everyone. Most people define online streaming as a form of broadcasting. I think samsung knew it would cause confusion, anything for more sales.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Is the world cup match tomorrow going to feature on the BBC UHD Trial and if so what time does the transmission start please?

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Tomorrow's game is on ITV, so no.

The first BBC game is Friday at 1pm, Egypt v Uruguay.

rozel
Voyager
Options

Thanks - I'd forgotten about ITV :smiling-face:

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

Also, it cannot be said that the world cup trial is not going to constitute a broadcast service delivered over Iplayer.

It can be argued either way. 

To me there's "broadcasting" (which is something that needs a Tuner - Sat/Cab/DTT) and "live streaming over the internet" (which is something which only needs an internet connection) as different things. However I am a technical person.

BUT, to the man on the clapham omnibus, there's really no difference, and it's that which would surely matter in any court case.

But seriously, reading that Samsung response is like going back six months in time to page 1 of the thread. Can we please please not do the 300 pages all over again? :smiling-face:

Once Samsung had baked the old Encryption Media Extension library into the Tizen 2.4 OS used in the KS TVs, we were all set on a path which cannot be changed.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

Thanks - I'd forgotten about ITV :smiling-face:

Most of us have, long ago.

I honestly can't remember the last thing I watched on that channel.

Actually I can, it was the last ever episode of "Harry Hill's TV Burp" in 2012.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

Do you mean you're the one person who's not watching Love Island? LOL

0 Likes