Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 12-06-2018 05:41 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Gimpfont wrote:

Talk in the AVS forum... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-own...

The KS is noticing HDR Roku+, enabling it's HDR settings (backlight 20 etc.) however it is not playing the HDR correctly (in HLG)... may not be as simple as an EDID fix

I now get the football loop on my Virgin Media V6 as well as the Roku+.  I can't comment if it's displaying the HDR correctly but what I see with my eyes is that the non HDR picture from the V6 is impressive but  a SDR UHD picture. The picture from the Roku is as sharp but more vibrant.  It does not look over saturated to me. 

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

@Gimpfont wrote:

Talk in the AVS forum... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-own...

The KS is noticing HDR Roku+, enabling it's HDR settings (backlight 20 etc.) however it is not playing the HDR correctly (in HLG)... may not be as simple as an EDID fix

I now get the football loop on my Virgin Media V6 as well as the Roku+.  I can't comment if it's displaying the HDR correctly but what I see with my eyes is that the non HDR picture from the V6 is impressive but  a SDR UHD picture. The picture from the Roku is as sharp but more vibrant.  It does not look over saturated to me. 

Is the Roku displaying the image in HDR?

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

Can anyone confirm if the football test loop playing on the Roku in HLG looks over saturated on a KS?

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@UHDHDR wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@Gimpfont wrote:

Yes it does. Now my V6 has the same loop but in SDR UHD I can make a real comparison. Both look good but the Roku is brighter and more vibrant and 100% in HDR. 

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

No issues with colour saturation on the football test loop using a Roku SS+ and watching in HDR. 

0 Likes
UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

@UHDHDR wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@Gimpfont wrote:

Yes it does. Now my V6 has the same loop but in SDR UHD I can make a real comparison. Both look good but the Roku is brighter and more vibrant and 100% in HDR. 

Good to hear.

Perhaps only some content is being displayed incorrectly. The HLG videos I've seen via HDMI have been YouTube videos, encoded as VP9 Profile 2.

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@dunwell wrote:

No issues with colour saturation on the football test loop using a Roku SS+ and watching in HDR. 

Thanks! Good to know after just ordering one yesterday.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options
q2
@gfsracing wrote:

Maybe HD fury is not the answer 

Correct. HDFury is not the answer.  Nor is the Roku Stick+ or the Virgin Media V6.  In fact anything that feeds HLG to the HDMI inputs won't work.

I finally got some time today to check the gamma curve being used by the KS8000 when receiving an HLG source.  Despite what the Italian Sky Q users have reported, I don't think the KS8000 is applying the correct gamma curve.

I compared identical inputs on both my 2018 MU6400 TV, and the KS8000 TV.  It's obvious that the KS8000 is not using an HLG gamma curve with the rec.709 colour space. I can’t comment on how it handles HLG with a rec.2020 colour space.

1.jpg

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

Can anyone confirm if the football test loop playing on the Roku in HLG looks over saturated on a KS?

NO, it doesn't look over-saturated, but is overly bright in the 0% - 70% range.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@tarbat wrote:
q2
@gfsracing wrote:

Maybe HD fury is not the answer 

Correct. HDFury is not the answer.  Nor is the Roku Stick+ or the Virgin Media V6.  In fact anything that feeds HLG to the HDMI inputs won't work.

I finally got some time today to check the gamma curve being used by the KS8000 when receiving an HLG source.  Despite what the Italian Sky Q users have reported, I don't think the KS8000 is applying the correct gamma curve.

I compared identical inputs on both my 2018 MU6400 TV, and the KS8000 TV.  It's obvious that the KS8000 is not using an HLG gamma curve.

1.jpg

Hi can you confirm before I buy a roku or fury they will not work. Thanks. 

0 Likes