Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 12-06-2018 03:46 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

@UHDHDR wrote:

Yes I  think it may well be darn near impossible.   If I'm successful in getting a signal,  I'll wager my wifi won't be strong enough to get the best picture quality

Why not run a temporary Ethernet cable? It is a special event after all.

People are prepared to buy £45 Roku sticks but not a much cheaper Ethernet cable - strange! :smiling-face:

If any members of the household object, you could gentle explain that it's a special occasion.

0 Likes
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

The roku wont have an ethernet port to ***** t to it will be wifi only

the tv can be connected to ethernet but as we all know the inbuilt iplayer app is not capable of 4k hdr

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

the tv can be connected to ethernet but as we all know the inbuilt iplayer app is not capable of 4k hdr

I have a very good internet connection but the roku+ plateaus at about 40 to 45. If I get on should be good enough to get the max. 

The trick here is to try for the Friday afternoon match as people will be at work etc -  then again so will I :-<

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

I'm going to take credit for the Roku + appearing on the supported list ;->

I sent two complaints to the iPlayer team about missing the Roku+ and finally got this reply on 7th June.  

"Many thanks for getting back in contact.

I understand your frustration, especially if you had been able to watch Blue Planet II in UHD previously.

Sadly I would be unable to make any promises however, I will certainly stress your points when I pass them onto the Audience Feedback Report.

Rest assured, leave this with me and I will do all I can.

Thank you again for getting in touch.

All the best,

Ryan McIlwaine

BBC iPlayer Support Team"

Blacko
Apprentice
Options

I've been following this topic for page after page as an owner of a 65ks9500 and share the indignation of the many re. BBc iplayer but do wonder if the BBC is testing viewer numbers rather than HDR technology by now and as a Sky sports subscriber would consider upgrading to Sky Q when HDR comes to it.

But, I also reflect that I sit approximately 12 feet from the TV and often wonder at the quality of the picture in HD. Would 4K be that much better ? Also my viewing is mainly sports or outdoor stuff like countryfile where the lighting is mostly pretty uniform. What's HDR going to bring to that ?

Any thoughts dear readers

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

Argh, sorry. I forgot.

@Blacko, you need to think of HDR as something completely separate from resolution. It's not something that's only available at 4k resolutions - you'll find that for example, Amazon Prime HDR streams still go up and down the quality scale depending on bandwidth from 4k down to 1080p and even worse, but they'll still maintain their HDR.

HDR is striking and visible from far across the room. The broadcasters have slightly been caught out by this, and in some cases are considering 1080p-HDR instead of of 4K-HDR (I hope they don't do this, but you made the point yourself about viewing distance).

For me, the resolution is a red herring. For me, the addition of HDR (to ANY resolution) is as big a jump in quality as the change from Black&White to Colour. I'd say absolute max of 20% of the improvement is down to the resolution, and the other 80%+ is down to the HDR. Hope this helps you.

If you only remember one thing from my post remember this: in exactly the same way you can't see how good colour TV is on a black and white TV - you also can't see how good HDR is on an SDR display (which means the monitor you're reading this on, 98% of smartphones, your current TV, the paper if you print this out, etc). You have to see it in real life (preferably not a very brightly lit shop: there's a very good reason that they dim the lights in the cinema).

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

I don't agree that the odds will be miniscule.

This HDR feed is only available to those with a supported television or a Roku SS+

How many people now with HD equipment still don't even watch the HD channel? We know this to be a significant proportion.

How many people do you think, rather than watch it on their main aerial / sky / cable feed will choose to use the connected app of the iPlayer instead? I'd wager hardly any, except those who are desperate to watch in HDR (if they even know what that is) I'd be surprised if the figure even reached into 5 figures for some matches.

Yeah, the thing is we won't know until the first game (or are they also showing the opening ceremony in 4k, not seen owt about that).

I guess the other things to consider are local network quality, ping times, latency, and available bandwidth at the exchange, I'm going to go with the work's low latency 10Gb connection and see what happens.

The other options is Pubs pulling a 4K OTA feed directly off any one of the Satellites.

OH, I was also going to say why not run your Ethernet through a PowerLine or similar? Neat, tidy, and they will do 4k quality speed.

Gimpfont
Explorer
Options

Talk in the AVS forum... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-own...

The KS is noticing HDR Roku+, enabling it's HDR settings (backlight 20 etc.) however it is not playing the HDR correctly (in HLG)... may not be as simple as an EDID fix

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@Gimpfont wrote:

Talk in the AVS forum... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-own...

The KS is noticing HDR Roku+, enabling it's HDR settings (backlight 20 etc.) however it is not playing the HDR correctly (in HLG)... may not be as simple as an EDID fix

I've actually mentioned this before on here and on AVS. 

I've had the M9500 blu ray player since November, and although I can play HLG videos from the player via HDMI, there is clearly something wrong with the image. It's oversaturated, and the skin tones have this weird shade of very dark red.

gfsracing
Navigator
Options

Maybe this is why Samsung have taken so long with the update

Looks like we are dependant on the info from the US / Italy threads that state a fix is being worked on

Maybe HD fury is not the answer

0 Likes