Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 11-06-2018 05:27 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:
So what do you mean exactly? Are you suggesting that we definately won't see the World Cup transmissions on the Roku?

The demo loop is probably more to test your network capability to handle a 4k stream from iPlayer.

0 Likes
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Great news that the SS+ is now on the bbc list. 

Question for @tarbat - can you see any noticeable differnce in the PQ of the HLG football loop test clip between the KS and MU televisions when using the SS+? (Not counting the flickering menus)

rozel
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@rozel wrote:
So what do you mean exactly? Are you suggesting that we definately won't see the World Cup transmissions on the Roku?

The demo loop is probably more to test your network capability to handle a 4k stream from iPlayer.

I wondered that but now the Roku has been added to the BBC's Supported list of devices,  I must assume all will be ok at least for the World Cup  :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Eliotrw
Explorer
Options

I see what you are saying, and frankly more than that, i'm shocked they don't see that for them by far the best thing to do right now is to just UPDATE THE ***** TV's

People like you and I and as TastyBurger666 puts it as well, we will remember this next time we are buying a TV (or any device)

I have bought Samsung TV's exclusively since 2006 (about 5 in total)
And I have owned about 7 of the S series phones from 1 through to 9
I will not be buying any Samsung device(s) based purely on this issue in the future if i can avoid it believe me.

This is 2018 you just can't get away with this shocking customer service anymore, its a blatant and transparent money grab to sell new TV's

Guess what Samsung? No one want's to swap TV's like they do phones.

For now the Roku should put the trade off for a few months but certainly does not limit my move away form the KS7000 in the mid term to an LG B7 or the like.

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Question for @tarbat - can you see any noticeable differnce in the PQ of the HLG football loop test clip between the KS and MU televisions when using the SS+? (Not counting the flickering menus)

Yes.  The picture on my KS8000 in HLG mode was much better than on the MU TV.  On the MU TV I really wasn’t all that impressed, whereas on the KS8000 it was bright and vibrant.  Both TVs have the same HLG settings (Movie, backlight=20, etc), but the MU was underwhelming whereas the KS8000 was almost as good as the HLG and PQ demos.  It may be an environment thing - the 40” MU TV is wall-mounted in a bright kitchen, so even for normal viewing I have the backlight set to 15, whereas the 55” KS8000 has been calibrated at backlight = 7 for SDR, and 20 for HDR (both PQ & HLG).

EDIT: I'm guessing the lack of "Smart LED" function on the MU TV, and a lower peak brightness, and not being spec'ed to HDR1000 is why the MU is underwhelming!!!

1.jpg 

And to re-iterate. The Roku Stick+ was definately outputting HLG, as that’s what the MU TV reported.

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

Thanks @tarbat.

So just to clarify, case (2) is iPlayer app running in your Roku Stick+ , with its HDMI output going into one of the HDMI inputs on your KS8000 (via the HDFury) - with the HDFury just monitoring the data, ie no changes made at all to the EDID on the TV?

No. Case 2 was a direct connection from the Roku Stick+ into HDMI2 on the KS8000 TV.  Also tested connected to HDMI3 on my Yamaha YSP-2700 sound bar.  In both cases the HLG football loop played okay.

One thing I would say comparing the Roku iPlayer app and the iPlayer app on my MU6400 TV. When playing the HLG loop and then accessing the iPlayer menus, the picture flickers a lot and is very washed out.  On the MU6400, doing the same has no flickering and a good view of the iPlayer menus.

Interesting. So then the Roku Stick+ can correctly display HLG via HDMI on the 2016 KS series TV (just like the Samsung M9500/M8500/M7500 and Oppo 203/205) without requiring an HDFury. 

Good news.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@UHDHDR wrote:

Interesting. So then the Roku Stick+ can correctly display HLG via HDMI on the 2016 KS series TV (just like the Samsung M9500/M8500/M7500 and Oppo 203/205) without requiring an HDFury. 

Good news.

Yes, right up until the boffins, one day, mess around with the firmware.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@JTE wrote:

I don’t object to a few common sense work around solutions to accessing HLG BBC iPlayer but this thread has offered none and completely lost focus on Samsung who appear to be getting let well of the hook. We should be focusing on standard letters to send to the Chief Executive  or supporting those willing to go to court with retailers for miselling. 

Well said. If Samsung fixed the edid then most of this discussion would not be here. 

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

@JTE wrote:

I don’t object to a few common sense work around solutions to accessing HLG BBC iPlayer but this thread has offered none and completely lost focus on Samsung who appear to be getting let well of the hook. We should be focusing on standard letters to send to the Chief Executive  or supporting those willing to go to court with retailers for miselling. 

You can literally watch HLG on BBC iPlayer through the Roku Stick+, as has been outlined in this thread.

UHDHDR
Voyager
Options

Were you guys aware of the restrictions on viewing this in 4K HDR?

>>>>>>All 29 of BBC One's World Cup matches are scheduled to be made available in 4K and HDR.

But each will be limited to "tens of thousands of people" - the exact number of iPlayer-equipped devices has not been specified in advance.

To gain access, viewers must be among the first to click on the relevant home screen button just after each stream starts.<<<<<<<<

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44308154

That sounds kind of lame.