Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 10-06-2018 02:11 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
rozel
Voyager
Options

@tarbat wrote:

So just press HOME, and re-select HDMI4. That should show th info banner.

Ohh, whilst still playing the video, you mean?

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

@rozel wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

On a KS8000 TV, when playing HLG from the HDMI input it should show HDR UHD on the TV’s info banner.

DA9A478E-1F2D-4063-A16F-FD16C83519F2.jpeg

But how do you see that whilst playing a YouTube video.  Pressing the info button whilst playing doesn't bring anything up, whether playing or in pause.  And it still doesn't show if it's HLG.  Backlight moving to max 20 is the only way that I know of which confirms if the TV is playing HDR. 

As I said in my post, that’s with an HDMI input sending HLG, so it’s not whilst playing a YouTube video.  I haven’t found any way within the TV to see what gamma curve is being used.  On 2018 TVs you can see what gamma curve is being used in the Picture Expert Settings.

BTW, if you want to see what Colour Space is being using, go into the Picture Expert Settings, and under AUTO if RED has RED = 24, GREEN = 10, and BLUE = 3, then it’s rec.709. If instead RED = 50, GREEN = 3, and BLUE = 0, then it rec.2020.

Thanks but much too complex for me :smiling-face:  All I want is to see the banner, whilst playing a YouTube video via my Roku+, which is plugged into to HDMI 4 on my KS9500 TV

As stated in previous posts when the TV receives an HDR signal the TV's backlight will jump to 20, contrast will jump to 100 and SMART LED will go to high.   Using the Roku the TV info button will not bring up anything for me as I have it connected directly into the One Connect Box.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options
Same here. But I've just done what @tarbat suggested and yes I get the Banner - thanks, another mystery solved. But........................

Whist playing the TravelXP video on YouTube, via my Roku which is plugged into HDMI 4 on the TV's Connect box, I simply get HDMI UHD Color - no mention of HDR and yet..................................................

Backlight is up to 20 (max)

More confused :smiling-face:
0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

So just press HOME, and re-select HDMI4. That should show th info banner.

Ohh, whilst still playing the video, you mean?

Yes. Whenever you connect via an HDMI connection on the One Connect Box, re-selecting the HDMI input from the TV’s menu shows what it’s receiving on that HDMI connection.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options
Please see above post - we crossed. I am well aware of the Backlight jumping up to max when a HDR signal is received but how does it do this without stating HDR in the Banner? Guess the Roku is totally confused and probably why it doesn't feature on the supported list of devices the BBC has published.
0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel

That is odd.  Remind me what TV your have. On KS8000 the Roku does not play the YouTube video in HDR and the backlight stays art 10. However the iPlayer football loop jumps to 20. 

I'm out at the moment but will do some more checking when home

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

@rozel

That is odd.  Remind me what TV your have. On KS8000 the Roku does not play the YouTube video in HDR and the backlight stays art 10. However the iPlayer football loop jumps to 20. 

I have a KS9500.  Playing the TravelXP video on YouTube on the Roku + plugged into HDMI port 4 on the Connect box, I get the backlight jumping to 20, but no mention of HDR in the Banner.  Given all the messing about today, I'm wondering if the setting is stuck on 20 regardless!  When playing the Football Loop, I always get 20.  I'll pay around some more later.  Think I'll reset the Roku too

0 Likes
cattv1
Explorer
Options

Can someone please explain in simple in not too technical  terms where J series owners stand with the Roku stick and the 4K Iplayer

Thanks

Maurice

rozel
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@rozel

I have a KS9500.  Playing the TravelXP video on YouTube on the Roku + plugged into HDMI port 4 on the Connect box, I get the backlight jumping to 20, but no mention of HDR in the Banner.  Given all the messing about today, I'm wondering if the setting is stuck on 20 regardless!  When playing the Football Loop, I always get 20.  I'll pay around some more later.  Think I'll reset the Roku too

Well a bit more tinkering and huge apologies because I'm stupid.   My HDMI4 settings were set to Vivid!  Not "Movie".   Setting back to Movie now shows the TV Banner (using Roku) displaying UHD HDMI as before but backlight staying on 6.  This shows no HLG coming through after all via the Roku.   So not sure why it was said the Roku can play HLG on YouTube. 

I think I'll shut up now and wait for @tarbat to verify everything

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@rozel

On my TV playing the iPlayer football loop on the Roku+ iPlayer the TV's info bar displays 'HDR UHD 3840x2160 / 50p'.  Playing the HLG clip on Roku YouTube it displays 'UHD 3840x2160 / 50p'

Try reseting the input the Roku+ is connected to.  If the backlight was manually set to 20 it will always set it to that level whether its HDR or not.

0 Likes