Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 06-06-2018 01:59 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi guys.

This bit that I added after the official statement (to give you Community folks more than just the statement):

“2016 SUHD TV’s support UHD HDR HLG via Broadcast, Satellite & Terrestrial & from USB, not any other source. They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG.”

was the response I received when I asked the engineers about EDID and other ways of delivering HLG on a KS Series TV. I’d be very much inclined to interpret the above as no action will be forthcoming for enabling further means of HLG support on KS Series TV's.

My advice at this stage is, that as disappointing it is, it’s best to accept the situation for what it is, and from there, take the route which is best for you.

Given that there’s been discussion in this thread about alternative sources of HLG support, I’m happy to keep the thread open for that to continue if you wish; or someone can open a new thread on that topic/continue in any relevant ones already open if you guys feel that would be better for the sake of clarity.

@AntS So that's that then?

I think for the sake of closure it would be good to know whether it's even possible to update the EDID through a firmware update? I remember @tarbat once speculating whether it was possible because sometimes it can be stored in the EEPROM.

The worst part is that it's been proven that HLG does work over HDMI (If the EDID is ignored or changed with HD fury), and now everybody who wants to enjoy HLG through Sky, Virgin or any other external source is going to have to spend £200 on a HD Fury Integral!

crashcris
Voyager
Options

Even though this thread has evolved to discussions of alternative ways to utilise our TVs, I'd suggest keeping this thread going as it holds a great deal of useful information and it's all still relevent to the original subject.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi guys.

This bit that I added after the official statement (to give you Community folks more than just the statement):

“2016 SUHD TV’s support UHD HDR HLG via Broadcast, Satellite & Terrestrial & from USB, not any other source. They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG.”

was the response I received when I asked the engineers about EDID and other ways of delivering HLG on a KS Series TV. I’d be very much inclined to interpret the above as no action will be forthcoming for enabling further means of HLG support on KS Series TV's.

My advice at this stage is, that as disappointing it is, it’s best to accept the situation for what it is, and from there, take the route which is best for you.

Given that there’s been discussion in this thread about alternative sources of HLG support, I’m happy to keep the thread open for that to continue if you wish; or someone can open a new thread on that topic/continue in any relevant ones already open if you guys feel that would be better for the sake of clarity.

All well and good, but I don't have the means to drop that kind of money on a good TV at the drop of a hat, and contrary to what Samsung's business plan says, I consider a TV to be a long-term investment, and by that I mean longer than 18 months.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Seen the latest news and not very good. Seems this thread has been let down by Samsung. It seems to me they knew all this time which makes it worst. What now?

This thread can get no more answers now from Samsung so we could all say goodbye and let Samsung off.

Keep this thread going to see if any alternatives become available to get around problems.

Or if some want follow me and others who have got exchanges or refunds.

I think we all know about the smart connect miss selling but I got my refund from Samsung because the KS9500 would not record scheduled programs. I know this has been discussed elsewhere and everything but the TV was blamed, but I have proof that it is a known fault with the KS and even the 2017 Q series.  I have explained and shown the emails from the Samsung UK CEO's office where they clearly accept there is a problem and they could not fix it. I had an exchange for the Q9F which had the same problem (had a very dull picture as well). 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/KS-Owners-refund/td-p/358805/page/52

Under the consumer regs if you have owned the item for over 6 months you have to show the fault was there when purchased (I do not agree with this but that is the law). Samsung admits it is a known fault so no probs there. You have to give the retailer up to two attempts to fix the problem and as Samsung could not fix it then I think that means it can not be fixed. For all those with extended warranties then have a go and for those without you can still make a claim under the regs. There is also section 75 credit card regs which again this covers.

I think because most people do not use the TV recording feature which they do advertise, and use Sky or Virgin like I use to. It was when I got rid of Sky I found the fault, and to see if your TV is affected just try setting up a scheduled recording on to a USB drive or stick. If after a couple of weeks it stops recording then you have a scheduled recording fault.

Hope it helps

Paul

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Fez15 wrote:

Reply from Samsung Twitter.

Hi there,  We've had a reply from our colleagues. The official statement is "All of Samsung’s 2016 HDR TVs support HLG Broadcast technology (firmware update required). BBC UHD i-Player, however, relies on a mixture of technologies, not just HLG, to enable its streaming of UHD content. Samsung have no plans to support BBC UHD i-Player on its 2016 UHD TV Range." ^DT

Thankyou for relaying that to us.

We knew, but better to have it confirmed, that DVB-DASH support in the OS is the cause.

We already knew (John Archer's article and common sense) that Samsung can't upgrade the entire OS on older hardware with an older chipset. Again, better to have it confirmed.

But their silence on the EDID issue is maddening. We've all moved on from discussing the built-in iPlayer app, we've known for many months that is a cul-de-sac.

The only thing Samsung should be answering is a commitment and timing of the firmware which will fix the EDID.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

@AntS wrote:

Hi guys.

All well and good, but I don't have the means to drop that kind of money on a good TV at the drop of a hat, and contrary to what Samsung's business plan says, I consider a TV to be a long-term investment, and by that I mean longer than 18 months.

@AntS Why is so difficult for Samsung provide answers with clarity.  We are left to interpret their response. EDID have been discussed to death here on this thread.  We all want to know why Samsung sold as a TV with this major fault and not wanting to rectify this.  I spend over £5000 pounds on  Samsung 78KS9500 your flagship TV.  Samsung rep on the floor sold it as future proofed for many years to come.  I have had this TV just 1 year and its already out of date.  I really think Samsung should fix this issue or provide us with a work around .    Please can you conver this message back up your management team. 

hancox
First Poster
Options

Indeed, fix EDID, which is a known bug, and not a limitation, or expect a stream of refunds.  Madness.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options
@AntS wrote:

Hi guys.

@AntS. I'm glad you are now posting again. I know you meant to help by adding your own sentence at the end. However, Instead of asking us to guess and interpret your self-contradicatory sentence in various different ways, which as you have read today only sparks off even more disagreement, why not give us a sentence which 

(a) is factually correct (the above is not: "They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG" is a FALSE STATEMENT as discussed, and scientifically proved, ad nauseum)

(b) addresses the only thing we now care about, NOT the built-in iPlayer app: the very easy simple fix to properly support HLG over HDMI not only for devices which don't check the EDID (as happens now perfectly fine, because once again, the statement was FALSE) - but also devices which do check the EDID. For this to happen, you need to correct the EDID.

Thankyou.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hancox wrote:

Indeed, fix EDID, which is a known bug, and not a limitation, or expect a stream of refunds.  Madness.

I think @AntS has been quire clear,  there will be no updates for the ks,  so no edid update. They want you to buy a new tv. 

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@hancox wrote:

I think @AntS has been quire clear,  there will be no updates for the ks,  so no edid update. They want you to buy a new tv. 

To me the EDID issue is a BUG not a feature.  Surely Samsung have to take responsiblity for fixing this BUG.